February 28

Blog #48 – Free Speech during war time?

During the Great War, the United States went to great lengths to stop people from expressing their views on the war and the draft. According to historian Sean Dennis Cashman, Wilson that war “required illiberalism at home to reinforce the men at the front. We couldn’t fight Germany and maintain the ideals of Government that all thinking men shared…once led into war, [Americans] will forget there ever was such a thing as tolerance” (505).

So, in order to set Europe free from tyranny, the government had to restrict more of Americans’ rights. Historian Howard Zinn has written at length that part of this suppression was done to keep Americans from expressing their anti-war sentiments/feelings:

– Why should we get into a war that we have no interests in? This is only about European colonialists, not U.S. interests;

– Why should I be drafted to go protect France or Belgium? (only 73,000 volunteered in the first 6 weeks after Wilson declared war on Germany in April 1917);

– Why should we spend millions and millions of our tax money to do this?;

– Why should we join a war that current French soldiers are beginning to mutiny against? (in essence, why we should we join a losing fight?);
– Why should we break away from our tradition of isolationism? It’s served us well for this long (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it);

So Wilson and Congress together got tough on this kind of anti-war talk and anti-draft interference w/ the Espionage Act of 1917 and the Sedition Act of 1918. The Supreme Court affirmed that we do NOT have the right to free speech as long as it creates a “clear and present danger” (much like yelling “FIRE!” in a crowded theatre like Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes jr. so eloquently phrased it in the 1919 court decision, Schenck vs. U.S.).  Under these acts, a person can be fined up to a max of $10,000 (almost $200,000 in 2012 dollars) and given a 20 year sentence for interfering with the sale of war bonds or the draft, or saying anything profane, disloyal, or abusive about the government. Obviously, these laws violate the 1st Amendment.

A speech like this one by Eugene Debs is the kind of thing that got him in trouble and thrown in the big house:

“Wars throughout history have been waged for conquest and plunder. …the
working class who fight all the battles, the working class who make the supreme
sacrifices, the working class who freely shed their blood and furnish their
corpses, have never yet had a voice in either declaring war or making peace. It
is the ruling class that invariably does both. They alone declare war and they
alone make peace. They are continually talking about their patriotic
duty. It is not their but your patriotic duty that they are concerned
about. There is a decided difference. Their patriotic duty
never takes them to the firing line or chucks them into the trenches.”
(emphasis added)
*Debs was sentenced to jail for this speech and while in jail ran for President under the Socialist Party for which he received almost one million votes in 1912 and in 1920! Website for Debs: http://www.eugenevdebs.com/

During wartime, there is a feeling that certain ideas may be considered dangerous, traitorous, or even downright unpatriotic. Many have been accused of such things when criticizing their government during times of war, and our history book mentions some of them.  As I mentioned above, Eugene V. Debs, a Socialist Party leader and candidate for the Presidency, was sentenced to ten years in prison and fined $10,000 for “speaking out against the war and the draft” (Danzer, et. al. 392). Anarchist Emma Goldman was convicted and sentenced for creating a No Conscription League and then was deported to Russia after two years in jail. 

But my questions still remain:
1. Is questioning your country’s conduct during a war o.k.?

2. Should asking questions about how the war is conducted, about the tactics being used (torture, waterboarding, etc.), about how the goals are being met (or if they’re being met at all), or is it all worth the sacrifice of all the young men and women’s lives??

3. Is this line of questioning during war time o.k. or does it make you unpatriotic? Why?

Your response to these three questions should be completed by Tuesday night, 11:59 p.m.   300 words minimum for all three questions. 

Tags: , , ,

Posted February 28, 2013 by geoffwickersham in category Blogs

70 thoughts on “Blog #48 – Free Speech during war time?

