May 16

Book Assignment #2 – 2018

Due Friday, 6/1 by 11:59 p.m.  500 words minimum.  

Please include the title of your book in your response.  

a. Summarize your reading for that part; also, this might be the part to examine bias in the book w/ specific examples.

b. Connect a historical thinking skill to your book segment – contextualization, comparison, change and continuity over time, synthesis, cause and effects, periodization (including turning points).

c. Connect your reading to something we’ve studied in APUSH.

d. Make predictions as to where your story will go (in your last assignment, this needs to be an evaluation – Give the book a grade – A, B, C, D, F – and a recommendation to keep the book for next year or ditch it and why).  This would also be where you can examine your connection (or lack thereof) to the characters or events.

Posted May 16, 2018 by geoffwickersham in category Uncategorized

55 thoughts on “Book Assignment #2 – 2018

1. Adrienne Konopka

I’m reading The Murder of a Century by Paul Collins. Parts of a male body have been discovered around the city, and right now we don’t know who did it or why. The police have been slow to act and most of the action that’s taken place so far has been encouraged and pushed by the reporters. The police really isn’t doing much, as a matter of fact they tried to play off the murder as just a mrs school cadaver that washed up. It wasn’t until that the reporters started pushing that the police grudgingly ruled it a murder, but still didn’t really investigate it. As a matter of fact, most of the investigating that’s taking place is being done by the reporters. A common theme we see is the police turning a blind eye to matter misfortunes and not wanting to do much work.
    This is happening during the gilded age, so between the civil war and the turn of the century. In the novel we see people living in tenements and most people aren’t wealthy. The Pulitzer and World are at their peaks and the newspaper business is highly competitive. Comparing this to now, it’s very different. Now newspapers aren’t as important and reporters aren’t really the ones doing any hard investigating, the police actually do their jobs. And in the novel murder’s really the only news, while today we have lots of access to news and activists from all around the world.
    The reading connects to when we learned about the gilded age in apush. There was lots of corruption during the gilded age, and this is talked about in the book as well. It mentions how a lot of people on the police force were fired for being involved in corruption such as taking bribes. There were also “bosses” that were in charge of cities that had most, if not all, of the city under their control. We learned about how people lived in tenements and how the poor didn’t have much, and this is shown in the book as well.
    There’s lots of directions that this book can go. Right now a somewhat disgraced police officer is trying to track down where the cloth that the different body parts were wrapped in came from. I think obviously we’ll have to first figure out who was killed, and then why and by whom. It might also be the story of this officer kind of rising back to good favors within the department and getting his old job back. I give this book a B, because while it is very interesting it’s a little slow. However it is still the beginning of the book so there’s still time for it to pick up. I really like murder mysteries, so this book is right up my ally. I’m not really connected to any one character as of right now, I’m not particularly invested in any one story. I am very intrigued by the murder however and I really want to know who he is and why he was killed.

2. Megan Zacharias

Orphan Train pt. 2

Summary: Dorothy had been working for Mrs. Byrne for a while when she learns that the stock market has crashed. Mrs. Byrne stops coming to dinner and she becomes distressed. During the harsh winter, Fanny knits Dorothy a pair of fingerless gloves. Mrs. Byrne slowly fires all the household workers leaving only Dorothy and Fanny. One day a man named Mr. Sorenson from the Children’s Aid came to the house. Dorothy becomes very upset that they wanted to send her away. Mr. Sorenson takes Dorothy to a small farm where she is needed to take care of Mr. and Mrs. Grote’s children. Unlike the Byrne’s place, Dorothy will be able to go to school. This home has no running water or electricity. Mr. Grote built the house himself and is determined to be self-sufficient, only getting food by hunting and fishing. Dorothy comes to like school and her bus driver Mr. Post, and her teacher Miss Larsen. One-night Mr. Grote calls for Dorothy. She senses something is not right with him and she tries to leave but he molests her. Mrs. Grote comes down and yells at Dorothy and tells her to leave. Dorothy then walks in the cold winter night to her school. Miss. Larsen decides to take her to her boarding home until Dorothy gets a new home. Dorothy is taken care of very well by the landlady Mrs. Murphy. She gets her own room, good food, and clean clothes. Mr. Sorenson comes one day, and they arrange for Dorothy to live with some of Mrs. Murphy’s friends who needed help. In the other half of the book’s story about Molly’s perspective, she has come to enjoy working for Vivian and seeing the old items in the attic. Molly talks about her Native American heritage and how she was named after Molly Molasses. She then talks about a school project where she must interview a relative about their life growing up. Molly decides to interview Vivian. Through this we learn that Vivian is indeed Dorothy.

Contextualization: As seen when Mrs. Byrne must fire all of her workers, the great depression was impactful and devastating. Many people had invested in the stock market, and it was booming. People relied on this to make money to live. This, however, did not last long. When the stock market crashed, millions of Americans started to lose their jobs. People would get odd jobs to earn as much as they can for food for their family to survive. There was also the dust bowl. Farmers had to deal with continuous dust storms, killing their crops and seeping into their homes.

Connecting to APUSH: Throughout this year we have learned about the prevalence of religion in American history. Colonists originally came to America to have freedom of religion. There are the first and second great awakenings where people are connected through religion and inspired by preachers. For many of the kids on the orphan train, religion and trust in God is something they hold on to. Earlier in the book, Dutchy continually says that they must trust God and know he will be there for them. Dorothy also enjoys reading the Bible because of the religious influences from her mom.

Predictions: I think that Dorothy will stay in her new house for a while. I don’t think the home will be as bad as her last, but not great either. I think she will be moved to a new house at least one more time. I also predict that she will become lonely and soon want to find Dutchy like they promised. I don’t really have any connections to the characters because I’m not an orphan and I have a constant home and supportive family. However, I do think about what I have heard about my grandfather’s experience of living through the great depression. His dad had to have odd jobs like selling pencils to earn money and all the kids in the family had to get jobs in order to support the family once they were old enough. My grandfather had to hand his entire pay check over to his parents. 

3. Katie Lucken

In the second third of The Society for Useful Knowledge, by Jonathan Lyons, the Royal Society for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge is introduced. It received its first official charter in 1662. When prospects looked to the colonies, they were greatly influenced by the fact that many founders and major figures in the colonies were members of the Royal Society. These members included William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, and John Winthrop the Younger, the governor of Connecticut. Also in this section is a small section of eight pages of pictures and captions that are related to the book. One of the images depicts Benjamin Franklin in the midst of his kite and key experiment, surrounded by children. The artist titled the piece “Benjamin Franklin Drawing Electricity from the Sky”, and explained how he was often seen as an otherworldly character due to his scientific achievements with lightning and electricity. This connects to the chapter because it describes the men leading scientific achievements in the colonies, and even in England, as leaders of their time and often people to look up to. They were always men that pursued greater learning and wished to uncover the secrets of their environment and the world around them. This last point is the main idea covered in the second section of The Society for Useful Knowledge. The bias in this book is in favor of the usefulness of the Royal Society for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge, but also in favor of the American colonies in their pursuit of scientific advancement. The men that pursued this knowledge were idolized and looked up to, and this author seems to do the same.

An area of the second section of The Society for Useful Knowledge that represents a change in continuity is how about 50 years into the colonies’ life, American colonists began to foray into science, even though most people in England believed they were only good for collecting samples of new plants, animals, and specimens and sending them to England. An example of this is America’s first botanist John Bartram. Although at first he was technically employed by men of the Royal Society to collect plant samples and seeds and things of that nature, he eventually began to strike out on his own, which is a break from the tradition of many American scientists who mainly assisted England’s scientists’ studies.

This section connects to something we’ve studied in APUSH by talking a lot about Common Sense by Thomas Paine. In APUSH, we often discussed the impact books had on American thinking and even resulted in changes to society. Other books like Common Sense are The Jungle, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Feminine Mystique, and Silent Spring. These books all either brought issues to the forefront of American minds or influenced thinking in the country, which was heavily discussed in the second section of the novel.

I predict this story will go on to talk about later influences of Benjamin Franklin, the Enlightenment, the Royal Society, and works such as Common Sense by Thomas Paine on the colonies and then the country as America shifts from being a ruled nation to a democracy after the American Revolution. I think this because this section ends on discussing Common Sense and other influencers of American thinking. My connection to the characters or events in this section is the belief in natural science and truth in nature. I also think that a country is advanced by advancements in science and education.

4. Dominic Gullo

Book: Lincoln’s Last Days,
    by Bill O’Reilly

A. The next part of my book details the final stages of John Wilkes Booth’s plan. Sitting in Ford’s theater one day (because he’s an actor), he overhears that Lincoln will be attending the play that night. Booth knows that this is the perfect opportunity to kill Lincoln. The next few chapters describe the final hours before the play. That night, Lincoln and his wife are to pick up their guests and head to the theater. Lincoln’s bodyguard that night is a drunken idiot (so obviously that factor plays a huge role). At the same time, Booth is having the final meeting with his “assassin” group, and threatening anyone who wants to back out. Two people are to kill Secretary of State William Seward, one is to kill Andrew Johnson, and Booth will kill Lincoln. Booth is successful because Lincoln’s bodyguard leaves the theater to go to the pub next door. The two men fail to kill William Seward, but they do severely injure him and his family. The man in charge of killing Andrew Johnson is drunk and doesn’t do it. After Booth shoots Lincoln, he jumps off the balcony where Lincoln was sitting and breaks his leg. Lincoln is carried into a house next door and layed on a small bed. Booth and his men manage to escape across a drawbridge and head to Maryland. That’s pretty much where I am right now.

B. Lincoln gets assassinated in April of 1865. This is only a couple weeks after the civil war ends. At the end of the war, there was a lot of pride and nationalism in the Union states, but many people in the Confederate states were upset about the war’s outcome. This included people like John Wilkes Booth. There was already hatred toward Lincoln before the war, but this increased after the war ended and slaves in southern states were freed.

C. If I had to connect this book to something that we’ve studied in APUSH, I would compare it to the 9/11 attacks (okay just hear me out). 9/11 was a series of attacks that caused chaos and spread fear throughout the country. The Lincoln assassination was also part of a series of attacks on the United States government, which also caused chaos and spread fear. Both were awful events in American history.

D. Now that Lincoln is dead, I assume that there will be a lot of chaos within the country. I assume what follows Lincoln’s death is a period of mourning throughout the nation. I also feel like there’s going to be a massive search party for John Wilkes Booth and his “team”. I know a lot about this stuff already so this isn’t really hard for me. I feel that the murder of a president will cause certain tensions between the north and south, and will damage what Lincoln was trying to repair. Lincoln wanted to repair and rebuild the nation, but now that he’s dead, Andrew Johnson is going to mess things up.

5. Devin Woodruff (3rd Hour)

A) I am currently in a couple of weeks into reading my book the President Is A Sick Man. As I keep reading this book it gets better and better by each day I read this book. This book continues to tap into all of the things that i like mystery and politics. It keeps leaving me on cliff hangers when I finish a chapter or I have to stop reading the book. The book begins to tap into the newspapers and how they are going to have a big impact on president Cleveland and the things he may or may not do while he is gone from the white house. Furthermore, it talks about Cleveland leaving for his trip on a boat and or going near the sea. It tries to focus on a report and how it finds it odd that the president has been gone for awhile on a trip that people aren’t that focus that he’s been gone for a little while. It was interesting reading a chapter about this because many report would have not tried their best to dig so deep into the truth but this guy wanted to.

B) Some historical thinking that I could connected to reading my book during this week is a cause and effects towards maybe if the pubic did not such a laid back approach towards the president leaving the white house then maybe this reporter would have not tried to expose Cleveland that there was something more going on than they wanted to let us know. Furthermore, their will be change over time and or that could affect his presidency and the outcome that could happen. The turning during the chapters that I read would say when he decided to go on his “trip” which would then send the new outlet crazy because all they wanted to know was where was the president at and what was he doing.

C) If I had t connect something to what we have studied in apush on the topic that I have studied so far i would see the post and or the pentagon paper. I say that because all the whole them behind free of press and what you should share vs what you should not in order to protect american against national security. During the chapter I am reading its important theme around this reporter that is willing to go to any lengths in order to find more information about the president. Furthermore this also connects to apush because the post was a big story that had a lot of impact towards the president and his role as many people saw it as that he was trying to hide something. Also the could connect back to the point and does everyone need to know what the president does and is it best to sometimes keep things in order to keep us safe and not to upset the balance of life.

D) If I had to make a prediction oh where my story will go I would say that we will start to go more into depth about why the president is on the secret mission. Maybe it’s because of his heart. Hopefully as I keep reading I can find out why he is on here. Also the new papers might be getting closer on the story on the president and why he left. So far as we began to near the end of the book I would give this book a B+ as each day I read it gets better.

6. Henry Berthel

Isaac’s Storm

A) Even though the Cuban meteorologists predicted exactly where the storm was going to head, the overconfident American weather bureau ignored them, and made their own predictions. The hurricane then passes over Cuba, just as the Cuban meteorologists predicted. They predict that it will continue towards Texas. However, the American weather bureau disagrees with them again, and they believe that the hurricane will moves back towards Florida, instead of going to Texas. Before the storm actually hits Texas, the reader gets to see how life is going for many of the citizens in Galveston, Texas. Many of them are not worried about the storm as much as they should be because the U.S. weather bureau believed that it would head towards Florida instead. Some of them were worried though, including Isaac Cline, the meteorologist, who the author, Erik Larson, centers lots of the story around. Once the storm finally hits, things get more and more chaotic the longer it is there. The storm starts off by flooding the streets, which is not very unusual for the city of Galveston. However, residents of Galveston soon figured out that this was going to be worse than a normal storm, when water levels began to rise and conditions got even worse. As the storm began to destroy tons of property and kill many of the city’s residents, people who were caught in the storm became even more isolated from the rest of the world, as all news and telegrams stopped being sent. Nobody knew what was happening inside the storm except for the people already in it at this point.

B) The context of this book was that it took place right after the end of the gilded age. The effects of the gilded age are present in the story. Galveston is a perfect example of an urban city emerging right after the gilded age ended. In this city, we see the economic difference between the rich and the poor. It is obviously not the main focus of the story, but it is present. Also, you can compare this hurricane to hurricane katrina. Both hurricanes were devastating in the southeastern United States.

C) Although both events are very different from each other, comparisons can be made between the attacks on the twin towers during September 11th and the Galveston hurricane. They are obviously very different because the attacks on September 11th were an act of terrorism, where the Galveston hurricane was a natural disaster. However, both events were extremely devastating on the United States, and both events caused some kind of technology to be needed to be improved. The September 11th attacks caused for an increase in airport security as well as security in general, to stop future attacks from occurring. The Galveston hurricane caused a need for better weather technology to prevent future natural disasters from killing as many people as the hurricane did.

D) I think it is clear that the story will begin to focus on Isaac Cline more than anything else, as the storm has already been happening, and the chance of him surviving appears to be very slim. It is very likely that he did survive though, as I don’t know how they would write a book about his story otherwise. Either way, I am sure that the town of Galveston is going to be completely destroyed once the hurricane ends, and thousands will be dead.