1. Jenna Weed

I definitely think that questioning a country’s conduct during wartime is a healthy, natural human tendency, but in the end the government is in control and we have to stand behind them, regardless if we agree or not. We all have our own opinions on how America should operate and support during a crisis, and humans tend to voice their opinions and discuss and argue a lot, which can get out of hand. However, we elected the government officials to run our country because we believe that they would carefully make the best decisions for America and for the people. So, I believe that we as American citizens can quietly have our own opinions, but must stand behind our government and our soldiers as one united country.
    I strongly feel that questions should be asked and answered with as much honesty as possible. It is important to let citizens know that their efforts and sacrifices are going towards a beneficial cause and that our country is conducting safely and morally. However, there is a line to be drawn when it comes to questioning. Some circumstances are classified and not released to the public. It is hard to specify what the public should or shouldn’t know, and we as the public have no way of controlling that. There is no committee to oversee that the public knows vital information and that questions are answered, and I don’t think this will ever happen. Questions vital for the public to know should be answered, but the government is going to keep classified information from us to “keep us safe” whether we like it or not.
    I don’t think questioning during wartime is unpatriotic necessarily, but rather unnecessary or pointless, because the government does what’s best for the people. When it comes to asking innocent questions to ensure the United States is being righteous, I think that is ok and expected because all people, especially Americans, are curious. Also, Americans are nosy and need to make sure that what we are supporting is accomplishing what it needs to, like the government and the fighting in the war. Citizens need not to question because even though this country is a democracy “by the people and for the people”, people will most likely not be able to change anything during a time of war. We just need to keep calm and support our country. It is worse if there are arguments because troops won’t feel the support they need and it can worsen our chances at winning a war. Questioning is unhealthy for our country because we need all the support we can get. People who question are not being team players and upset the goals and efforts given to achieve the established goals.

2. Michael Shi

Although it may impact the war effort negatively, I believe that it is okay to question your country’s conduct during war. Citizens should have the right to voice their opinions on whether or not they agree with their country’s actions. I do not agree with the Supreme Court decision that speaking negatively about our country’s conduct during war presents a “clear and present danger” today. Perhaps speaking negatively about the war could have presented a clear and present danger in the early 1900’s, when the public opinion affected the war more, but I do not think that it presents the same danger today. Although the vast majority of citizens will not take into account all the factors that go into the decisions that the government makes, I still think that it is okay for citizens to express their beliefs.

I believe that as long as goals are being met, citizens should not question the tactics being used during war. The average citizen is uninformed about every detail of the war and their opinions therefore should not be taken into account. The men and women who sacrifice their lives fighting in the war volunteer to fight and therefore accept the duties given to them by the government and their risks. However, citizens should still be able to question the government if they want to under their right to free speech.

This line of questioning during wartime is okay and does not make one unpatriotic. Questioning the government and its actions is natural for any citizen and was even how our country was founded. In fact, this line of questioning could even be considered patriotic because it follows the principle of democracy of the people ruling the nation. If we had not questioned the British government, the United States would never have been founded.

3. Alex Cross

1. I believe that you should be able to question your countries conduct during wartime, to an extent. You should always be allowed to say your opinion. An as americans we do have the right to freedom of speech in the first amendment. But, of it causes a problem within our own government, then it should not be allowed. We are in a Democracy so the people should always have a say.

2. I believe that the american people should always be allowed to know what is going on in the war and how it is being conducted. Its our right as americans to know this. It is very important for people to know what our soldiers are doing out there while sacrificing there lives. We are sending our own countries people into war and should have say on what is going to happen to them and what there status is. As long as we do not go over the top and start revolting because of the war or its decisions, then we do have the right to ask questions and know what is going on.

3. People who speak out againts their own country are defiently unpatriotic. But this is just excersing your rights as a citezen of the united states by questioning what your country is going, and you have the right to know. It is not unpatriotic to want to find out what your country is doing. as americans we have the right to know. If we had no idea what was going on, or even just a small clue what was going on, our country would always be in a mode of panic. We want to see our country thrive and succeed, that is the only reason why were asking questions. If we didnt care about how our country does, then we wouldnt be asking any questions at all.

4. Marta Plumhoff

I believe that everyone has a right to questions our government’s decisions in order to create a better country for our people. America is a democracy, and unlike some countries, the people do have a say. Although what some of the people end up saying isn’t always agreeable to everyone in the nation, doesn’t mean that they don’t have a right to say it. It’s perfectly okay to question, because that can make things better, it can inform other people of things going on and it can help the war effort. But even if it didn’t, it’s still okay to question, because free speech in a right that cannot be repossessed. To me, the issue isn’t whether or not it’s okay for people to question our war effort, but whether or not it’s okay to take those rights away. In my opinion, it’s not. America was primarily created because the colonists didn’t have any basic right, including free speech. Because colonists could not freely express their grievances with Britain, when instituting America they established our nation on the foundation that every citizen was entitled to basic rights such as free speech. To take those rights away when not used to the government’s preference would be to completely invalidate the basis on which our country was founded. So although, citizens speaking out against the war effort could in fact be detrimental toward it, there is no choice on whether or not to allow them to have this basic right.
    Regardless of whether or not questioning is allowed, questioning our government can help the war effort. There is no doubt that questioning and protesting our government’s tactics and decision during a war can lessen moral and dishearten the country. However, sometimes this protesting does lead to better things; it can point out mistakes and wrong-doings in our country’s judgments. Protesting against things that people believe are wrong can result in the government realizing and fixing mistakes in the war effort. It can help our leaders recognize new tactics that need to be made, the next move, and whether or not the war is worth the effort. Without that, America could be fighting in wars just because Congress got angry or wars that aren’t worth American time, lives, and money. In fact, questioning our country’s war tactics isn’t just not unpatriotic, but it is completely patriotic. It shows that you care about your country and what is going on in it and that you want it to improve. America is all about doing what’s best for the people, and protesting is a way to voice that. Being able to protest and question, especially during wartime, isn’t just an undeviating right for all Americans, but it often can be beneficial.