7. Dorian Campillo

Soon after Stick’s friend starts sleeping at the Childs’ household, Stick ends up joining the black civil rights group the Black Panthers. For a while, Sam and the rest of his family is unaware of the dangers Stick will end up facing by joining the Black Panthers. Sam ends up learning through his girlfriend that his brother had joined this activist group. So far, the most Stick is doing with the Black Panthers is serving breakfast for African American kids who are starving in the morning. Stick eventually gets a hold of a gun. HE left this gun home after he got into a fight with his parents. This left Sam filled with fury as he and his brother were very close. Sam ends up staying with his parents without Stick for a while until he is almost caught with the gun in his hands by his dad.
    This section focuses mostly on the many efforts made by African Americans to try and better the lives of other African Americans. This section also focuses on black groups who are fighting for equal rights during this time period. We also see a major focus on the Black Panthers. The Black Panthers were mostly a group who used violence to get equal rights, unlike the peaceful protests that Martin Luther King advocated for. During this time period, we see many fighting for these rights. For example, Rosa Parks went to jail for refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a bus. Also, shortly after the Civil RIghts Act of 1964 is passed, banning segregation based on race.
    This reading portion of this book can be very well related back to APUSH. One can relate back to what we have studied back in class as we have greatly studied the Civil Rights Movement. We also greatly focused on Reconstruction which was also a time where african americans fought for equal rights until it ended in 1877. However, as mentioned in class and in the book I am reading, the Civil Rights Movement was in full effect from the 1950s to the 1960s. We have also learned about people such as Martin Luther King or Malcom X and his Nation of Islam. All three of these are also mentioned in The Rock and The River. Essentially, much of what is mentioned in this book (apart from what happens with the Childs family, of course) we have focused on a great deal in APUSH.
    I believe this story will end up with one of the Childs kids dying. The Civil Rights was a dangerous thing to protest, and it seems Sam and Stick are getting more and more sucked into it. I also think something about Martin Luther King’s death will be mentioned, especially as the family that is talked about is close friends with him. I also think that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 will eventually be mentioned. Lastly, I believe that Stick will get into trouble with the police as he is now part of the Black Panthers and especially since he is getting more involved with protests. On top of that he is a African American teenager in the 60s… nothing could go well for him.

8. Ro Durand

The second part of The Riot Report by the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders, talks about the Causes of the Race riots, examining the communities and the ghettos that they live in, the 300 years of injustice, and issues that were current to the time. Starting way back, the section discusses how slaves were first brought to america and the hardships of slavery and how slaves were treated as property. Then moving into how Uncle Tom’s Cabin and abolitionists helped push the cause for the Civil war, which lead to the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments. Increased Lynchings occured and separate but equal were enforced. The chapter goes more in depth about the history of African Americans in America and why the frustration had grown to a boiling point. A New section focused on how the change that was wanted from the Civil Rights movement was never fully addressed and lead to anger among black communities, ignoring the peaceful protests tactics, moving to more violent approaches, like riots. Ghettos where blacks lived prevented them from getting the freedom they wanted. High crime rights and the cycle of poverty unfortunately placed every ghetto, leading to more frustration. This chapter has some bias, but since it’s mostly facts, it cannot be biased.

The burden of slavery is something that is mentioned frequently in the report and the cause and effects are clear and described. Wealthy whites would exploit slaves for work to make more money and to keep the power structure of whites about blacks. Although they did not see the slaves as humans, they were as human as any other person, and some were able to see the racism in the South. The effects of slavery have an everlasting scar on America, something that we can never forget and something that never heals. African Americans still face discrimination and are still fighting for full rights to this day, but major events caused by slavery were the Civil Rights movement and the Civil war, in which freedom was a want, and then lead to the race riots, where all the hard work never seemed to show success.

The Chapter briefly mentions the black panthers and black power around the time of the Civil rights movement. In Apush we learned about the black panthers and how they appealed to the youth to protest the unfair treatment of African Americans. The leaders and founders of the black panther party were Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale, who created it in Oakland California, 1966. They were created to enforce self protection and protest residents against police brutality. The Black Panthers would openly walk around with guns and patrol African American neighborhoods. The Black Panthers also aligned themselves with black power. he Black Power Movement of the 1960s and 1970s was a political and social movement whose advocates believed in racial pride, and equality for all, especially African Americans. By the mid 1960s, many of them no longer saw nonviolent protests as a viable means of combating racism.

The next section of the book discusses what America as a whole can do to solve the issue. I predict that the solution will be to recognize the problem and to start in a direction of more equality and laws promoting equal treatment. So far I give the book an A-, it’s mostly facts and recaling of facts which can get pretty boring after awhile but the topic is interesting enough to keep the reader engaged.

9. Isabelle

Isabelle Borr
    Mr. Wickersham
    AP US History
    31 May 2018
    In The Liberator by Alex Kershaw, the portion I am reading details the fight for Italy. There are German forces coming, but the troops are mainly stalled. During the harsh winter, the troops on either side are at a standstill. The US troops are ill-prepared for the winter months because many of the supplies did not arrive in time. Many soldiers are struggling because of the lack of supplies, they are cold and not ready for combat. During one fight, Felix Sparks, the protagonist in the story, is injured badly. His legs needs to repaired because he damaged it battly from fighting. They take him to Algiers where he is staying in a military hospital. After a few weeks of recovery, Felix is marked for non-combative duties. This kills him figuratively. He spent so much time training to only be hurt a month into active combat. With the threat of Court Marshall, Felix hops on a fighter jet and goes back to Italy. He continues to fight with his men and begins to take mountains and advance. In this portion, there is not that much bias seen, except for one example. There are mercenary fighters with the French army who rape women and are brutal to the Italian civilians. The way it is described in the book does not really show much pity towards raping women which could be a bias
    A historical thinking skill that could be used for this section of the book is contextualization. In the book, during 1944, it focuses on the fighting in Italy, but there is many other things happening all across Europe. During this time in 1944, the bombing of Germany increases and the red army is drawing closer. We still the stalemate in Italy, but at the end of the year it begins to break after another invasion. There are many things going on in each theater. In Japan, massacres are going on of suspected spies, while in Western Europe the US army is making gains.
    Even though we did not learn alot about the fighting in Italy, we can connect it to the parts that we have learned about or more of the contrast of it. We learn in class about the strong war effort from the home front providing everything they can and cranking out materials to help the soldiers, but we see a weak point in the book. The soldier’s winter kit was not delivered to them or they did not have enough. It was not clearly specified in the book, but the divisions were suffering. The winter halted battle because they could not fight. Their toes were black and they were miserable. This directly contrasts what we learn in APUSH Class. We are shown the war propaganda posters, but are there actually results? It does not seem as if the supplies are equally distributed.
    d. Make predictions as to where your story will go (in your last assignment, this needs to be an evaluation – Give the book a grade – A, B, C, D, F – and a recommendation to keep the book for next year or ditch it and why). This would also be where you can examine your connection (or lack thereof) to the characters or events.
    My prediction for the next part of the story is that more reinforcements come in and push further into Italy. At some point, Mussolini should probably surrender and Italy is taken out of the war. This will probably happen in the next few months because we are already a quarter into 1944. Felix Sparks could be taken out of battle and court-martialed because he disobeyed. There is a high risk of him getting badly hurt because he does have an existed injury he did not heal completely.

10. Jake Stollman

“Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945” by Evan Thomas

A) The second third of Sea of Thunder describes the leadup to the Battle of Leyte Gulf. It picks up after the Japanese navy’s getting pushed back from their island-hopping conquest. They had suffered massive defeats at Guadalcanal, the Philippine Sea and Midway, losing multiple aircraft carriers each. They had been pushed back from the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, the Marshall Islands, and Wake Island. As a country, they were exhausted. People had to wear mass-produced uniforms. Steel and iron were mustered from every nook and cranny they could find it, whether from safety railings on bridges to sacred gongs and bells in ancient temples. Their only major victory was in overtaking the Philippines themselves, pushing MacArthur’s forces out and prompting his famous, vengeful vow, “I shall return.” And return they did, or at least as we see in this chapter, they planned to. The Japanese wanted a “Decisive Battle,” a sprawling, colossal offensive to guarantee Japanese victory. A massive battle they would have. Victory, they would not. And then the American plan was set, and Japan was preparing for its final blow. MacArthur would take the island of Leyte in amphibious vehicles, in what would almost be the largest amphibious landing ever, second only, of course, to the invasion of Normandy that past summer. But one fatal error bespelled the Americans- their assault had noone as the anchor, that is to say, they had no commander of the whole operation. For example, each half of the fleet reported to a different commander. Kinkaid reported to MacArthur, and Halsey reported to Nimitz, and Nimitz and MacArthur had their fair share of disagreements. The Japanese, luckily, were decentralized as well, with three fleets instead of two. Commander Soema Toyoda of the Combined Fleet (the largest fleet of the three) crafted four “Victory Plans,” the Shō-Gō plans, each of which planning for defense from different attacks by the United States.
    B) The Japanese have always been a proud people. This is the most generally understood basic context for their attitude during WWII. The book itself references ancient customs and traditions throughout the story, such as Admiral Ugaki’s very traditional home. The Japanese, the book mentions, still retained its Bushido (warrior) code after thousands of years. Contemporarily, the book mentions the Meiji era (1868-1912), in which Japan first became an Empire. This is when Japan first expanded greatly and developed the world identity that evolved over the later Taishō and Shōwa periods. During the early Shōwa (1926-1930) Japan becomes fervently nationalist, observing a desire to return to old customs and traditions. This nationalism became one of the hallmarks of Japan. This nationalism led to a greater desire for more land to call Japanese. Thus the brunt of expansionism began. The United States saw this, and became worried, so they embargoed Japan. Japan became angry at one of their chief fuel and material suppliers’ severing ties, and decided to strike back against them on December 7, 1941, and the rest is history.
    C) I would compare this part of the war to the Union just before Gettysburg. General Robert E. Lee was in the process of making his push North. Both Lee and General Grant anticipated a battle that would halt Lee’s invasion North. This is similar to how the Japanese anticipated the War in the Pacific’s climactic “Decisive Battle.” For both, this battle came. For Lee and Grant, their battle was Gettysburg, the wall that the confederates crashed into in southern Pennsylvania. For Admiral Ugaki and the rest of the Japanese Navy, their Decisive Battle came as the massive blow from the Americans at Leyte Gulf. The main difference is the comparison of the loser’s advance. Lee was sprinting, Ugaki was slowly stepping backwards. Lee was leading a full on charge into the North, while Ugaki was slowly losing ground.
    D) This is fairly obvious; the book’s summary itself talks about how it culminates in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. But it’s not quite that simple. The book is goes as deep into the Admiral’s emotions themselves as much as it elaborates on the actual battles. I know and expect that we will see the Admirals pushed to their breaking points, though the Battle of Leyte Gulf was a large victory for the United States, it was hard fought and almost pyrrhic. I know from prior knowledge that Admiral Ugaki commits suicide after Japan surrenders, so I am certain that he will not take the loss lightly at all. Halsey, though, I am not sure of. Halsey was as proud and nationalistic as the average Japanese admiral, so I expect him to celebrate and cheer, or to militarily collapse from exhaustion after the battle. I am excited to read on and see what happens and how, exactly, the Battle of Leyte Gulf is carried out.

11. Nicholas Haddad

a. Throughout the second portion of Kiernan’s The Girls of Atomic City, the author informs the reader of the grueling work and secrecy that was shrouded within the Clinton Engineer Works. The author does this through the recurring cast of characters that she has used in the first part as well, among them Dot and Helen, who both operate calutron cubicles within the Y-12 plant. This part of the story talks about the layout of the Y-12 plant and the work that women do within them. Badges are checked at every entrance, and once inside, the women sit in front of large panels that hold numerous instruments. Their jobs: to monitor the needles on the gauges, eight hours at a time, and if anything goes haywire, they’re to inform a supervisor. The panels monitor both alpha and beta calutrons, which separates uranium-235 from compounds by heating it up and using electromagnets to send it in a semicircular path. The uranium-235 has a slightly smaller path than other “tubealloy” isotopes, which allows it to be collected in a distinct box, the “E-box”. By the end of this section, which covers 1944 and early 1945, the other two plants, S-50 and K-25, come to completion and the concentration of product leaving the CEW nears that which is needed by the scientists at Los Alamos. Propaganda posters are plastered throughout the town that pledge workers to maintain secrecy for Uncle Sam’s sake, and “creeps” are hired by the Project managers to act as plainclothes workers and keep tabs on any suspicious activity occurring throughout the plant. Even Celia, who works as a secretary for an important Project official, is called to New York City to be interrogated with a lie detector. African Americans continue to face the same struggles as in the earlier section. Kattie still lives in a hutment, and though she’s improvised on the cooking situation, her boyfriend, Willie, is still unable to visit her in her own “home”. Also, guards keep entering the women’s quarters without knocking, which results in very uncomfortable situations where often times the women aren’t fully dressed. Again, bias isn’t apparent throughout this part of the book, as the author is merely informing the reader about the nature of life back then, and describing not only historical events, but social situations as well.

b. A synthesis or comparison can be made between the women working at CEW and the women employed at the Lowell Mills during the 1820s-50s in Lowell, Massachusetts. In both situations, women are brought in from around the region in search of jobs. During the Lowell times, many of them were farmers’ daughters who were deemed non-essential on the farm. However, during WWII, the hirees were generally girls who had just graduated high school and were looking for a way to support the war and their families after the Great Depression. Looking at the social situations within each environment, both provided religious observation, housing, knitting and other social groups, as well as constant watch by observers and important men. While Lowell was open and seen as a revolutionary development, CEW was very secretive and seldom known throughout the country, but this was intentional. The Lowell Mills would have visitors from throughout the country and the world that interacted with administrators and workers alike. The General and several other important Project members would be the ones to visit CEW, and when they did so, they often spoke with people of importance and ignored the workers. Both Lowell and CEW marked important gains for women during times of increasingly male dominance in the economy.

c. The atmosphere within the Clinton Engineer Works is strikingly similar to the conformity of the 1950s and other cultural elements of that time period. Women and men, unless married, lived separately within Oak Ridge, and as a result, developed distinctive cultures within their areas: the women knitted, chatted over coffee, or danced, while the men would drink booze brought in from outside or get together to grab a bite to eat. Women also were expected to maintain modest and not do anything outside of their expected routine, as it could compromise the secrecy of the plant. In the 1950s, the “cult of domesticity” reigned supreme within households, domineering women to act submissive and idealizing the perfect wife as one who cooks, cleans, and cares for her children. Though their responsibilities may seem different, both time periods exhibit gender roles that are separate, though the WWII era saw a bit more blending than the 1950s, as women were accepted more often into the workforce due to the war.

d. The outcome of the book is known by all: the dropping of the atomic bombs on both Nagasaki and Hiroshima. However, I can predict a few things regarding the characters and the pace of production. Now that all three plants are completed, I’m fairly certain that the output of Tubealloy will only increase, and as a result, the Los Alamos experiment will become successful. Celia just got married, and now that she’s quit her job, I predict that she and Henry will become happier, yet she will grow disillusioned, as she isn’t working in the plant anymore. As for what will happen to the town after the war, I predict that it will disappear much like this story did. Though word may spread throughout the nation of this secret plant, the government has done so much to hide what they’re doing here that it wouldn’t make sense for them to release all of the information. It’s hard to connect with the characters, as they are older and working/living in a completely different environment than the one I am in.