5. Aliyah Mcilwain

Questioning your countries conduct at war is okay to an extent. I believe the people should be able to say how they feel without being chastised for it; everyone has the right to an opinion. As long as that opinion expressed the correct way and doesn’t harm anyone else or make the situation worse the people have a Constitutional right to voice it. You can’t start a civil war at home because you don’t agree with the big war away.
    In my opinion I don’t think non-military personnel should ask about how war is conducted because some things are done for a reason. Yes, something’s are extremely inhumane but are they aren’t being used for the fun of it all; they’re being used because something else equally inhumane is done towards them. We should be electing officials because we trust them and they are qualified to do their job. If we don’t believe there qualified then we shouldn’t have elected them. Since they know what they are doing, I don’t think we as civilians, who don’t understand the things that occur during war, should question how the job gets done. It is okay to question the importance of a war to the worth of the lives fighting in it, but in doing so it should be done in a peaceful manner.
    I don’t think this line of questioning makes a person unpatriotic. I think the line of questioning makes you a person who cares about the actions and safety of their country, and the men and women who fight for our country. Unless you start an uprising against the government creating more problems, or start slandering the actual soldiers that fight for our country, I don’t think voicing your opinion makes you unpatriotic. Men and Women don’t go to war because they like to fight, or so we hope, they go because they care about your safety; so, to start slamming them for protecting you is just wrong.

6. Bridget LePine

1.I know a lot of people think we should be able to voice our opinion and exercise our right to freedom of speech, and I agree with this… to a point. I think it’s great that we do have freedom of speech in America, and I don’t think any of us really value it as much as we should. However, when our Countries conduct during wartime is the topic of discussion, I don’t think any of us should question it. Most people just talk to talk, and half the time don’t really know what is coming out of their mouths. I don’t think that these people who are uneducated on the war should be able to question our Countries choices and judgment.
    2.I think we should be informed on our status in the war. But I don’t think we need to know every single detail of what’s going on. Knowing too much wont benefit us. Information on tactics/weapons/ect. could be leaked to other countries. Knowing too much would also probably scare some people more than war already does. If our country was trying more risky tactics in war and the public knew they would probably want to stop it because they would think more risk would equal more deaths, but in reality it could end up being a huge advancement in helping us ending/winning the war. I think we all need to have faith that our country is doing what they believe will benefit us best.
    3.I don’t think questioning your Countries conduct during wartime is unpatriotic, but I wouldn’t call it patriotic either. Yeah some people are going to be curious, but this doesn’t necessarily make them unpatriotic. It doesn’t mean they aren’t for America. In my opinion though we should ALL honor the decisions our congress made and understand that their goal is for our country to succeed and be the absolute best it possibly can.

7. Anna Daugherty

1. Is questioning your country’s conduct during a war o.k.?
    I believe that questioning your country’s conduct in war is completely normal. People question their country’s conduct constantly, even when we aren’t at war. However in the end the government has the final say. But that doesn’t mean the people can’t have their worries, complaints, and ideas. Expressing ones beliefs is something that is important. That right should never be taken away from citizens.
    I think that citizens asking their government questions about the tactics used is important and should be taken seriously. However, it is understandable that citizens do not need to be informed of all the exact tactics, especially if those tactics are working. But, on the other hand when you truly think about it people should know what their sacrifices are going towards. It seems only fair. Of course there will be things that the government will keep secret, there always is. But, the public should get a general idea of what’s going on.
    I believe that it is totally fine! Actually, instead of looking at this questioning of your country as unpatriotic, you could view it as being patriotic. You just want the best for your country, so questioning the government I fine. You are just looking in the best interest for your country. As citizens there is not much you can truly do to change the course of things. So ultimately in the end you will have to stand by your country. But no, this questioning is not unpatriotic. People can be curious and patriotic at the same time.

8. Sam

1.Yes, it is acceptable to question your country’s actions during a time a war, if you are residing in a country that practices democracy. Since the 1st amendment gives us the right to “speak freely” we should have the ability to voice our opinions about events related and un-related to our country. As long we are not attempting to “forcefully” change someone’s views on the subject than it does no harm to questions the decisions that our government officials make. They are after all humans and can make mistakes, especially when it comes to warfare. If we elect them into power we have the right to be heard on important issues such as war.

2.Yes. I believe that it is acceptable to ask questions regarding the tactics/methods used to win a war. In a country where the “people” rule the government, it can be said that the people should have a say in major events that take place. However, looking back on previous wars, the United States has done a pretty good job at coming out on top and keeping its people safe. Also, the men and women that are bravely sacrificing their life in times of war understand that the government is doing all that they can to ensure there safety. As for the torture that is just unacceptable, it upsets me to know that government officials have sanctioned awful acts on our “enemies”.

3.I think that it is patriotic to question the actions of the government because the people make up the government. I believe that the American people should use the first amendment to good use and stand up for what they believe in. However, it is crucial that one does not over step their boundaries. It is unpatriotic to try to impose your opinions on others.

9. Amanda Burcroff

1) I believe that questioning your country at any time, including wartime, is both necessary and beneficial. We cannot just accept everything the government does, for even our leaders can make huge mistakes. Sometimes those who are deeply involved in the war don’t see the horrors being committed, and it is up to the public to ensure that the US acts morally. America prides itself on our freedoms, and what are we doing if we deny ourselves the very basis of our country. Questioning should of course be limited to just that, and should not involve violence or direct interference in the war efforts. Also, if the country itself is in immediate danger than the main priority should be to protect lives instead of freedoms. But otherwise, the public can and should act as the conscience of our nation as we attempt to get involved elsewhere in the world.
    2) Although there are certain cases where withholding information from the public to prevent the failure of the war effort is necessary, the citizens should be allowed to evaluate the war methods and goals to ensure that it is worth it. If the public is not given this right, government officials can push their own agenda, even if it is not in the best interests of the country, without hindrance. The government is not always right, but by letting the public express its opinions we can help make sure that nothing too extreme occurs.
    3) Questioning during wartime, in my opinion, actually makes one more patriotic than blindly accepting what is presented to them. A citizen who is genuinely concerned for the welfare of their country and upholding its principles would want to examine the government’s choices to check that they were working in the country’s best interests. However, questioning citizens should not strictly enforce their opinions but only express concern, for too much interference could disunite the country and ruin the war effort.

10. Will Briggs

1. Simply put, yes. First, having a logical, well thought out argument or conversation leads to more balanced ideas, that may be better than the ideas you started with. Simply listening to what people and the government tell you will not help create beneficial opinions. Second, speaking freely and openly is one of the ideals our nation was founded on, and if we took away that right, then we’d be no better than our British oppressors. However, there should be a point where you can be arrested. For example, if your peaceful protests turned to violence, or promoted blaming the war on soldiers, a certain race or religion, etc. *cough Westboro Baptist Church cough.*
    2. We should definitely ask questions like that during war time. Asking if a war is just, or if it’s worth it, are important to keeping ourselves in line, military wise. Granted it doesn’t seem to do anything anyways, for example, Guantanamo Bay is still open, although most people agree that the activities conducted there are questionable at least and an grievous attack on human freedoms at most. Another example would be the protests during Vietnam, plenty of protests, but we still stayed involved with the war for 11 years. But even so, questioning your government can help if they ever listen.
    3. Is asking questions unpatriotic? No, because the majority of the times, you’re asking questions to hopefully help your country. Unless you’re asking questions like, “What’s the best gun to use to assassinate the President?” or, “I wonder what the secretary of state’s favorite sandwich is?”, you’re probably thinking for the greater good.

In short, talking and questioning your government is usually a good thing, as long as it doesn’t go too far… Like to crazyness….