12. Will D

Will Drake
    6/1/18
    Book Assignment #2
    I am still reading “The Korean War” by Bruce Cumings. Since my last book assignment, I have read quite a bit. To recap what I have read in the past week, it is more about the progression of the Korean War. The Americans have appealed to the UN and the forces of America, Britain, and South Korea are attempting to go on the offensive against North Korea. After landing in an area near Seoul, US marines have overtake Seoul from North Korean forces, and after many strategic retreats, the forces in the bottom of the peninsula are making progress pushing the North Koreans back towards the 38th parallel. The next part of the book shows the American led coalition reaching the 38th parallel and moving into North Korea. One thing that the US is very worried about are Chinese troops crossing into North Korea and US troops having to fight the Chinese too. Though intelligence sources don’t believe this is likely, it still has a chance of occurring, especially if US forces get too close to China.
    The cause and effect I am going to analyze is the US landing near the38th parallel. This allowed for another front to be opened against the North Koreans and to take some of the pressure and heat off of the retreating troops in the South. The North Koreans did not expect for the Americans to attack in the north of South Korea, but it easily changed the tide of the war. From then on, the Americans and friends were continuously on the attack, instead of being on the defense. After this, American forces were not pushed back any further than the 38th parallel (after the Chinese helped the North Koreans).
    My reading can simply be connected to our learnings about containing communism after World War Two. Though it may not be taught about enough, we did learn about the Korean War in the first trimester and how the US went about defending South Korea from North Korea. Another thing we can connect this to is the 2000s, where as a result of the US winning the Korean War, there are continued tensions in the Korean Peninsula. This containment of communism in this case can also be tied to why the US went into Vietnam, as a victory against communism had already been obtained.
    My predictions as to where the story will go is that the Chinese will help the North koreans with troops. The US will probably push too close to the Chinese border and the Chinese will retaliate by sending in troops. Although intelligence sources said that it would be unlikely for the Soviets or Chinese to attack Americans forces, I believe that it will still happen. Intelligence sources in the United States don’t think that the Soviets or Chinese will help the North Koreans with troops because they do not want to cause a large scale war against the US. If the Chinese do send troops in though, a stalemate with likely occur, with one side eventually suing for peace.

13. Nikki Barnas

A) In the novel “Manhunt”, James L. Swanson continues to illustrate the twelve day hunt for assassin John Wilkes Booth. Booth had narrowly penetrated through Washington D.C and voyaged into Maryland with his accomplice David Herold, as they headed towards a tavern owned by John Lloyd. As he picks up supplies, Booth boasts of his crimes to Lloyd. He leaves Surrattsville and gallops hastily to Dr. Samuel Mudd’s farm, an ardent Confederate sympathizer who was already acquainted with Booth through the former conspired kidnapping plan. Herold knocks on his door, claiming they are travelers pursuing a doctor to fix Booth’s throbbing left leg. The doctor ushers them in and offers his aid and home to the alleged strangers, although he quickly identifies the mustached man as John Booth. He lets them stay a full day, as he is oblivious to the crime Booth committed mere hours before arriving to his doorstep in the middle of the night. In town, he sees the thirteenth cavalry parading around and inquiring citizens about the man who killed the president, John Wilkes Booth. Mudd clings true to his southern morals and loyalty in the Confederacy and doesn’t expose the location of the assassin and his accomplice; but he acknowledges the severe danger of housing fugitives, and ushers them off his farm into the hands of another former Confederate, Captain James Cox. They transgress through the swamps of Maryland and reach the captain’s house, who immediately recognizes Booth. He submits himself to their needs and offers a hideout, concealed in blankets of forests and thickets. Booth and Herold trudge out into the woods, heeding Cox’s orders to not come out for any visitor who does not yield a melodic whistle signal. Cox then summons Thomas James, a former Confederate sailor, still grieving about his wife and money who were both lost in the perils of the Civil War. Cox knows that Herold and Booth’s main objective is to voyage over the Potomac and cruise safety into the welcoming hug of the Virginia shores. James possess the necessary boats and equipment to deliver the fugitives into Virginia, and would gush over the demeanor of the esteemed assassin. Thomas James accepts the offer to meet Booth and Herold, and find them deep in the woods coated in thickets after expelling the secretive whistle. Booth and Herold are initially apprehensive, but they’re liberated from tension when James tells them his plan to deliver them across the river to Virginia. Booth and Herold are both eager to flee Maryland that night, but Thomas illustrates the heightened risk through manhunters patrolling the area. Hesitantly, they submit to James logic and spend the night in the forest. The duo end up spending five days swallowed in the thickets as James concocts a flawless escape plan for the assassin and his partner. He orders his servant to fish on his boat where Booth and Herold will embark on their journey; he supplies them with food and news sources; he carefully plans their route to the river. Through granting Booth with newspapers, Booth grows disappointed with the absence of his self-incrmininalizing letter that he had pawned off to actor friend James Matthew, intentionally telling him to mail it to local news sources after the night of his assassination. However, Matthews burned the letter, fearful that anything linking him to Booth will chisel him a spot in the Capital prison. Multiple of Booth’s female lovers had the same mindset; they burned Booth’s love letters to incinerate any ties to the attractive, murderous actor. As Booth pursues refuge in Virginia, Powell remains in D.C, strolling aimlessly down the streets. He determines to go to Mary Surratt’s tavern, as she is the only ally Powell can summon in the city. Unfortunately for Powell, he enters the tavern when the police were in the middle of arresting Mary; thus literally walking headfirst into his arrest. Azterdot joins Powell in prison, as he is also found haphazardly lounging in his cousin’s bed. Back in Maryland, Herold and Booth finally are liberated from their temporary wooded home as James stealthy leads them to his boat on the river. The grateful assassin glorifies James for his service before sailing happily away in pursuit of freedom; but, the end of the section reveals that the assassin is steering the wrong direction.

B) There are multiple correlations between the funerals and legacies of Abraham Lincoln and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Both presidents commanded their countries through a domestically tumultuous time; Lincoln dealt with political disputes that resulted in the Civil War whereas Roosevelt balanced economic disaster through the Great Depression and eventually World War II. Both had sums of political enemies who despised their plans to cope with the current situation. However, they were immortalized after their deaths, as evident through the national funeral processions that plunged the country into a period of grief. Although Roosevelt died from the natural causes of a hemorrhage and was not slain by a hate-driven assassin, his death brutally tore a wound in the country. His casket was solemnly paraded around the country by railroad, and all postponed their busy lives to wait by the tracks and salute their President. This correlates with how Lincoln’s body was transported by railroad to Illinois, and his journeys produced the same response as FDR’ did. Both were buried at their birthplace, which ironically included Springfield for Lincoln and Springwood for FDR. Even if people opposed their political agendas, they discarded their grievances against the fallen presidents and respected their leadership. This is seen in the novel when the state of Virginia condemns Booth for uttering their state slogan on stage, “Sic Semper Tyrannis”. Lincoln and FDR are nationally glorified for their efforts today, as they are commonly noted as potentially the best US presidents.

C) As Edwin Stanton leads the investigation in pursuit of avenging the president and tracking down Booth, Confederate strongholds and former president of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis become popularized targets of potential arrests. The novel references how the Thirteenth Cavalry infiltrated multiple Copperhead communities to seek out Booth and his allies, specifically John Surratt. The term “Copperhead” is one that we acknowledged during our studies of the Reconstruction era. It refers to Northerners who sympathized with Southern objectives during the Civil War. Accompanying this term were noted Reconstruction vocabulary that included scalawags and carpetbaggers. Although the turmoils of the Civil War were still being flushed out through the assassination of Lincoln, by referencing the word “Copperhead” foreshadows the Reconstruction era that will initiated with president Andrew Johnson. Furthermore, through examining Booth’s letter to his mother, its evident how the election of Lincoln proved a major factor in the succession of South Carolina. In APUSH, we elaborated on the widespread hatred on Lincoln and how the Election of 1860 was the last element that piled onto the list of Southern grievances, causing them to topple over and resort to succession. In Booth’s letter, he indulges into his emotions towards Lincoln by describing him as “despicable” and the evil of the nation. He emphasizes how he loves the Union, but it cannot survive with Lincoln. Another element rooted in the compelling story of the manhunt for Booth that we also studied in APUSH includes the Pinkerton National Guard. We studied the organization through the perspective of the Homestead Strike of 1892, where the guards fired into the crowd of protesting workers, who were resisting their authority. In the novel, rooted about thirty years early in 1865, the Pinkerton Guards serve as detectives that pursue the fugitive assassins.

D) Due to the simplicity of the captures that included Lewis Powell and George Atzerodt, as they accidently meandered into the grasp of the federal government, I anticipate the eventual betrayal of both lackluster assassins to Booth’s conspiracy and leak information regarding the infamous night of April 14th and Booth’s current whereabouts. Edwin Stanton, Secretary of War, had been fused to Lincoln’s side throughout the Civil War and developed a bond with the President. Therefore, his sudden death struck a mournful chord in the Secretary, and the only way to cope with the monumental loss is avenged Lincoln and strike justice down upon the fugitive assassins of Booth and Herold. He will not lounged comfortably until the manhunt is over; which, judging by the foreshadowment of the book cover, will last twelve days. In terms of the fleeing murderers, I think Booth and Herold will end up in Virginia despite sailing the wrong way. As a result from the increasing sum of money offered to those who succeed in capturing Booth and Herold and the contemporary image of the martyred president Lincoln, former confederates will condemn Booth and Herold despite murdering the leader of the North, and withdraw aid and supplies from the refugees. Therefore, the duo will have to become dependant on their own wits and confide in each other to navigate to safety, as I assume more citizens will turn against them in pursuit of money. Furthermore, figures like Thomas James watch their stocks in the Confederate army dwindle to extinction at the surrender of Lee’s army in Richmond. The 100,000 dollar reward is an attractive amount that would liberate the burdening debts, attracting more manhunters through the magnitude of the cash. Although I still wouldn’t murder the president or relish in my crimes, I relate to the characteristics of David Herold. He is staunchly loyal to Booth, as the text repeatedly refers to Booth as Herold’s “master”. He finds reverence in John’s conspiracies, and therefore dedicates his aid to helping him escape while coping with a swollen left leg. I consider myself to be a loyal companion to my friends, as I would also accomodate for a friend’s broken leg; although, I’m not sure I’d help them escape authorities after murdering a president, it would depend on how much I like them.

14. Nia

Nia Kepes
    Astronaut wives
    a.
    At the beginning of this section of the book, the seven astronaut families are moving to Houston Texas. They were being thrown a huge party and a welcoming parade. Nasa was moving to Texas and the Texans couldn’t have been more excited. It goes on to explain that the wives were often invited to prestigious parties. They would have competitions among themselves to see who could get into the most exclusive party. All of the families were building new houses. This task was left to the women because the men wouldn’t be home enough to control the building of the house. This meant that the women had to deal with the construction workers to make sure her house was built correctly, and the furnishers to make sure her house was decorated exactly how she wanted. Then Wally Schirra is sent into space and when he lands he was flown to Hawaii and met by hula dancing girls. He wasn’t able to get home until one in the morning. A week after he went into space the Cuban missile crisis occurred scaring the families who thought they might have to deal with nuclear war. Next, the new nine astronauts, Neil Armstrong, Frank Borman, Charles Conrad, Jim Lovell, Jim McDivitt, Elliot See, Tom Stafford, Ed White, and John Young, arrived on the scene. The Mercury seven were a bit hostile because this meant that they had to split their deal with Life sixteen ways. It also took away their fame and felt like they were being replaced. This affected the wives too because they now had competition for fame but they also had pressure to help and look out for the incoming wives.
    b.
    One part of historical thinking that I can connect to this section is contextualization. The book mentions the Cuban missile crisis in one paragraph, but there was so much more to the Cuban missile crisis. On October 15, Kennedy learned that Russia was putting missiles on Cuba. This scared him and everyone else because this was one of the first times that missiles were so close to the U.S. Russia argued that the U.S. had missiles in Turkey, so they could have missiles in Cuba. This was frightening because the missiles in Cuba could easily reach the U.S. but they also didn’t want to give up their missiles in Turkey because they knew that it would take away pressure from Russia and make the U.S. feel less secure. After thirteen fearful days of negotiating back and forth, the U.S. agreed to take it’s missiles out of Turkey if the Russians took theirs out of Cuba, everyone was relieved for the moment, but this was just one scare of many to come during the cold war.

c.
    One thing we’ve studied in APUSH that has showed up directly in the book is the influence of the book, The Feminine Mystique by, Betty Friedan. In the book it says, “Across America, women were falling asleep with Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique on the bedside table, which detailed a world of suburban malaise and underlying causes of the dreaded ‘Housewives’ Headache’ that aspirin ads in Life offered remedy for. ‘The problem with no name’ seemed to require more than a pill to cure. The book offeredtantilizing ideas about what life beyond cooking, cleaning, and housekeeping could be” (Koppel 106). This connects directly with our studies of the 1960s in APUSH. We learned about the start of another woman’s suffrage movement where divorce rates were going up, and women were beginning to dabble in men’s sphere of domesticity, providing for either themselves or sometimes even their families.

d.
    I predict that in the next section of the book, men are going to land on the moon and Neil Armstrong is going to say his famous lines, “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”

15. Annie Chernow

1) I am ready the book Unbroken, and in the section I had just read, it is very small but it represents a period of about 46 days. It starts off right after the plane crash and the three survivors, Louis and his two other friends. They had two emergency rafts tied up together to create more room for the three of them, due to the fact they had no idea as to how long they would be stranded for. With the three men left on the raft, they had very minimal supplies and only had one bar of emergency chocolate, which was eaten very early in this situation by one of the Louis co-soliders. While in the raft, they also had the company of sharks swimming around the conjoined rafts. After a few days, another crew realized the men on the Green Hornet were missing and the made a search party to find them. To even be more unlucky, the three men on the rafts saw two planes, but the plane did not spot them. Day after day, the men were very burnt, had salt sores, and were in very bad shape. They hadn’t had any food until Louis killed a bird and used it as fish bait, thank god it worked. Eventually though, they went six days without water until it finally rained on the seventh day. On the twenty-seventh day of being stranded, they saw a plane but it ended up being Japanese bombers who completely destroyed the rafts when they started gunning them down. The men dove down in the water to be untouched by any bullet. While in this situation, Louis punched a shark to keep it from attacking the men, actually. Once the bomber left, one of the rafts was completely shredded so they used it as a canopy to shield them from the sun. Mac, one of the men on the raft, became seriously ill. He never recovered and soon after died; leaving only two men left on the raft, Louis and and Phil. On the forty-sixth day, the two men saw an island, but a boat comes hovering over the raft and brings them onboard. They were Japanese soldiers, the two American soldiers were tied up, blindfolded, and pistol-whipped. Louis and Phil were put in separate cells while heading on over to an execution island. Louis really thought this was it, this was the day he’d die.

2) To relate historical thinking to this book, I would like to discuss Japanese internment camps which were used in WWII. Usually we had camps that we put the Japanese in during war and kept them there until further notice, but in this case the Americans were the victims and put into the Japanese camps. Louis and Phil are dealing with axis powers which our are enemies in WWII, so they are facing the other side of the war, the more dangerous side and is very frightening.

3) Relating to something we learned in APUSH, i would like to compare the Japanese tactics during WWII with the Vietnamese tactics during the Vietnam war. In WWII the Japanese are very organized and have things thoroughly planned out for every situation. The Vietnamese were very decentralized and used Guerrilla warfare tactics with there army. Unlike the Japanese army, the Vietnamese army was not an honorable army like the Japanese were. The Japanese soldiers were very honorable and believed in the spirit of a warrior. The two armies were very different from each other and we learned that in APUSH.