11. Anne Kozak

Wartime is always more complicated, and so is riddled with more exceptions than during peace. On the other hand, the United States had always advocated for rights that would make it harder for the war effort, as well as democracy. The issue of questioning a country’s choices during wartime requires a complicated answer, since everything from economy to daily life is turned inside out and backwards. Not only this, but when a country is committed to morals, nothing is ever easy—whether in peacetime or out. Ideally, during wartime and with the American perspective, government leaders should be able to make as many choices as possible with the opinion of the public in mind. However, not only can information be dangerous in the wrong hands, but the United States people should also be able to trust their leaders and the leaders’ opinions—having voted for them. As well, the people control all the inner workings of the country—factories and farms, military troops, and income to the government through taxes. Rousing these people through anger towards a war is dangerous not only to the war effort, but also the country itself, since it is on a thinner thread while at war. I believe that people should be able to question their country with several things in mind: Who chose war? Would questioning war make things harder for the government or for the people themselves? The government should hold conditions with the people such as: no workers’ strikes, and silence on certain topics while telling the people why. I believe that people also have the right to know some tactics, but only as long as they won’t harm the war effort. Goals met, for example, would count as dangerous intelligence before they are carried out, but the public should know about these things as soon as possible. In terms of sacrificing lives—this is the part of war that breaks down morals completely. With war, there will always be the unnecessary sacrifice of lives that could have done a lot of good in the world. I don’t think any opinion would be able to sway that idea. Even the ‘war-hardened’ at least know they’re not doing something right, and only kill through necessity. Finally, I believe that, whether or not questioning will help the country, it does not make one unpatriotic. America is a free country, and they try their hardest to act in the name of democracy and freedoms, despite the hypocrisy they meet on the way.

12. Darab Khan

I think that it is okay to question your country during wartime. As long as it isn’t horribly offensive and treasonous, I think its fine. Free speech is one of our rights after all. That’s what makes this country great. Freedom. If you take that away Americans wouldn’t be happy. Sometimes if you are concerned about your country’s welfare, you have to question your countries conduct. Living in America we as American citizens should have the right to express ourselves, even during wartime.
    As for the tactics that the government uses, that’s up to them. They have to do, what they have to do. It’s their job to keep us safe, and if it means using some sketchy methods against some bad people, I’m not against it. However I do believe they shouldn’t do these things on suspects. When you have proof do whatever you believe is necessary. Otherwise you could ruin someone’s life. But yeah, they do what feel is necessary to keep us safe. American citizens should have a pretty good picture about what is going on. The gruesome details that are left out are left out for a reason. Not everybody needs to know what happened. Some things wouldn’t hurt if we knew but others might. That’s why we have people specificaly trained to take care of these things.
    This line of questioning is ok. It is not unpatriotic. It just shows that you have concerns about your country. If anything I think it shows patriotism. It shows that you care enough about your country to be willing and speak up for it. It would be unpatriotic to just sit back and let whatever happens happen to your country, even if you know something is wrong. To show concern isn’t anything bad, nor should it be. To plainly just go against what your country is doing for no valid reason is.

13. Laine Boitos

1. No, I don’t think that questioning your country during war time is acceptable. If the nation is already in war, than questioning it would do absolutely no good. It makes no sense to be against your nation when it is in a crucial time. War is something that should bring a nation together, because although it is a terrible thing, people tend to unite under it. The government has enough going on during a time of fighting, there is no room for senseless complaining. Questioning the president and congress’ decision on declaring war would be pointless on so many levels. A time of war is no time to decide that you don’t like the country’s policies. Whether you agree or not, you support the U.S. and show some patriotism for the nation. Many people would rather not be fighting overseas, but the pride they have for their country surpasses any concerns they may hold. America is a great place to live, and the government is extremely respectable. All people should respect the decisions that they make, and not question what the nation does during a time of fighting and chaos.
    2. I think that the way that the war is conducted is something that should be kept to the people in the military. Unfortunately, there are some cruel forms of torture that are used in today’s wars, and I think that people would become even more no edge if they found out about the things that are done. The people that fight for our country are able to handle all of the terrible things that come to them. Many people do not have the heart to be able to torture people, and those that do are greatly respected. There are some things that should be kept behind the scenes and the conduct of war accounts for one of those things. I don’ t think that it is worth the loss of hundreds of lives, but I trust that our military knows what they are doing, and that our country will always do what’s best for it’s people.
    3. Yes people that speak out against their own country are unpatriotic. Questioning the war is one thing, but speaking out against it is something completely different. If someone goes out of their way to deny the respect that their country deserves is absurd. I don’t like some things that happen during the wars today, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to speak out and protest the war. Curiosity is one thing, but blatantly stating that you don’t approve of the methods used is ignorant and unpatriotic. People don’t understand half of the things that comprise the war, so they shouldn’t make claims that our military is doing something wrong.

14. Ben Kue

Is questioning your country’s conduct during a war ok? Well, define OK. Is questioning your country’s conduct during a war Oklahoma? The state in question was the 46th state to enter the union, as well as being the 28th most populous. Oklahoma’s name was derived from the Choctaw, American Indian people indigenous to the Southeastern United States, words “okla” and “humma”, which means “red people”. And so, this begs the question, is questioning your country’s conduct during a war red people? At first glance this question seems ridiculous and absurd, just by looking at it one might assume someone must be going way out of their way to misinterpret the question. Red is a color that is synonymous with love, as well as blood and communism, but mostly love. Taking this into mind, the revised question now read as: is questioning you country’s conduct during war love people? “People” is the name of a magazine that is popular for controversial stories about celebrities that may or may not be a huge load of crap (I apologize in advance to those who fancy People Magazine). And despite what others say, these types of magazines continue to print whatever material they desire. Now adding this, the new question is as follows: is questioning your country’s conduct during a war love writing controversial stories that may not agree or support other’s opinions and views? To be perfectly honest, I am torn on this issue.
    I know no better way to answer the question than through one of my favorite movies. In Disney’s Mulan, a young girl faces tragedy as she finds out early on her father is drafter into to army in order to fend of the approaching presence of the Huns, lead by Shan Yu. Mulan questions this decision, seeing that her father was injured some time ago and is incapable of serving the army. She then disguises herself as a young man and leaves during the night in order to take her father’s place in the army. From there, the movie is a feel-good comedy/drama/action/romance/thriller filled with laughs, heartbreaks, and Eddie Murphy. In the end, Mulan proves to everyone that she is a independent, confident Chinese woman who don’t need no man. She marries Li Shang in Mulan II, but that’s beside the point. Mulan questions her country’s conduct during the war, going to any means to keep her father safe, this shows that sometimes going against what your country wants is a good thing, or it at least turns out alright. The point being, questioning your country’s conduct during a war is ok.
    War is a confusing matter in all honesty. When did we, as a species, resort to such terrible and vulgar methods of solving disputes? From guns to torture to words, man has had the intent to hurt other with these since the dawn of time. And is it worth it? Are all the sacrifices for war justified? Is war the only if not best means to an end? But as part of the populous, I’m not sure if these questions should be asked. Should we just turn a blind eye and let Jack freeze to death? Or is it in the best interest of us, as a whole, to ask: are you sure there isn’t enough room for two on that door, or wall panel, or other various piece of floating wood? Even though the stability of this analogy is shaky at best, the question of our questioning still stands. I feel that we do have a right to ask questions, but not to be answered. I believe that it would be best if the public didn’t know some things, like if the development of mustard gas was revealed to the people, crowds would flee in fear of hot dog salesmen everywhere. Or if a man prancing around movie theater shouting “Snake kills Dumbledore” at the top of his lungs to every pedestrian who passes by, the world as we know it would fall to ruin. To sum things up, people should ask questions, but not be told, because sometimes, I’d like to just find out what happens to Dumbledore myself.
    Is asking questions during wartime unpatriotic? Asking questions is as unpatriotic as eating a hot dog during NASCAR on the Fourth of July, which is to say, sort of. Questioning during war is a lot like NASCAR in a lot of ways. Its fast, no one really knows why, and at any moment, a person may crash and explode sporadically. On the other hand, asking questions does show that you may be unfaithful, if so, don’t tell Chris Brown. But in the end, I don’t think it makes you more or less patriotic than your average Joe, or even your above-average Joe. I think the public just feels unsure of things and is worried, not that it means that they’ve lost faith, unless that’s what the thing I just described means, in that case yes.

15. Jalen

I strongly believe that having the right to question the government during a time of war under reasonable circumstances is an essential right every person should have. I mean under reasonable circumstances because if people over exalt or defame something about the war, they could create hysteria. There should be certain limits that are set upon by a diverse inclusive committee that monitors the activity during wartime. I know it sounds terrible that we need to be restricted, but sometimes it’s necessary to succeed. Abraham Lincoln suspended habeas corpus because he knew it would eventually lead to victory. Wilson did what he saw fit to lead the nation during war, and he acted upon it. I think that the government having the power to suspend certain liberties during a crisis is necessary. But maybe giving the power to the president can seem to many people as tyrannical. Maybe giving the power to the senate would reassure the people that even when people’s liberties are being taken away, it still is democratic.