4) I believe that Louis and Phil are going to be stuck in the camp and probably eventually separated from each other. I don’t believe that they will be killed tough, or at least not Louis. I believe that they are going to go through hell though with the soldiers and leaders that work in these camps and really be put to the test. Hopefully nothing too bad happens to the characters but if something does, they will probably recover due to them surviving 46 days living in a raft on the ocean with scare supplies. I would relate Louis to my grandpa. I say this because they’re both fighters. When Louis was on the raft, he never gave up and kept on fighting to survive. Like my grandpa, he has gone through many heart surgeries and procedures for his heart and he never stopped fighting until he passed away. My grandpa was a brave man who never gave up on anything. Just like Louis.

16. Neve Robinson

a. I am reading astronaut wives club. So the book is now done introducing the wives and setting the scene, now it’s more about the women supporting their husbands. So the chapter starts out with all the wives and astronauts basically walking on eggshells because NASA is about to decide which one of the seven astronauts will be the first man in outer space. Alan, a navy man and somewhat of a player ends up getting the mission. Louise, Alan’s wife is very excited but however nervous for him. The mission ends up being delayed, meanwhile the soviets launch the first man in outer space. Alan is annoyed due to the fact that he didn’t get to be the first man in space but continues with his mission and does a full orbit around the earth, eventually returning safely home. Because of Alans achievements the press takes a strong interest to Louise as she has a whole segment written about her in LIFE. Alan and Louise end up getting to meet President Kennedy and Jackie Kennedy, which was almost every housewives dream in the sixties as explained by the book. The missions continue with the other astronauts being sent up into space, Gus was next on the list. Gus makes it up into space perfectly fine but it was when he was pulmitting back to earth, the door to his spacecapsile blow open, which was not supposed to happen, he ended up landing somewhere in the atlantic and was quickly rescued. This gave Betty, his wife nearly a heart attack but Gus didn’t seem to be too fazed.

b. This story takes place at the height of the cold war as displayed in the book by the space race. But the book also talks about the Kennedy administration and how the space race was not the only one aspect of the cold war. At this time, the bay of pigs and Cuban missile crisis was taking place creating us hostility to communism which is displayed in the book as the astronauts strongly desire to beat the Soviets. The bay of pigs, an undercover CIA operation in hopes of taking over Fidel Castro’s communist Cuba. The plan was to take Cuban exiles living in the US and land them in Cuba with guns which they would hopefully cause a huge uprising against Castro. The plan backfires, causing the Cubans to have even more tension with the US, leading to the cuban missile crisis. Cuba is very wary at this point of the US, the Soviets decide to put nuclear missiles in Cuba to protect Cuba from another US invasion. Somehow the US government gets word of missiles and they find out the missiles are pointed towards America. President kennedy decides to block Cuba from any new nuclear shipments which was considered an “act of war” by the Soviets. Basically, it consisted of a couple of days of threats, luckily Robert Kennedy meet with a Russian ambassador and reached an agreement, taking missiles out of cuba. These events of the sixties coincided with the astronauts wives club because they both took place in the time period of hostilities between the US and the USSR.

c. I think the story best connects with how we learned about women’s gender roles in the sixties. All of the wives are having articles written about in LIFE. LIFE magazine wants to portray these women as the perfect mothers and wives however most of them aren’t perfect at all. Annie, John Glenn’s wife is probably the closest to being a perfect mother and wife of the sixties as she is beautiful and compliant domestic housewife. I think the story shows gender roles because all the women somewhat look up to Annie and her perfect housewife persona. Whereas the actual astronauts in the story, somewhat look up to Alan Shepard, unfaithful husband of Louise who always has a new women on his arm and the first astronaut out of the seven, in space. This, to me shows classic gender roles, where the woman is supposed to just stay in the kitchen waiting for her husband and the man is aloud to frolic around with different women.

d. I think so far the story hasn’t had any plot twists or any bumps, so I think something is going to go wrong with one of the astronauts missions and maybe someone might die. I think this will probably cause the wives to band together and become closer than ever. So far I give this book a B because I think the story has picked up a bit more and been more interesting but still nothing crazy has happened. I honestly think until the I finish this book I will not be able to tell you whether to ditch it or keep it.

17. David Mueller

I am reading Hellhounds on his Trail. We have watched Galt meander from place to place but now we see him moving towards his goal. He has moved into a hotel across from the Loraine, the hotel Dr. King is staying that. He has waited for an opportunity and has killed Dr. King. He has hastily disposed of his rifle and sped off in his Mustang. King did not immediately die when he was shot, and many staying with him tried to stop the bleeding. Police were immediately on the seen because of the spies planted in the fire station down the road to watch Dr. King. Dr. King was rushed to the hospital and everything was done to save him; however, he was brain dead early into the efforts and eventually his heart failed. Galt managed to miss the police by a matter of minutes as he exited the city and has left the state. The investigation has also been moved to the FBI.

There have been several assassinations in American history, they have evolved, but also stayed similar. John F. Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln are two perfect examples. Dr. King stands out among these two as he was not a president, so targets of political assassinations have expanded. However all three were killed because of their beliefs. Each was followed by a massive huntdown. In Lincoln’s case Union Soldiers went on the hunt for John Wilkes Booth. The soldiers eventually found him and killed him. In the case of Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested, and subsequently shot by Jack Ruby. Oswald’s case never ended up having a hearing. Both Oswald and Galt hastily and sloppily disposed of their weapons, both of which were high powered rifles. Both Booth and Galt used only one bullet. All three of the assassinated were pronounced dead at a later time. Political assassinations have become a more distant action, no longer do they involve the rushing of the victim. However people are still killed for their beliefs and their actions.

In the 1930’s President Franklin Delano Roosevelt began to roll out the New Deal. Roosevelt had the intention of creating a better economic opportunities for people and pulling the nation out of the Great Depression. Martin Luther King was working towards a similar goal in his Poor People’s Campaign. Dr. King wished to end poverty and do what was needed to make the government do their part. Roosevelt also had problems with the government getting in his way as some of his programs were repealed or understaffed or had other issues. In those ways King’s Campaign and the New Deal are connected.

The hunt is currently on with the FBI heading the search for the murderer of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I think that there will be issues with some FBI members and the hunt for Ray. I believe that specific members who greatly dislike King will cause conflict during the search. I believe Ray will maintain multiple aliases, and this will help him evade the FBI for a significant amount of time. I believe Ray will stay elusive, also because he never stays in one place. His constant movement and his lack of settling down will make the hunt for him difficult. l However his poor disposal of his rifle will eventually come back to haunt him.

18. Sathvik

A.) In this part of the book, Henry Ford has created the Ford Company and has earned wealth and fame by releasing the Model T. The Model T was a 20 horsepower tuning car that was at an affordable price of $850. Ford got 15,000 orders within a matter of days. After talks about the model T, the author goes on to talk about Fords 5 dollar a day for eight hours of work policy. Ford was paying his employees more than other companies which made people flock to Ford in search of employment. This increased Ford’s workforce and allowed him to get more things done. However, there was a rule the workers had to follow which was they had to be sober, saving, steady, and industrious. This section talks about the generosity of Henry Ford with him bettering the economy, but it also talks about bad things. People called Ford a liar when he promised to aide the US in war but ended up doing little. The public called Ford a liar and a draft dodger. To conclude, although Henry Ford did a lot of good things, he also did a lot of bad things like draft dodging and not carrying out his promise to the US.
    B.) This part of the book connects to cause and effect because it shows what Henry Ford did and how he changed the world. For example, the book talks about Henry Ford’s 5 dollars a day for eight hours of work policy and how that changed America. The book says it bettered the economy and increased Ford’s popularity. Another example is when the public shamed Ford for not keeping us his promise to help in the War. This made the public hate ford. Overall, the book shows the consequences/rewards that people get because of their actions.
    C.) This part of my reading connects to Americas 2nd industrial revolution after the civil war. This connects to the book because Henry Ford lived during the time of the 2nd industrial revolution and was apart of it. The 2nd industrial revolution shaped our world today. People like Henry Ford and Thomas Edison made huge technological breakthroughs when creating the lightbulb and the model T. We also see new productions in steel and petroleum production. The increase in these two industries changed the American economy forever, along with steam engine and other breakthroughs in travel. Overall, the book connects to the Second Industrial Revolution to give us a better understanding of the period in which Henry Ford lived and to show his impact on the world.
    D.) Something that I think will happen is that the book will start to focus more on the bad things Henry Ford did and how that has changed the way Americans view him today. I also think they will start to talk more about his personal life because they have only talked about his work so far. If my predictions are right, I think this would make the book a lot better by giving us more information about Henry Ford and showing us that he wasn’t perfect.

19. sofia di stefano

A-In this part of my book Fever by Mary Beth Keane we see the protagonist’s story continuing in the united states and her having to deal with her disease and trying to make her way up to reach her goal of being able to cook. When she first arrived in New York,1883. She was working as cook, and it’s this way that a man discovered her disease. She was soon identified as the first known asymptomatic, or healthy carrier of the disease. A woman of robust temper, she cursed her accusers, attacked them physically and fled them when she could; to no avail. While she was trying to achieve her goal, she was isolated on North Brother Island in the East River in 1907. She was separated because of her disease, she was away for 3 years and then finally sent back to the city. They gave her rules when she was allowed back in the city, she was not allowed to cook and had to continuously wash her hands. This made life very hard for her because , as an immigrant, the variety of jobs she could do or were offered was not very broad.
    B-This second section of my novel is very comparable to many stories that occured at this time to different immigrants.When boats came to the United States, diseases and ill people came with them. This led to many people catching diseases and even dying from them. Since the beginning of history, people were spreading diseases, for example around the 1520’s smallpox was attacking a big section of the community. This illness was probably bought by the Spaniards. Other than the disease the protagonist had to deal with she was also an immigrant which meant she did not have many jobs she could pick from. In the 1900’s immigrants usually worked with agriculture and some worked in factories. This disease left ‘Typhoid Mary’ with not many options left.
    C-Something I read in this section of my book that related to something we had studied was the work that Mary is offered. She worked as a Laundress for a short period of time because she then realized how much she hated the job and how it paid very low. This reminded me of the Triangle Fire, the situation is not similar at all but i do remember in the documentary we watched that the women working with the clothes were paid a very minimal amount. This shows something they have in common. Factories or any job that women and immigrants mainly did were always paid lower than ‘men jobs’.
    D-I think as the book goes on and the story proceeds I will see Mary experiencing different jobs before finally being able to work in a kitchen again. I think she will find this job soon enough and she will also be able to show the talent she bought from Europe. Other than finding her dream job, I think she will have to face some struggles since she is not legally allowed to work in a kitchen because of her disease. This might lead to her spending more time away from cooking and the city.I also hope to see her realizing how serious her disease is and how it could put others in danger.

20. Ugo Uchendu

The Dust Bowl, commonly referred to as the dirty thirties, was a period of many severe dust storms that took place during the Great Depression and damaged the soil and economy of America’s High Plains. This long lasting period of dust storms was caused by extreme drought and the failure to apply dryland farming methods that prevent wind erosion. Even though the drought that caused the dust storms came in three waves (1934, 1936, and 1939-1940), some parts of the high plains had been experiencing drought periods lasting longer than eight years. Lacking sufficient understanding, farmers used techniques that actually worsened the condition of their soil. Plowing of topsoil in the Great Plains during previous decades had displaced native grasses that would otherwise trap soil and moisture even in periods of drought and high wind. In the 1930s, the unanchored particles of soil could paint the sky pitch black when faced with heavily built winds. These winds were called “black blizzards” or “black rollers”, and could reduce visibility to less than three feet.
    Understanding that farming on the High Plains would be a challenge, the U.S government expanded the Homestead Act to offer 640 acres of land to homesteaders in western Nebraska and 320 acres to homesteaders anywhere else in the Great Plains. On April 14, 1935, 20 black blizzards took place that affected the entire Great Plains all the way from Canada to Texas. Chickens went to roost in the middle of the day because the dust storm made is so dark they thought it was nighttime. Winds were blowing so hard that vehicles were blown 30 – 40 feet with ease.The dust storms on this day were so bad that people would eventually refer to the day as “Black Sunday”. Even after the wind stopped, the air was filled with dust, and many people became sick with sore throats and colds. Soon after, a lot of families had to leave their farms and look in other places for work because there was no end in sight for the drought that had already lasted five long years. A lot of the people who tried to stay in the Plains, especially in Kansas and Oklahoma, became sick and died from diseases such as dust pneumonia or malnutrition. Terms like “Okies”, “Arkies”, or “Yorkies” were used to describe people who were going through the worst struggles during the Great Depression.Those who chose to leave the dust bowl greatly influenced musical culture in the places they moved to. Migrants from Oklahoma brought their traditional country music to California. Today, their musical style is called “Bakersfield Sound”.
    My book of choice The Worst Hard Time by New York Times journalist Timothy Egan covers all of this and more as Egan tells a story of endurance and bravery. Reaching out across generations, he follows half a dozen families and their communities through the highs and lows of the Great Plains region. This book directly connects to our study of the great depression in APUSH this trimester.

Sources:
    “Dust Bowl.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 29 May 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl.

21. Dylan Cohen

In this part, Easy Company returns from France to Aldbourne under the leadership of winters. After their first real combat experience, they are more cautious, after seeing countless allies and friends get wounded or die on the battlefield. After a couple of months, they are sent back out to Holland. In Holland they had to fight in trenches and could only move around under the cover of night. In this part, Ambrose explains in great detail the horrendous conditions of the trenches. At the end of this deployment, they hadn’t moved the front a single inch. After a brief rest in Mourmelon, an airfield in North East France, Easy company went to serve in the Ardennes where they defended Bastogne and were integral in the success of the Battle of The Bulge. Many men of Easy company died during this period due to combat and the harsh conditions of war. This section does seem sort of biased in the way that Ambrose describes the poor conditions of the battlefields and how ill prepared the men were. He seems to blame the American military leadership for this, much the same way that the men of Easy company resented Sobel. Most likely, the military was probably doing the best they could, as WWII was a huge and expensive war.

The events of this section are very similar to the conditions of other American wars we’ve studied. In this war and in most other American wars, American men are dropped into a foreign country where they don’t know the lay of the land, speak the language, and are ill prepared to fight. Like new recruits of other wars, Easy company also, despite receiving extensive combat training, was overwhelmed by real combat. Luckily for Easy Company, they performed well in their first combat experience. I think we see these similar attitudes and events between wars because soldiers are usually young, normal Americans, from the lower and middle class, who are eager to fight for their country and morally invested in the war (except during drafts of course). LIke the Fallout game series says, “War never changes”.

If I had to grade this book, i’d probably give it a B+ or an A-. The use of primary sources such as maps, pictures, and especially quotes from soldiers, give an accurate and brutal depiction of what war and brotherhood are really like. Where I think this book falls short is in it’s ability to connect to other events we’ve studied. War and American experience during war have played a significant role in the path of our country. But, we mostly study events during peacetime and the social implications that lead to war. If I were you, i’d drop this book for next year, It’s a really good book and I am enjoying reading it, but I don’t feel like it belongs with some of the other available books because it is so focused on one event and feels more like a story about a character and not an event. Despite not having any important connection to the military, this book seems to describe an accurate depiction of what i’d think war would be like. The use of quotes from the actual soldiers of Easy Company helps me develop a personal connection to the characters and invision what real conditions were like on the battlefield.

22. Luke L

In this part of the book “Manhunt” it focuses on not just the hunt for bin Laden but also the hunt and tracking down of Abu Ahmed Al-Kuwaiti. The Kuwaiti was one of Osama’s couriers, and through a system of tracking down other terrorists the CIA were able to find his whereabouts and location. The Kuwaiti was very influential in Al-Qaeda so finding him would be a huge benefit to both killing bin Laden and ending the terror of Al-Qaeda. However, due to many misinformation and a lack of solid proof the CIA was never able to fully capture him and thus left a cold trail in his path. Even when the CIA tortured and killed multiple people to find the Kuwaiti they failed, showing how desperate the CIA became in trying not even to find the direct source but someone who was close to it, that is the Kuwaiti. After that the book then focuses on Obama’s presidency and how he dealt with the whole situation in the middle east. During the election Obama won because he was the antiwar candidate yet when he took office he initiated many more drone strikes on Pakistan and Afghanistan along with claiming to be in a war against not Iraq but Al-Qaeda. In doing so Obama was much more aggressive than Bush was when dealing with Al-Qaeda. In the next chapter the author goes into detail as to how the CIA managed to find the Abbottabad compound and the struggle they had in deciding whether or not it was where Osama was. By tracking down the Kuwaiti the CIA found that he was living on a small compound in Abbottabad which led to some CIA members believing that this was where Osama was hiding. However, there was a very clear divide in among members because of the amount of times possible leads or trails have let them down. While the new members who were much more gullible believed Osama was hiding in the compound more experienced members who were more weary and hardened from tracking Osama were more skeptical. After much consideration, however, the government approved of further investigation. Finally, the book describes how Osama attempted to run Al-Qaeda after 9-11 and the struggle in keeping everything in place. The book then comes back to the US to show the JSOC(Joint Special Operations Command) and the fierce training they went through to face Al-Qaeda.

As the search for Osama continues in the book you see how CIA members begin to become more and more skeptical towards leads as they are constantly let down. This shows change and continuity over time as with Obama being elected and the new Abbottabad leads it displays the changes made over the course of the hunt for Osama Bin-Laden. In the case of change with Obama, he made it so that the CIA had a much more bigger and time-consuming role giving them both the budget and attention Bush didn’t before. Obama held weekly check-ins with members of the CIA and often gave suggestions and asked questions. In the case of Abbottabad, it showed how the change of eagerness in chasing leads was affected through many false ones. This led to CIA members losing hope in a lot of the leads they were given and showed both how desperate and how weary these people were in chasing one man.

Obama’s campaign reminded me a lot about Nixon’s campaign and how similar the two were. Much like how Obama was elected, many people chose Nixon for his anti war morals and policies that he wanted to bring into the Vietnam War. For this reason many voted for Nixon and in the end he won the election. Similarly, although Obama wasn’t totally anti war, many people voted for Obama because they believed him to be anti war. However, Obama differs from Nixon in the fact that during his presidency he put a more aggressive action in handling the middle east putting American soldiers in whilst Nixon took American soldiers out of the Vietnam War. So far I have to give this book an A still because of the interesting conflicts and developments that happen throughout. There is this constant struggle between different sides in terms of who is right in their leads and who isn’t it’s interesting to see how it all comes together in the end. I also like how the author once again went into Osama’s life in the Abbottabad compound and how he led Al-Qaeda through the confines of his home, directing leaders in different countries and providing guidance.

23. Maddy Penoza

Fever 1793

a) After being refused passage into the city, Mattie and her Grandfather are stranded on the side of the road. The farmers took off with all of Mattie’s clothing, and food, and her Grandfather is getting worse. Mattie sets up shop under a chestnut tree, and goes off to find some water. She comes back with water from a stream, and some berries, and tries to help her grandfather. He complains of being cold, so she offers to make a fire, but soon realizes she has no idea how to do that, and that it’s way too hot out for that. Instead, she goes to look around for a farm nearby that will take her and her grandfather in, but she gets shut out. On her way back to the tree, she feels faint, and passes out. When Mattie wakes us, she notices that she is in a bed in a room that smells of disease and sickness. She sees that her sheets are covered in throw up and it is clear she has yellow fever. She is in a room full of fever victims. There is a dead body next to her, and soon enough it’s Soon after she wakes up, a nurse comes in to take care of her. The nurse, Miss Flagg, gives her some broth, and tells Mattie that if she can keep that down, she can eat a real supper that night. As Mattie begins to feel better, they move her to the barn with the recovering patients. As it becomes clear that Mattie will recover, she begins to ask questions at a million miles an hour, but they are not always answered. Eventually, she and her Grandfather are ready to go home. They arrive at the coffee shop, tired and hungry, only to realize that it has been broken into, and nearly everything has been stolen. As her Grandfather goes upstairs to take a nap, Mattie tries to salvage what she can from the garden. She gets a handful of vegetables, and decides to take a bath, which would be insignificant, but she mentions that normally, she bathes once a month, and that put 1793 in perspective. At the end of this section, a couple of robbers break into the coffeehouse, and are going to steal a bunch of stuff, when Grandfather comes down, tries to shoot one of them, and gets killed in the process, leaving Mattie completely alone.

b) At this time, there was hardly any reliable communication, in comparison to today. I have countless ways to contact people anywhere in the world, but in 1793, there was the mail. This is extremely evident in the novel, as Mattie has no idea what happened to her mother, and her the family living on the farm, seemingly had no idea that Mattie was coming, or they didn’t want her, as they didn’t reply to any of her mother’s letters. Additionally, with so much death, families often didn’t know when a family member was dead due to the fever, since even the mail quickly became unreliable.

c) The Yellow Fever was brought to Philadelphia from overseas in a similar way to the diseases brought to the Americas during the columbian exchange. The people living in Philadelphia did not have the same immunity to the disease that the people entering the city did, and therefore, it became an epidemic, leading to widespread panic and terror. The people of Philadelphia had known their fare share of disease, but this was by far the worst.

d) I’m guessing that Mattie will soon learn that her mother has died of the fever, based on how sick the woman was when we last saw her, and the fact that she didn’t leave a note or anything. Additionally, I don’t think Mattie is done with robbers, as they are becoming very common in these days. Finally, I think we will see the return of a young man from early in the novel, Nathaniel, because his name comes up a lot. So far, he hasn’t brought around any plot, and his presence does not have much of a purpose, so Anderson must be setting something up.

~Maddy Penoza

24. Ethan Biederman

This next section of the book, The Plots Against the President by Sally Denton, focuses on Roosevelt’s inauguration and first one hundred days in office. In his first inaugural address, Roosevelt spoke what would become one of his most famous quotes: “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” After taking office, he convened a special session of the new Congress and passed more legislation in those one hundred days than any other president. All of the legislation passed was directed at economic relief for the country. The Congress passed legislation that created the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, and the Tennessee Valley Authority. The National Industry Recovery Act was also passed, creating the Public Works Administration and the National Recovery Administration. Finally, the banking industry became more regulated with the passage of the Glass-Steagall Act. The section also touches on how after these parts of the New Deal were implemented, FDR was considered to be a traitor to his class. The elite Americans no longer supported him, while poor Americans did. FDR’s programs demanded that the elite respect the common worker, which was something that upper class Americans were not accustomed to. This caused them to believe that FDR, who had been one of the elite, had betrayed their class. He began to lose their support, as well as the support of far left and far right Americans; however, the center of the political spectrum remained in strong support of FDR and his policies. The elite started calling FDR a dictator, no different from Hitler or Mussolini. While this may seem absolutely ridiculous, it is true that FDR asked for wartime powers to deal with the economic crisis.
    Now that I am farther along in the book, I would say there is a slight bias in favor of the New Deal; however, I believe that the author still effectively shows both points of view to allow the reader to decide.
    The effects of the New Deal on America are tremendous. The New Deal was instrumental in helping to bring about the end of the Great Depression, and implemented many policies that we still benefit from today, such as Social Security. The New Deal also caused the majority of the country to be hopeful again and stand in support of their leader, which would be very important when the time came for war.
    This section cannot be compared to anything we have learned in APUSH except for the New Deal itself. The New Deal was such an unprecedented group of legislation: it never existed before, and it hasn’t been replicated since. In the first paragraph of this response, I referenced many New Deal programs that we studied in class.
    I have not yet come across another plot against FDR, but I suspect there is another one soon to come. I expect the book to continue to explain the policies of the New Deal. I would give the book a B at this point still. It can be quite boring at times, but it overall does a good job of explaining FDR’s policies. I would still keep this book for next year.

25. Jocelyn Warnica

As it turns out, Mattie’s mother is not dead, but she still has Yellow Fever. Mattie is taking care of her when she starts to vomit black. Her mother sends her away because she doesn’t want to get her sick. Grandfather and Mattie then leave for the countryside. On the way, her grandfather has problems dealing with the heat. He had, what they called, summer gripe. An inspector on the outskirts of a village stop the wagon they’re on to make sure that no one passing through is sick. They kick Grandfather and Mattie off the wagon. While Grandfather rests, Mattie decides to find food and water. She uses the old soldiers tricks that her Grandfather has taught her to find these things. The next morning, she goes out to find food and water. She can only find water, so she goes back to where her grandfather is, and he sends her back out to find food and a blanket. On her way back from gathering food, Mattie passes out. The sounds of voices wakes her up, but she soon drifts back into unconsciousness. She wakes up, realizes that she has Yellow Fever, and that she is in a bed, surrounded by other people who are also sick next to her. She then goes back to sleep. Mattie wakes up the next day, for good, and sees Mrs. Flagg. Her and a recovered Grandfather fill her in. That they’ve been gone for five days, and that her mother is possibly in the countryside. When Mattie was almost ready to be released, she was moved to the barn. When she had completely recovered, she is informed that she will have to live in the orphan house, but Grandfather doesn’t allow it. They leave for the city the next day. When they get to the coffee house, they see that it has been ransacked. Mattie searches for food. A robber breaks into the coffee house, and cuts Grandfather’s shoulder, which would kill him. In which it does.
    The year 1793 began the Antebellum era, or the period leading up to the Civil War, which began in 1861. The main events of this time period include the 2nd Great Awakening, and the economic growth of the south. This is when most of the causes of the Civil War took place. Such events include the Missouri Compromise, growth of the abolitionist movement, Bleeding Kansas, and the election of Lincoln in the 1860 presidential election.
    The outbreak of AIDS in the 1970s can be compared to the outbreak of Yellow Fever in 1793. One of the main differences of these two outbreaks is the people’s familiarity of the disease. The people of Philadelphia were very familiar with Yellow Fever, as they saw a few cases every summer. The people who lived during the 1970s were not educated, or heard of AIDS. Differences aside, they both scared the public a lot. AIDS was known as the “gay disease” and Grid, which stood for Gay- Related Immune Disease. People were scared of this because it “meant they were gay”, even though it just turned out to be an immunodeficiency.
    Since Mattie’s Grandfather has died, I believe that she will go to the orphan house and work for them. She will either do this or attempt to restore the coffee house and run it. She could also go to the countryside to look for her mother. Since the last part, I can relate more to her situation. This is because she lost her grandfather. I lost my grandpa in February 2017. This is something that will most likely affect her for the rest of the novel. I know it still affects me, even a year after it happened.

26. Kevin Gruich

A: 1776 by David McCullough has gotten much more interesting. The weather has gone cold and is starting to freeze soldiers on both sides. The British are especially having trouble being unaccustomed to the American winters. The British have taken Bunker Hill in a costly invasion. They don’t attempt to seize Dorchester Heights, the most important point from which to defend Boston. Once General William Howe gets the orders from England to leave Boston, it is too cold to leave so they have to stay. Food is scarce for the British and many of the cannon fodder freezes to death. This happens while Howe and other high ranking officers enjoy plays mocking the rebels. Howe is descended from a rich family and though he has been a general for years, he is shaken by the carnage of Bunker Hill. He is rumored to be too soft for war and appears to only be in the position because of the aristocracy. This contrasts with the meritocracy of the Continental Army that has promoted everymen like Nathaniel Greene. The British don’t know that the Americans are low on supplies and low on moral with deserters. Washington sends Charles Lee to New York to protect them from a possible invasion. Washington also finds out that his expedition to Quebec was a total failure with many deaths. General Knox comes back with spare cannons and munitions from Fort Ticonderoga. This gives the Americans some temporary hope in winning the stalemate. Washington plans to lure out the British to Dorchester and attacking Boston while they are distracted. He occupies Dorchester late at night and uses the cannons and build fortifications for two nights. Howe abandons Boston and leaves on ships, offering loyalists a chance to escape. Only 1,000 take the offer. The British plunder the town for resources and wealth before they leave. The Americans reclaim Boston and take note of the damages. Washington puts Greene in charge of Boston while they plan. The campaign against Howe was a major success and was done all the while Washington negotiated with the Continental Congress for money. Many tinkers in America start to begin lobbying for independence, including Thomas Paine’s Common Sense. Now Washington begins the march to New York in anticipation of a new invasion. New York is not advantageous as it has strong loyalist sentiments and is vulnerable to naval attack on multiple fronts. The British initially land near New York in early summer and seem to prepare for an invasion. In late summer the British land on Long Island and advance towards NYC. Washington thinks it is only a few thousand soldiers and only sends half his forces to defend Brooklyn. The Americans suffer a major blow in Brooklyn Heights. They are pushed to the edges of the borough. Washington engineers an amazing escape in only one night. He leads his men to sneak out through boat along the shores of Brooklyn. They flee into upstate New York before the British realize they have retreated. Here the British squander the chance to win and do not push the Americans further after their win. The Congress is devastated and Washington starts to mobilize once again. Still no bias with only dry facts and simple logic.
    B: I think the revolutionary war of 1776 is a major change in comparison with the continuity of our other wars. If you look at all other traditional wars that America has fought, we have had the upper hand and usually lost less than 2 battles. This is seen in the Mexican-American War, Spanish-American War, World War 1, and World War 2. The more guerilla wars like Vietnam and Afghanistan are a different beast entirely, with no clear objectives to fight for. The revolutionary war was the only time we were at the cutting edge with another nation, on the lower ground. We could have easily lost at many points, yet we didn’t, we were the ones outnumbered and disciplined this time.
    C: We learned the core reasons behind and results of Shay’s rebellion in APUSH. I am reminded of this because the British use certificates to buy goods from Boston before they jump ship, these certificates ultimately were useless. The book mentions that we did a similar action in New York. This made me realize how the Continental Congress must be running. They are running are borrowed money, money that doesn’t exist that is being paid to soldiers and to manufacturers to get munitions. I can easily see how the issue of these soldiers not getting their pay happened with the dire straits that we were in. I am surprised that we could convince these soldiers originally that this rebellious government would pay them back. The struggle for funding is constant for the Congress and the Army during the war.
    D: Currently I am expecting the book to shift either over to the Continental Congress or to continue following Washington and Howe’s pursuit of him. The pursuit is more likely as Washington is currently vulnerable and needs to come with new plans ASAP. Especially after the disaster in Brooklyn, we need to see the follow up. I am expecting Washington to be desperate again and expecting all hope to be gone as he did during the siege of Boston. Either way the story goes it will still be interesting to know the backstory behind these events.