I think this is essential to running a stable democratic government during times of war. How are you supposed to uphold democratic statutes at home when you are giving basic freedoms to people in a foreign land? It’s a double edge sword. For a people to invest their energy and time into war effort and to have the war go into a direction that doesn’t align with democratic beliefs should seem outrageous. The government should inform the people about the war because there wouldn’t be a reason not to unless horrific crimes or tactics are being used. But the most important reason to question the government is whether the lives of our future leaders’ are more important than the freedom and security of our future leaders’ children’s future. If these basic questions aren’t asked, the people have every right to protest a government that wont release these answers.

I think it all depends in what you say or do to question the government. For example, anarchists promoting the overthrow of the government would be an example of how questioning the government would be unpatriotic. Demanding that the government release information about how the war is being lead or its possible mistakes is necessary to assure the public that what they’re supporting is something they believe in. This is essential for the trust that the people put into the government.

16. Alexa R

Yes and no people should question their countries conduct during war. It brings down soldiers moral during a time when they need all they can get. People also always do better when they know they have support and if everyone in the country. I’m sure the soldiers already know the war isn’t supported in the first place when they go but people should go around talking about how much we don’t need to be there and how much it’s a waste of time effort and money the soldiers already know it they already know they are sacrificing their time and maybe a their life for America we should just support them the best way we know how and pray that our government ( that we voted for in the first place) made the right descion to take us to war and even if it isn’t don’t worry about just keep support and hope that your family member comes back safe. Like my grandma always says if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say anything.
    No I feel like we shouldn’t be asking questions about how the war is being conducting. There doing what needs to be done to win the war. We shouldn’t question their tactics because we don’t really don’t have the right were not there fighting. I bet it’s the people sitting at home watching the news who are the ones saying that there tactics are wrong. You don’t see too often the soldiers complaining because they know what there being asked to do is for the betterment of the American future and they know without a doubt that people in the country there fighting against won’t take the time to debate whether its ok to do it to them
    This line of questioning makes us human whether we ourselves are on the battlefield or watching in horror from our homes, we will debate the tactics our country employs. We will question whether a certain weapon or attack pattern is overzealous and results in overkill. We will question our countries stake in that territory. We will question what our country stands to gain from fighting this war. It doesn’t make us patriotic or unpatriotic it makes us human to question the why and how we are killing our fellow man.

17. Michelle Confer

Yes, I completely believe that Americans-or any country- should be allowed to question their country’s conduct during war time. The first amendment guarantees us the right of free speech and expression no matter what, so therefore that freedom should not be revoked under ANY circumstances. Just because we elect our leaders, doesn’t necessarily mean we always tend to agree with their decisions. In 2004 president Bush was reelected for a second term because the majority of Americans thought he would be fit to do a good job in his second term (or better than the other candidate). However many Americans were upset when the first part of the Iraq war began in 2003. When the war continued and worsened through his second term many Americans, including those who voted for him were very upset and spoke out about it and skeptical on the real motives for going into it. I know that my parents did not like turning on the news to hear that more and more lives were lost every day. Many people, myself included, do not like the idea of war and I believe it is healthy and important to be able to express that freely.
    I do also believe that asking questions about how the war is being conducted should be answered as well. As a leader of our country I believe it is your duty to be loyal and truthful to its people. Granted I know this is rarely fulfilled, especially during wartime, but it is the right thing to do. Now there are some boundaries for the extent of which these questions can be answered, due to the safety of our troops and citizens, but as far as the number of lives lost, that should be answered truthfully because it is disloyal to lie to the people. We deserve to know if the war id being effective or not and if the goals are being met.
    I don’t think questioning during war time is unpatriotic. If you are simply trying to find truthful answers to your questions and expressing your views with facts to back them up, then that should not be oppressed by anyone. However, if you are saying nasty things about the U.S. in general or lies about the president, then that is certainly unpatriotic. But even though we know this is morally wrong, it still cannot be taken away by the government because we are entitled to free speech no matter if we agree or disagree with what the other person is saying.