27. Hanna Lupovitch

Hanna Lupovitch
    a. This section of the book is where Niamh’s orphan adventure truly begins. In 1929 America, all of the orphans prepare for the opportunity to be adopted. Before they get off the train, Niamh and Dutchy make a pact that in the future, they will find each other. At the first stop, all the children line up according to height. When a woman insults Niamh (accidentally loud enough for her to hear) Dutchy mouths off to her, and the husband was angered. A young couple then walks over to Niamh, and starts playing with Carmine. When Niamh says that she can mend clothes and cook, the couple says they can only afford and only want a baby. The young couple signs the papers and take Carmine. Later, a large couple examined Dutchy. They decided he would be a good field worker (just as Dutchy he predicted he would be). Dutchy’s adoption papers are signed as well. Niamh is not adopted in this town. In the next town, Niamh is “adopted” by a couple. This couple does not really want a child, but a worker. Niamh’s papers are signed, and she is taken to their house in which she is put right to work in a sewing and mending room. She has a dispute with another worker, but her overseer covers for her with the mean woman. She has to sleep in the hall and use an outdoor lavatory that is in the dark. She is also renamed “Dorothy.”
    b. There is cause and effect evidenced in this section. Since this part of the setting of this book takes place near the Great Depression, company owners will need more workers to help their economic situations. This could be a reason causing the Bryers to recruit Niamh to work for them at their house.
    c. There are two major connections between this section of Orphan Train and what we have studied in APUSH. The first connection has to do with immigration. In APUSH we learned that immigrants, especially from Ireland, were not accepted and viewed as drunk animals (gorillas, as we have seen in political cartoons). In this section, during the adoption, a lady whispered that Niamh did not look right. This demonstrates an example of how Irish immigrants were not accepted during this time. Another connection between this section and APUSH correlates to triangle shirtwaist factory fire. The room Niamh is now working in has basically the same activity going on as the fire did. I am hopeful that there are enough safety precautions that a similar instance does not occur.
    d. A prediction I have at this point in the story is still that the old lady whose attic Molly is cleaning will still be Niamh. Though Niamh’s name was changed to Dorothy, she is still having trouble adjusting and cooperating in this home. Therefore, I think that she will be given back to the orphanage and adopted again, where she will eventually be named Vivian. I honestly do not feel a connection to Niamh because I am lucky enough to not be in sad situations as she has lost her family.

28. Gabriel G

As I continue reading into Lafayette in the somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell, I come to gain information about the overall effects and events of Lafayette’s life, all the way from the beginning. Lafayette was born in 1757 in France on an upscale, elite farm owned by his parents. He was born with a long and peculiar name: Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette. The region in which he was mostly raised was rural, despite his blood heritage connecting him to King Louis XIV. Both of his parents had died by the time he was twelve, making him an orphan, and he eventually lived as a student in Versailles for many of his days, even living amongst the sight and ranks of Marie Antoinette herself.

Sarah makes sure to make this information, and other information like it, more interesting and comedic, in order to grab the audience’s attention. A good example is when referring to Lafayettes bid for entering the ranks of the revolutionaries in America, instead of simply writing that he used his experience with the France royal elite to make himself to the alignment between America and France, she writes it this way: “If his swanky backstory wasn’t enough for the delegates to reverse their initial knee jerk reaction…”(84-85 Vowell) The use of terms like swanky and knee jerk when referring to historical figures not only makes the book feel more lighthearted, but it makes the narrative of Lafayette seem more relatable to how many view the things they see in their day to day lives.

Even though comedy is used, there does not seem to be any presence of Bias in the actual book itself, or in the descriptions of characters and events given by the author. Sarah opts for merely highlighting whatever objectively happens in a historical setting with comedic tinge, but doesn’t stray from the truth in order to do it. Such as when she uses comedic timing to tinge the event of Lafayette’s being shot in battle during the war, but does not leave out any important details of the occurrence.

A historical parallel in the book that can be observed in APUSH is the apparent insignificance of Children’s safety and opinion in earlier times as opposed to now. Recently in Apush we have went over the event of Child labor being abolished in the turn of the century, and how children were used in factories for almost free labor frequently and were being mistreated as such, but at the same time kids were seen as incompetent and ignorant, making their service obliged but not valued. Well, there was a similar attitude and life situation for many kids in the revolutionary era, including Lafayettes, that put them in a similar position. Lafayette had to look out for himself after his parents died, and did not get to have a serious relocation program like many orphaned kids get today. He worked hard at to maintain his fortune, though he was only a child, and eventually built enough renown to attempt to serve in the revolutionary war. However, his accolades were not recognized greatly by the council above him. His adolescence was seen as a negative by many when he presented his case to them, and ven George Washington doubted him at first, simply because of his age, despite his own experience in adult situations at a young age.

Right now, it’d be a A-, because the depth and writing has improved over the course of the book, but the narrative seems scattered.

29. AJ Zako

A. In the days following Pearl Harbor, the atmosphere in America is charged and paranoid: rumors fly that California will be bombed and public spaces are put under guard. The Japanese continue their invasions. The only place that takes them longer to capture is the island of Wake. The Americans who surrender there are some of the first Japanese POWs.Louie’s training at Midland Army Flying School goes well, and he earns great test scores. He is trained in using two different bombsights, or a device used in an aircraft for aiming bombs. The more complex of the two is known as the Norden bombsight, which is expensive and high-tech. After Louie inputs various pieces of information, the sight takes over flying the plane and drops the bomb with great precision. The technology is top-secret, and Louie is taught to prioritize the bombsight’s safety above his own.In August of 1942, Louie graduates from Midland and goes home to California to say goodbye to his family before heading off to his final round of training. Pete is a Navy officer and comes home to see Louie. The goodbyes are tearful.Louie’s final training takes place in Ephrata, Washington at an airbase in the middle of a dry and extremely dusty lakebed. There, he meets his pilot named Russell Allen Phillips, a quiet, brave, and amiable man from Indiana. He goes by “Phillips” and is in love with a girl named Cecy from back home. Louie will nickname him Phil, and Phillips will call Louie “Zamp.” Louie meets the rest of his crew, namely Pillsbury, Mitchell, Glassman, Lambert, Brooks, Moznette, and Douglas. They are assigned to dreaded B-24 bomber planes, known to be incredibly fragile and difficult to navigate. Though hundreds of men die while just training with the planes, earning them the nickname “Flying Coffins,” Louie’s crew comes to love the plane.In mid-October of 1942, the crew is told their training will be cut short and they are to be deployed. Before leaving, they name their plane Super Man and get it painted. Louie calls his family. That day, his mother Louise starts a war diary. Louie’s crew heads off to Oahu’s Hickam Field in Hawaii.
    B. The beginning part of this book takes place during the time period a little bit after the First World War. Hitler was coming into power and secretely creating armies to start another war. Germany was one third of the Axis powers. The other two thirds were made up by Japan and Italy. The real start of the Second World War came with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service against the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory, on the morning of December 7, 1941. This was eventually evolved into the Cold War which lasted many years. All this fighting and death came because of the Treaty of Versailles. This was signed after the First World War that blames the whole war on Germany. This led to nationwide poverty in the country of Germany.
    C. This reading relates to the way in which we studied world war 2. A big thing we studied in this section was the new technologies that were made for warfare. Many new planes, explosives, and guns were invented to help give countries the upper hand in the war. The first thing we did with the section was Mr. Wickersham asked us to write a bunch of stuff we learned about on the board. I wrote down a bunch of weapons because while I didn’t initially know much about the war, I knew that new weaponry was very prominent.
    D. This book eventually leads from Louie’s Olympic glory days and his war training to his plane crash and suffering in a Japanese internment camp. I would so far give this book a definite A not just because of its popularity, but because of the way we really dig into Louis Zamperini’s life. I can honestly say that I am not the biggest reader and never really have been, but I have never found a book more interesting than Unbroken. This book seems to be a popular one because of how Mr. Wickersham will now only let one person total do it so he has clearly heard way to much about this book. I feel as though I really connect with the character of Louis Zamperini as we both were troublemakers in our youth but eventually found a sport that we really loved and were dedicated to.

30. Nicole Bastian

A. The novel, The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd has been a very interesting and informal novel so far. By reading this novel, I have gotten an inside view on slavery from both a slave and a slave owner, with the story being told from both points of view (switching off chapter by chapter). Since the last blog post, many events have taken place in the novel. In the first section of reading I learned about the background information that set up the novel, the views of different characters, and I saw some of the cruelties of slavery. In the second section of reading, I learned more about certain characters, saw characters express their strong views and develop, and read about more of the cruelties of slavery. The first section of reading ending with Sarah bringing Handful and Charlotte a basket of goodies because she felt bad that Charlotte had received the one-legged punishment. Since then, Charlotte has developed a lot as a character. She is eager to work for a pay and therefore forges a badge so that she can go into town and work. While in town, Charlotte found a job working for Denmark Vesey. Her goal was to save enough money to buy her and Handful’s freedom, which Handful discovered would cost about $1,000. In addition, throughout this section Charlotte had been working on a memory quilt, filled with intricate squares of her fondest memories. She would lock this quilt in a trunk each day because she did not want Handful to see it until it was done. Not long after, Charlotte disappeared and it got to the point where it had been 6 years and nobody knew where she was. Moving on to Sarah; she announced to her family that she wanted to be a lawyer. Her family did not approve/support, causing her to drop her dream. Later on, Sarah found a man by the name of Burke. They quickly fell in love and Burke proposed, allowing them to do more than before because when a couple are engaged, they are legally allowed to do more. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before Sarah’s family shared some devastating news with her; Burke was engaged with multiple girls. He only got engaged for the sexual advantages of the engagement. Like I said after the first section of reading, I don’t think that this novel has a bias due to the fact that it has both the point of view of Sarah (the slave owner) and Handful (the slave). Unless you want to go to the extent to say that it is biased because Sarah is against slavery, this novel is not biased.

B. This novel could be strongly connected to the abolitionist movement as a whole. From a cause and effect aspect, you could think about the fact that the abolitionists (as well as other factors) caused the abolitionist movement as well as the emancipation proclamation (and things of the sorts). Plus, the abolitionist movement as a whole was one of the causes of the civil war. Abolitionists, such as Sarah Grimke herself, played a large role in this movement, causing changes we still see today. These people fought for what the believed in, having an effect on slaves, in the sense that it helped them reach a better point. I feel that this novel is interesting because it shows us the childhood of a popular abolitionist, Sarah Grimke, which gives us as readers an idea as to where her ideas come from.

C. If I were to connect my novel to something we’ve learned in APUSH I would connect it to slavery as a whole. This novel touches on many aspects of slavery, giving the readers an inside point of view, providing better understanding. This novel shows the work the slaves have to do, the thought process of the slaves, the desires of the slaves, the cruel punishments, and the usually opposing view of whites (some abolitionist and some not). In APUSH, we learned about all of these things; the conditions of slavery, the punishments, and the different views of whites. Plus, we learned about the abolitionist movement, and this novel is leading into that. Much of what we learned can be applies to this novel.

D. I predict that this novel will go on to elaborate on the lives of slaves, as well as show what Sarah does with her strong views. I think the end of the novel will show some character change (including changes with Handful). I think that something dramatic is going to happen between blacks and whites before the novel is over, because as we know, many dramatic events occurred between the races. As of now, I would give this book an A because I find it to be very interesting and informational. I would recommend this book for next year. This novel is an easy read and much of it can be applied to what we learned throughout the year.

31. Carolina Ishikura

a. In The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe the Merry Pranksters continue to try new LSD experiments. However, this section of the book was far more interesting because they spoke about popular musicians and the Civil Rights Movement. Wolfe briefly mentioned the Civil Rights Movement to address how the unitarians have been paying more attention to the movement rather than arresting the Pranksters that possessed LSD. This section ended with the Merry Pranksters moving their acid tests to Los Angeles and feeling unsatisfied with their new leader: Babbs. The Pranksters think that Babbs is too strict for the group due to him kicking out a member off the bus. The only reason why Babbs is in charge is because Kesey left to go to Mexico. Like before, there is bias against the “American dream” and middle class ideals. We go further into the topic in this section because we learn the backstory of a new member called “Mountain Girl”. Mountain Girl came from the middle class lifestyle in New York but she pursued the hippie lifestyle by joining the Pranksters.

b. There finally has been a connection to Civil Rights and the Vietnam War in the second third of the book. I’m certain we’re approaching the late 60s due to the growing popularity of rock music and the mentioning of the Vietnam Day Committee. The Vietnam Day Committee is what essentially started the protesting against the Vietnam War that continued into the 1970s. The Vietnam Day Committee can be related to any left-wing political groups. I also know that we’re in the mid 60s because the Civil Rights movement began to pick up at that time.

c. This section of the book relates to the article we read about The Beatles when we covered the 60s. Most of this part of the book went in depth with the pop culture of the 1960s mentioning Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Joan Baez, Roland Kirk, and Mississippi John Hurt. There’s an entire chapter dedicated to The Beatles because the Merry Pranksters wanted them to join their movie. The Pranksters thought that since they have amends with Hell’s Angels they could contact The Beatles as well. In addition, this section of the book mentioned the Civil Rights Movement. Therefore, it relates to what we learned the most about the 1960s in class. Wolfe really emphasized that people were more focused on Civil Rights rather than drug usage.

d. I would still give this book an A because I never get bored reading it. It’s still very entertaining to learn about the 60s counterculture. I enjoyed this section more due to the main focus on pop culture and how influential music was on people. I still recommend to keep this book for next year because it’s informational on the counterculture and pop culture of the 1960s. Since the Civil Rights Movement was mentioned and we’re in the mid 60s, I’m going to predict that the Black Panthers will be mentioned soon. Wolfe continues to write about the Pranksters in a captivating and humane way. What he’s writing deeply connects to the general underlying chaos of the 60s. There’s this tone of unease following the most happy-go-lucky people of their generation.

32. Cariel Gamlin

After telling the rebels of the Lockton’s bribes from the crown the rebel army burst in and search the house.They found the chest with the money however they didn’t look in the false bottom. They Arrest Lockton. This results with Lady Lockton passing out. After the craziness of Bellingham’s search of the house, Becky sends Isabel to get Lady Seymour to assist Madam, who’s basically falling apart. Once Isabel gets there, she’s surprised to find that Lady Seymour is actually super nice—she even offers Isabel something to eat, which is more than Madam has ever done for her. She explains the situation of the locktons.She writes a note for Isabel to deliver to the lawyer’s office and another to Madam, explaining that Lockton will soon be released. Apparently, Lady Seymour’s got connections and is pretty powerful for someone Madam desperately wants dead. He left jail as expected. When he returns he gets in a fight with his wife throwing objects. Mr.Lockton invites his friends over.His friends fled the city and is suspected of giving away their secret to Bellingham; Isabel is relieved to know that she is not under any suspicion. Lockton has Very Important Guests in the library, including the mayor of New York himself. He’s given his wife specific instructions not to disturb them, but in Madam’s eyes, it’s rude to not offer refreshments to their celebrity visitor. Knowing Anne Lockton, this is probably code for wanting to meddle in their business and get a glimpse of the mayor.Madam escorts Isabel, loaded down with a tray of wine and goodies, to the library. She tries to get a good look around, but her husband ultimately tells her to leave, allowing Isabel to stay and serve. One of Lockton’s guests explains that their plan to bribe the Patriots hasn’t gone over very well, as the land offered by the King is too far away from their current profitable farms. This isn’t good news for their side, especially since the Continental Congress in Philadelphia is close to declaring independence. The only logical way to wipe out the cry for freedom is to cut New York off from the other colonies, causing the rebellion to die out. And there’s only one way to do that: assassinate General George Washington Oh my!! Isabel acts like she’s sleeping to avoid suspicion though she’s plotting to get the paper with the names of the people plotting. Her thoughts are interrupted to a scream in the kitchen. She’s entering a crazy scene of Ruth having a seizure on the floor. MAdam Lockton is thinking the devil is inside Ruth so she attempts to beat it out but results with her hitting Isabel’s arm. Lockton comes in to know what is going on. Madam Lockton wants to sell Ruth but he denies this by saying that she is needed and is related to Isabel. She realizes she has to leave this environment with Ruth due to the threat of Ruth being sold. So she steals the paper and goes to the rebel fort to met with Cornel Regan. She informs him and then is told a code: ad astra meaning to the stars. Lockton tells Madam that he’ll be fleeing New York to avoid arrest. Not surprisingly, this erupts into another fight, during which he shoves his wife into the bookcase and beats her. Shortly after, a carpenter nails Lockton into a crate for hauling cheese and loads it onto a cart.
    At dawn, soldiers arrive to arrest Lockton. Obviously, their search of the house turns up nothing, because Lockton ran away in a cheese crate. When they leave, Becky orders Isabel to clean up the mess they left behind and goes to the market.
    Back at the house, Becky gives a distressed Madam the gossip from the market. The Patriots have basically started arresting conspirators against the cause of independence like cops pulling people over for speeding when they have a monthly quota to meet. Word on the street is that an Irishman named Hickey, one of the conspirators who also served Washington in the military, let the plot against Washington slip, which is kind of a dumb move since he’s the one who was supposed to kill him. By all accounts, Lockton was able to escape and is safe. Then she’s told to go to the hanging of Thomas Hickey, a conspirator with Mr. Lockton.

Due to the increasing power for the rebels in America during 1776 before the publishing of the Declaration of independence this results with the Loyalist becoming desperate. FOr example the loyalist who were convicted like Thomas Hickey. These people resulted to murder for the reasoning of it being for the crown.

The brutality of women before the huge steem roll of the women’s movement was brutal. Mrs. Lockton is constantly beaten by Mr. Lockton throughout the book. This reminds me of the first portrait we read in the first trimester. Not only is it a somewhat similar time period but the way how The Locktons would work were the same to some extent. Also how Madam treated her servants and slaves reflected how wives would take their grievances out on their slaves.

I think she may find a way for her and Ruth to go home but not in the way she’s thinking. Like maybe she’ll die and see her mom. I also think so far the book ges a B- because it’s a good plot but substandard writing. I wish is was more captivating writing. I think it’s refreshing to she non-antebellum slavery which is the common precept. So to see a form of racism during the 1700’s it’s a new perspective. She tends not to care about the actual war itself due to how one side is hypocritical (to her ) and the other doesn’t improve her situation. This gives her the “I don’t care “ perspective in the heat of the American Revolution.

33. Kyla Hurns

Book Assignment #2
    The novel has gone more in depth about the presidential administrations during the time period. It discussed specifically the Roosevelt and Truman administration and certain policies and programs enacted during their time. So far the book has explained that many of the programs and policies established fall in one of four categories affecting living standards and life chances. The first category was the focus on relief, welfare, Social Security and/or state pensions. The second category was called the “rules for work”, minimum wages, union membership and benefits. The third category was mobilization and military services. Finally the fourth category was the GI Bill or benefits for the military veterans. Now there is a slight bias from the author as she does believe that many if not all of the programs during that time did not truly help those who were really in need of help. The author believes that the intervention of the national government to help these Americans produced a social transformation in the United States. The intervention led to a middle class welfare state where blacks and whites who participated benefited greatly. But, the southern democrats in Congress at the time held the balance of power in the majority party. So, to accomodate and keep the “solid south” alive, laws and programs were deliberately designed to protect white interests and advantages.
    One thing that the author uses is change and continuity over time. Change and continuity over time discusses the characteristics that stayed the same and changed in a given region between two time periods. The author not only discusses the federal programs and policies established by the government during this time but also talks about how some of these policies are still used today like social security, welfare and benefits for the military veterans. But while some are still being used, others have changed in order to truly help everyone except just those who are white. Her use of change and continuity allows for the reader to truly understand the topic on a larger scale over time except just in that specific time period.
    My reading can connect to something that we have studied in APUSH because it discusses the federal programs and policies that we still have established today and who it truly was benefiting. For example the novel went more in depth about Social Security and the minimum wage. It explained how these two programs excluded agricultural and domestic workers. 75% of African Americans lived in the South were in employment where agriculture and domestic was the industry they were working in.So these programs that were enacted were directly excluding a group of people who needed these benefits.
    One connection that I can make to the book or the events is that many of my ancestors and even grandparents struggled greatly to make a living. The programs that were enacted didn’t truly help them at all and left them extremely vulnerable to being able to provide for their family and help them. So many of my family members especially those in the South struggled with being able to stay alive because they weren’t able to receive those benefits which could have done a lot and helped them where they truly needed it. My family in the South is still greatly experiencing the effects of these federal programs and policies today.

34. Nick Johns

Currently in the book 102 Minutes, the second tower, World Trade Two, has been hit with a plane, just 30 Minutes after the North Tower was hit. Now people have realized that the first tower being hit was not an accident, and the ordeal was an act of terror. The book then continues to talk about the first responders entering the buildings, and how the police officers and the firefighters continued having problems with each other as they attempted to work together to evacuate the buildings. The book repeatedly goes back to how the structure of the towers were when they were being built. This time, the book talks about how fireproof the buildings were. Apparently, the towers were only designed to handle a fire on a single floor, and they were built to contain the fire. When the airplanes crashed into multiple floors, the fireproofing between the floors couldn’t work properly, especially in the extreme heat the fire was burning at.
    This event was a big turning point in American History because it changes the way all Americans, and other parts of the world, commuted through air. Post 911, airport security tightened immensely. Heavier checking in processes appeared in airports all around the nation. Unfortunately, because of the ethnicities of the 911 bombers, many people of middle eastern background began being victims of “random searches” for fear that an issue like 911 would occur again. For years after 911, this racial profiling went on, and is only starting to get better now.
    As mentioned before, this book relates to 911, which we are currently learning about in class, because it is directly about the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers on September 11. This is also indirectly related to the United States affairs in the Middle East, specifically Iraq and Afghanistan, in the 1980’s and 1990’s. This also relates to the United States affairs in the Middle East AFTER September 11 as well, when the United States Army entered Iraq looking for Osama Bin Laden, the organizer of the terrorist attacks. This event is currently just fizzling out nowadays, as the United States is still present in the Middle East nowadays.
    I believe that the next big event that will occur in the books is that both of the towers will collapse due to the instability of the steel beams. I think the book will also take the time to examine how the people on the ground will react to the towers collapsing, and it will probably cite certain interviews that the author or other people have had with some of the people present during the September 11 attacks. The book will probably also talk about how the current president at the time, George W Bush, will appear at the cite, now known as Ground Zero, shortly after the towers collapse. This activity that the president did greatly improved his approval rating, which pushed him up to one of the highest presidential approval ratings of all time. The approval rating did, however, fall in his later term, when people began getting fed up with how long the extermination of Osama Bin Laden was taking.

35. Hadin Sayed

From hanging out in Roxbury, Malcolm meets a man nicknamed Shorty who instantly becomes very close with Malcolm. Shorty decides to call Malcolm “Red” because of his reddish hair, and that nickname sticks for Malcolm. Shorty takes Malcolm to dances and although Malcolm didn’t dance at all in Lansing he is natural and becomes very popular at dances. Shorty also gets Malcolm a shoe shining job. By going to nightclubs and doing things like getting a conk, he further alienates himself from his half-sister (Ella) who he lives and who has more traditional values and wants Malcolm to go to school. His sister is able to convince Malcolm to switch jobs to a ice cream parlor in the Sugar Hill. There he meets an elegant young black lady named Laura who has big aspirations to go to college. Malcolm likes her a lot and they go out together on dances. However Malcolm meets a very pretty white girl named Sophia at a dance and they start hanging out leading to an abrupt breakup with Laura. Malcolm and Sophia have a very intimate relationship. Sophia however sees other men but even though Malcolm knows he is her main man he still gets jealous, so Malcolm ends up stealing a very nice necklace to keep Sophia happy. With Malcolm’s half-sister mad about Malcolm’s relationship with a white woman and them generally growing farther apart, Malcolm decides to move out of Ella’s place and is able to rent out a small place with Shorty. The part ends with white men that know Sophia, see Sophia and Malcolm together. This leads to the men messing around and harassing Sophia and Malcolm, but more importantly leads to Sophia to make a halt in their relationship.

This section of the book shows change and continuity. One reason of this is because of experiences Malcolm faced. Malcolm went from his dad being brutally murdered by the KKK to having an intimate relationship with a very pretty white lady. We also see continuity though with racists laughing at the idea of a crazy relationship between a pretty white lady and a black person. Another reason this is change and continuity is because of the thinking. People are changing because they are embracing new culture like Jazz and dancing, and experimenting with new hairstyles. Still though there are people who show a continuity of wanting traditional households and lifestyles. This section that takes place in the late 1930’s can be deeply connected to the division between the old age and new age in the 1920’s. Like previously mentioned Malcolm fully takes advantage of the new culture in Roxbury. He picks up new slang, a new stylish haircut, new dances, and a white girlfriend. This type of behavior leads to fierce arguments between him and his older half-sister, who like their shared dad had more traditional ideals. In the 1920’s there also a huge division between the traditionals and new age. The new age saw the changing role of women with flappers, radios, jazz music, etc. The traditionalists heavily pushed back against this new culture emerging. We see this with Henry Ford who pushed back against the new age culture and promoted a Victorian Age Culture.

I have the prediction that one of these times, Malcolm will get in the wrong situation which will lead him to get in trouble with the law. Until the incident with the white men, he was having the time of his life with Sophia. This leads me to think maybe he will take even more desperate measures to get Sophia back. Last time he sort of had a feeling that they were fading apart so he stole a necklace for her. Now that they are 100 percent broken up for at least the time being, so I think maybe he will try to steal something again of more value to give to Sophia. Also, I know Malcolm at one point goes to jail for a considerable amount of time as we learned about it in APUSH, so something had to trigger him to do something to arrive in jail or maybe he set up given his race.

36. Cole Sutton

Louie has now returned from his trip to the olympics and returns to the USC campus and team. Louie makes an acquaintance with a very mysterious Japanese man named Jimmie that seemed very suspicious. Louie then starts a new training regimine with USC that can increase his time further with hill runs and stairs. People around town and the campus start to believe that with this new training and Louie’s speed increasing he can break a 4 minute mile.Louie then is set to run at the NCAA championships but is unfortunately boxed out early and cut by other shoe spikes of opposing runners, he still ends up winning and setting a record but does not break the 4 minute mile. Louie continues to set records, while the begging of WW2 starts to take place, japan is starting to want to obtain/invade China. In 1940, Louie learns that Hitler has start his invasion of europe and caused complete chaos there. The Olympics had been cancelled because of this particularly because the stadium was blown up. Louie becomes depressed and stops training and starts a new career as a wielder. The draft was soon enacted and Louie figured that if he joined the military before he can at least choose his position, he joins the air force then drops out because he becomes too nauseous while flying. Louie then is chosen for a physical test but fails after his blood sugar was too high because he ate a bunch of candy. This plan works for a couple weeks but he was soon drafted back into the war. Louie is drafted back into the air force where he becomes a bombardier. Later the fbi figure out the Jimmie is actually a spy for the japanese navy and louie then hears about the events of Pearl Harbor.
    During this point of the war the Japanese would send frequent spies to the U.S. this caused the community to hate the Japanese and discriminate even the innocents. They placed some Japanese in camp like areas so they could not spie longer, again placing some innocent civilians there as well.
    I can compare the draft here to that we learned in APUSH. We learned that all young men had to serve their share of years if they were in the right physical condition. The young men were assigned areas of the military unless they had a certain expertise of signed up for the military. This ultimately led to a backlash in most of the community but it helped us win the war.
    I believe this book will go on and eventually find Louie enlisted in the war and he will go on some crazy adventure. I think Louie will eventually have to go through something very tough in the war referencing the name unbroken. I think Louie will have a hard time in his position because he hates flying and he has a fear of getting shot down. I believe the book will go this route because Louie has had a tough life and the book will show his mental willpower throughout this.

37. Kiran Krishnan

The second part of Seabiscuit finally begins the actual story of the horse and his journey with his team: Howard, Smith and Pollard. The chapter begins with Seabiscuit’s training, and the steps that Smith took to ease Seabiscuit’s temper and get him to work hard, enjoy racing, and trust him and his rider. After a few weeks of under Smith’s watch, Seabiscuit starts to show speed and courage and is entered into a race. In the fiftieth race of his life, Seabiscuit wins showing that he finally understands the game. He continues to garner success in smaller races, breaking track records without even trying, but Smith continues to keep him hidden until the Santa Anita Handicap. Seabiscuit disappointingly loses by a hair, many blame it on Red Pollard, who feels the heat from the press, but keeps his mouth shut because his career would be ruined if people knew he was blind in one eye. It was 1937 and the depression has been in fully swing for eight years. Seabiscuit was starting to become a hero to the American people. Smith begins to look westward for new and more challenging competition for Seabiscuit and finds it in War Admiral. A big challenge is introduced as the impost/ handicap weight for Seabiscuit continues rising to the point where it begins to create a risk of injury to him. One of Seabiscuit’s weaknesses as a racer is introduced: his difficulties running in mud or on a wet track. Seabiscuit does not win all his races because of this and Smith decides to scratch him from all races where the track is wet. In a race with another horse Red Pollard is suspended and it extends to all horses, so he suggests George Woolf to ride Seabiscuit, but Howard does not agree. Seabiscuit begins to receive very high imposts, and Howard continues to scratch him out of every race with imposts that are too high. Meanwhile, a man is caught attempting to sneak into Seabiscuit’s stall and shove a sponge up his nose to interfere with his breathing. Worst of all, Pollard is injured riding Fair Knightess; so, Howard agrees to let a jockey named Workman ride Seabiscuit. Seabiscuit finishes second in the San Antonio, and it is decided that Woolf will ride Seabiscuit in Santa Anita. The week leading up to Santa Anita doesn’t go well and Seabiscuit ends up losing the race by just a hair… again. A race is finally set up between War Admiral and Seabiscuit, but Red Pollard gets seriously injured, his right leg is badly broken and almost completely severed below his knee. The doctors are able to save his leg but he may never race again. In Boston, Seabiscuit strains a tendon running up the back of his left foreleg and can’t run, but when Tom Smith announces it no one believes him because of Seabiscuit’s history of scratches. Howard and his son, Lin, have a rivalry which comes to a head in a match race between Seabiscuit and Lin Howard’s horse Ligaroti. Seabiscuit wins, but Ligaroti’s jockey Spec Richardson fouls Woolf repeatedly and starts a fight on horseback. Both jockeys are suspended from all California tracks, but because Woolf acted in self defense, so the press tries to get his suspensions lifted. Red Pollard falls in love with his nurse, Agnes, who agrees to marry him. Alfred Vanderbilt, who has just married Marcela’s niece, sets up a match race between Seabiscuit and War Admiral at the Pimlico racetrack. Charles Woolf races Seabiscuit against War Admiral and wins by a solid amount. (I’m sorry that I’m so bad at summarizing).
    In the second part of the book, Hillenbrand, again, does a wonderful job of providing context for the story, which is not shocking considering that is what the book is partly known for. She helps the reader understand the celebrity status of Seabiscuit, through contextualization of the time period, particularly the radio and the great depression. Hillenbrand mentions the widespread popularity of the radio and how it allowed so many people to tune into races. Without this technology, Seabiscuit’s popularity might not have been so great. Another thing that launched Seabiscuit further into superstardom was the ongoing great depression. American spirits had been crushed and Seabiscuit was a hero to the American people. The horse represent the American dream in a way. He was an overlooked, scrawny horse, yet he had become so successful. The hope he gave people increased their infatuation with him.
    The hope that people found in Seabiscuit is partly what made America love him. This kind of reminded me of Devil in the White City, and the public’s amazement with all the fun activities. There was a slight economic depression that was also going on at the time of the fair, and the fair and it coverage provided a slight distraction from the hardships that americans were enduring, similarly to how americans were reacting to seabiscuit.
    Part 3 of the book is the shortest part of the book. I know that beating War Admiral was a big accomplishment for Seabiscuit, so I’m not sure that he will continue to race for much longer. Plus, if I remember correctly (from the movie), Seabiscuit injures himself pretty badly. I’m not quite sure what Smith will end up doing once Seabiscuit injures himself, but I don’t think he would push the horse very much harder.