18. Kelsey Nowak

Questioning your country’s conduct during war is expected but not always a good thing. People have a right to free speech and to ask questions, but in the process of doing this, morale will drop. Lack or decline of morale will lead to less public support for the war effort. Having support for the war effort is important to the country’s ability to fight a war. An example of this is during WWI. During this war the public had very little support for the war and as a result the country was worse off for it. The opposite to this situation is World War II. This war brought us out of the Great Depression and powered us through to be an economic powerhouse and world power. However, the people need to keep the government and military in check, by asking what they’re doing.
    Following the ending of the last question, we should ask some questions of our country. We should try to keep our country in check because that is the true meaning of this country. There is always a certain point in time when the country must ask upon whether or not we should go along with the war any longer. Sacrificing the lives of others for a cause that is questionable, as in the Vietnam War, the public should be able to address the Government. However there is a point in which a country becomes so invested in a war that it would be wasteful to pull out. At that point, the public really shouldn’t be questioning the war, but rather supporting, lessening the harsh effects of it.
    This line of questioning will label you as unpatriotic by a lot of people, but it is not. The Constitution itself says that if the people didn’t like the current government, they have the right to change it. This does not mean, however, that it will help your country doing wartime. Again in the case of Vietnam, there was a severe lack of public support and our troops felt the impact of it. So as unpatriotic as it may sound to question a war that our government had decided to go into for our country, it is in reality extremely patriotic. It shows that people of the country have to some degree, a concern for the troops that we send in a war. However, making a war totally unpopular, as we did with WWI and the Vietnam War almost makes the troops not want to go to war. In conclusion, there is a fine line in which we asa country should question our government during a war, but not so much so that it makes the country not want to go to war and make the government use the dreadful draft.

19. geoffwickersham (Post author)

1. One of the things that made and still makes are country great today is the right of freedom of speech. Are government was founded to be a people’s government, guided by the voices of the people. So how can you tell the people just to shut up and a critical time such as when the country is in war? And it might be hard for the people to swallow but we elected the people that declare war, and for some instances war is declared on the behalf of the people’s direct eagerness. Once we are in war the government has the right to do what it must to create national security and victory in war, overall the governments job is to run the country successfully put there to do so by the people and the government should try to listen to the people and according to them but they do have the right to shut up the people if and when necessary. Let’s say you’re in fight, you’re already in it and there’s no way you will willing back out, run away, that’s not an option when you get in a fight you plan to finish it win or lose, even if your friends are yelling at you to stop, or giving you advice, just hearing these things are frustrating while you’re fighting, you’re in the fight, so you’re going to give it your best and try to win, and the fact that your friends are yelling such things to quit, to run away, or trying to tell you how to fight while you’re in the heat of combat is a very aggravating thing, so for the moment they are no longer friends of yours, you ignore them, turn a deaf hear, and focus your attention to the fight and the fight only. This is what the government is like at wartime; I see it personally as being very reasonable.
    2. Questions should be asked about how the war is conducted, which is very different form questing the war entirely. Questions should be asked because these are lives of people we are talking about, not a board game where pieces can be spared without a real feeling of loss. These are humans and if the government is using these lives without good reasons or in bad manners than these methods and the government itself should be questioned.
    3. It is an unpatriotic to not support a war your country is in, you’re on their team you should be rooting for them. It’s like seeing that kid last fall, that you know is from Michigan, wearing his San Francisco Giants hat and you kind of want to beat him up, but instead you nicely ask him to relocate to a different state. But I suppose there is nothing wrong with being unpatriotic, country sometimes do dumb things and we shouldn’t support them at these times so I suppose it depends on the war but if you really love your country you’ll support them even if they suck.

Noah

20. Sydney Alexander

1.) I believe that questioning your country’s conduct during a war is o.k. Not only should this be o.k. In every country, but especially in the United States where we pride ourselves on freedom of speech. As an American, you should be allowed to voice your opinion as “loud and proud” as you so choose. How can we call America a democracy if we are suppressing the people that are supposed to be “in charge” of the country? If the government gets so angry about citizens questioning their country’s conduct during war, what are they hiding?

2.) I also believe that asking questions about how your country is conducting their role in the war is also o.k, as long as it does not interfere with the goals that need to be met by the country. I believe that questions should be able to be asked about what is being done to succeed during war, however some detailed examples such as torture or combat could be overwhelming to the citizens back home. This could cause the citizens to get upset about the very gruesome part of war, and lose sight of what needs to be done in order to maintain security and safety back home.

3.) Finally, I believe that questioning during times of war does not make you an unpatriotic citizen. Questioning your country during war time makes you a curious and genuinely interested citizen. It shows that you care enough to ask what is going on. It also keeps the government on their toes. With citizens questioning, the government has to be careful with what they do/how they conduct themselves, and they have to make sure they are being progressive. If citizens are allowed to question their government, then goals could be reached quicker and processes could be conducted properly.