38. Brody H

A. Part two in this book continues to develop the plot, the setting, and the characters for the entire book. In this part, it continues the story about a runaway/escaped prisoner slave named Curzon talks about his adventures during the revolutionary war. In the beginning, Curzon was in a canoe floating down a river. Isabel, a friend of his, just rescued and helped him escape from a British prisoner camp. One night, Isabel leaves looking for her sister, she takes all of their money and other important stuff with her when he was asleep. Curzon is wandering around when he hears footsteps so he hides behind a log. A battle goes down between the redcoats and the rebels as he is hiding. He waits until they’re gone, then he hears one man’s footstep and sees that a young rebel soldier is about to either shoot or get shot by a British soldier. The British soldier aims to shoot but Curzon throws a rock at him knocking him off balancing causing him to miss his show. Then the young rebel soldier shoots the redcoat. The rebel is named Eben and takes Curzon back to the battle that was going on and Curzon takes the redcoats weapons, shoes, etc and goes and helps in the battle. Later in this section, they win the battle and get 6,000 soldiers to surrender. Curzon ends up joining the military. A man Curzon used to work for comes to the bases and screams at him saying he stole his spoons and shoe buckles, but Ebens uncle who happens to be the General of this rebel group has Curzons back.
    B. During this time period in 1777, after the rebels beat Burgoynes soldiers all 6,000 of them, they celebrate the victory of the battle. They’re very happy, but they realize that the main chunk of British soldiers are in New York and they will need some more battles to end up winning the whole war. They need one big battle as in the siege of Yorktown which took place in 1781.
    C. This first battle that I talked about is the Battle of Saratoga, the battle we talked about in class and that was a big change and turning point in the war for the rebels. This exact setting in the novel was a slide in one of your very educational powerpoints.
    D. The predictions I have for the rest of this book is that Curzon is going to be in a couple more battles, but after a while he is going to try and run away. I also feel like Curzon is going to met back up with Isabel. Curzon is going to try and run away but Eben will stop him. Also, Curzon and a man named Burns will still not be getting along and Burns seems racist and Curzon obviously is black. Right now, I would still rate this book a B+ because it is teaching me about this war while it is also telling a fun interesting story.

39. Rachel Shulkin

“The Help”

A) As Aibileen and Skeeter continue on their writing journey, they continue to collect accounts from other black maids to include in Skeeter’s book. But, when Skeeter leaves her bag with all of the research in it at Hilly’s house, she becomes worried for the security of the project. Speaking of Hilly, she continues with her Home Help Sanitation initiative in this portion of the book, lobbying it to citizens by placing advertisements around town. In Skeeter’s personal life, she tries dating the senator’s son a second time, who surprisingly seems to respect her aspirations in being a writer. At this point, the KKK has started to cause violence in Jackson, murdering an innocent black member of the NAACP with racist backlash from the mayor of Jackson following the incident. These events worry the Community Church and move them to discuss what action they will take on the violence. At the end of chapter 15, Hilly and Skeeter clash on their values as they both confront each other and Hilly decides she cannot be close friends with someone that believes in integration, because her husband is running for city office. As Miss Celia deals with another miscarriage, Minnie mistakes her for a drunk and becomes suspicious of her friendliness towards the help, especially because of her past with Miss Hilly. Similarly to Aibileen, Minny involves her family in the civil rights but urges they keep quiet for safety. When Yule May (Miss Hilly’s maid) gets thrown in jail by Miss Hilly for four years, the other maids working on the book become even more motivated to finish it, putting honest and real material into their stories. As Skeeter and Stuart’s relationship continues, she finds out that his family would protect all of the black help that works on their property- a statement that strongly contrasts most other white people they know. But, unfortunately, Skeeter is sure their relationship has come to an end during a League meeting where she is also threatened to be kicked out by Miss Hilly, who becomes increasingly frustrated with Skeeter’s attitude (which she does, in chapter 22). Around the same time of the Birmingham church bombings and the march on Washington, Hilly faces issues with her initiative and receives some backlash for it, especially when she writes about it in the League newspaper. Tensions continue to rise in the group when Miss Celia shows up to a meeting, accidentally letting it slip that Aibileen lied about Minny’s recommendation from Miss Leefolt. This will not help Aibileen, especially because she has already felt anger from the Leefolt’s about her close relationship with Mae Mobley. Minny continues to struggle when all of the blame is put on her by the league women, although Celia values Minny so much that she ignores their rude comments. Minny is being beat by her husband at this point, which breaks her even more. Towards the end of chapter 24, Minny and Celia have a horrifying interaction with a man that shows up in the yard, and Celia ends up beating him unconscious. This section concludes with the benefit, an event turned sour when Celia intervenes and confronts Hilly about not being recognized in helping with the organization of her initiative, but ends up creating a scene when she rips Hilly’s sleeve. The event ends with a very drunk Hilly and a tense situation at a very unfortunate benefit. After reading this section, I would reaffirm my claim that this novel does an excellent job at keeping the plot even between each character, rounding each perspective rather than only defining a few characters and leaving the other to vague descriptions.

B) Being perfectly timed with our seminar coming up, this novel tackles issues that are ingrained into the history of our society, but continue to be prevalent today. Using change and continuity, historians can observe the patterns of racism in America, tracing its history in the country. Although we’ve made progress in fixing the problems that existed in the time of The Help, new groups and interests have made way for new problems to arise. The unhealthy cycle of racism that exists within the culture of this nation is undeniable and unfair to those who fight to stop the adversity they face- only to have new ones surface in the name of ignorance. Unfortunately, there are still many people that treat minorities as lesser humans and lower their standards for their success. In a modern society that we live in, shouldn’t it be possible for anyone to succeed on an equal basis? Obviously not. This is the very reason that it’s necessary that books such as The Help need to be read and taken into the context of our time, so we can better recognize our faults-and fix them.

C) The middle portion of this novel really reminded me of the movie we watched in class about the nature of racism in America- “The 13th.” Relating back to what I mentioned in the last paragraph, both pieces are extremely thought-provoking and beg for reflection on the situation presented in the piece, in comparison to the situation in our current state- only to realize they are all too similar in countless ways. Aside from the obvious fact that both pieces outline the problems with racism and segregation in America, they also do an outstanding job of making the audience think, bringing the topic of racism to a broader context than just the Civil War unit we had been focusing on, to zoom out on all of history, to observe it and make purpose out of what steps we take now to improve the climate of the country.

D) Since there was a lot of unresolved tension introduced in this entire section, I can assume that conflict will occur between characters in the upcoming chapters. I think that Aibileen will have more issues with the Leefolts in regards to her close relationship with Mae Mobley and that Hilly will either move forward with her project, or it will fall apart. By bringing in historical context, I can assume that church members will continue to gather about the tense political climate, reacting to the big civil rights milestones and congregating to make a change in their own community. Now that I’ve read more of this book, I would give it an A. In many books, a lot of the set up is done completely in the first third of the book, whereas this novel continues to develop and unfold before the readers eyes throughout the entire novel, bringing a rounded and interesting plot that involves many characters and perspectives. Because of the variety in point-of-view, this novel never fails to be interesting, not even considering the amazing writing Kathryn Stockett brings to the table. Her ability to humanize and develop characters through pure writing is astounding-you can hear how the characters speak through the pages because of the tone and description Stockett uses, which is significantly different between each character, further showing off her ability to write a versatile and engaging piece.

40. Philip Bradbury

A. Summarize your reading for that part; also, this might be the part to examine bias in the book w/ specific examples. In the beginning of this part, the author explores the life of John Wilkes Booth. She visits many museums and even Booth’s grave in Baltimore. She visits a museum where she meets the manager of a museum and they discuss Booth and share many opinion on him especially their belief that he was “cute.” The author explains certain conspiracy theories about Booth and how he was mummified instead of buried, and explains how he went on the run using fake names as cover for his true identity. The author then finishes chapter one by talking about the life of Frederick Douglass and his impact on the U.S. In chapter 2, the author goes into the assassination of President Garfield. She initially goes into detail about the presidency of Garfield and his campaign in 1880.

B. Connect a historical thinking skill to your book segment – contextualization, comparison, change and continuity over time, synthesis, cause and effects, periodization (including turning points). Garfield was president during the Gilded Age, a time of huge labor movements in the U.S. The corruption that was taking place due to Laissez Faire economics and the monopolization led to huge social and labor reforms all across the northeastern U.S. The Gilded Age was an extremely important time in the U.S. as it eventually led to many of the labor laws that we have today including the hour work day, which was implemented in 1940, and worker’s protection and rights in the workplace.

C. Connect your reading to something we’ve studied in APUSH. The life of Frederick Douglass was a huge topic in APUSH that we studied this year. After reading his personal diary, we learned a lot about his life as a slave, and slavery itself thanks to his detailed descriptions about the hardships of life during his time as a slave. As a class we discussed a lot about slavery and abolition especially, which Douglass was obviously a huge advocate for. Douglass was such a huge figure in U.S. history as he brought to light what slavery was to the people in the north with his literature, giving a boost to the anti-slavery movements in the north. Also, we studied the Gilded Age in depth with topics such as the Homestead Strike, Railroad Strike, and the monopolies of Carnegie and Rockefeller. The Gilded Age was a time of reform mostly in the area of labor and economics which came along with the Industrial Revolution that was taking place at the time, which created a huge boom in the economy, and was a catalyst for corruption in the U.S.

D. Make predictions as to where your story will go (in your last assignment, this needs to be an evaluation – Give the book a grade – A, B, C, D, F – and a recommendation to keep the book for next year or ditch it and why). This would also be where you can examine your connection (or lack thereof) to the characters or events. I think the story will continue to go in the direction that I first predicted. It will now focus on the presidency of Garfield and his assassination like the author did with Lincoln. I believe that the author will go to new museums dedicated to Garfield’s presidency and life, while also exploring the life of his assassin Charles Guiteau, and visiting museums and looking at artifacts about him. I would give this book a grade of a B-. I say this because I think that the book is moving slower than it was at the beginning, and because it jumped around from place to place more than ever which was extremely difficult to keep up with. This difficulty forced me to reread so many parts of the book in order to understand, but I still enjoy the book because of the author’s personality and humor. Her wit is what really keeps me interested along with knowing that McKinley’s assassination is coming up in the book which I am very excited to learn about.

41. Ella Landers

a. For this assignment, I read three chapters on The Eisenhower administration, The Kennedy Administration, and the Johnson Administration. They each delved into different evidence and events throughout their presidencies that related to UFOs and their stance on them. The Eisenhower chapter focused on “the golden years” of UFO history despite the frosty relationship between Truman and Eisenhower. The chapter mentions how some of the strangest events from UFO history come from this time period, and although some are backed up by hard evidence, much are more anecdotal in nature. Some events described in this chapter are the extraterrestrial craft crash in New Mexico, 1947, which had been documented and briefed by the president, a document called SOM 1-01 that contained a government manual on how to dispose extraterrestrial entities and technology that had been sent to aviation expert Don Berliner, and 1947 Roswell incident. The Kennedy Administration focuses on Kennedy’s interest in the UFO phenomenon and how his death led to a number of conspiracy theories on UFOs. The author goes over how facts exist that tie the president to the UFO issue and how that may have played a role in his assassination, such as attempts to covet power from the CIA and give it to the DIA, information found in the Burned Memo of objects found on the radar of NATO headquarters in 1961. The chapter also discusses the manuscript by Vernon Bowen in the 1950s discussing flying saucers and how this played a role in Kennedy’s life as well as FOIA documents that could have been leaked on purpose to misinform Americans. Lastly, the Johnson Administration chapter covers NASA’s space center named after him and how NASA’s relationship with Johnson could prove Johnsons connection with UFOs as well as the Kecksburg incident, the Malmstrom ICBM shutdown, and the great Northeast blackout of 1965.

b. Contextualization- Truman and Eisenhower had a very complicated relationship. It started out well enough and in 1948, Truman even privately suggested to Eisenhower that Ike run for President and Truman would serve as his Vice President. When Eisenhower did decide to run for President in 1952, Truman, while campaigning for Adlai E. Stevenson, was vicious and unrelenting on the campaign trail when talking about Eisenhower. Eisenhower, in turn, was critical towards Truman about Korea, among other things. Then, there was a misunderstanding involving Eisenhower’s son who had been fighting in Korea but was back in the United States for Eisenhower’s inauguration. Truman had ordered Eisenhower’s son, John, home so that he could attend his father’s inauguration, but Eisenhower thought that Truman was trying to embarrass him and make it appear as if John Eisenhower was receiving preferential treatment. (Deadpresidents.tumblr.com)

c. I’d like to connect the books mention of NATO headquarters to what we learned about NATO this year. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or NATO, is a official alliance between North America and Europe. Its main purpose was to defend each other from the possibility of communist Soviet Union taking control of their nation.

d. I give this book a C+. This is worse than my first grade; as I was still fairly new to the book and was hopeful about where it would go. Unfortunately, it seems to stay the same: a somewhat boring description of different events, somewhat confusing at times. For now, I would still keep it on the book list, because it may just be me who considers it boring. But if it doesn’t change at all throughout the next few chapters, which I predict to be very similar to the last few, then I would suggest taking it off.

42. Jackson Gugni

In the next part of the book we look at Howard’s jockey as well as seabiscuit himself. His jockey, John “Red” Pollard, left home at a young age to train as a jockey, and he eventually ended up in Mexico at a famous racetrack. Red did become a jockey, but he also was too tall (at 5’ 7”) for a jockey, and he became an alcoholic to numb the physical pain of his many riding injuries. He also lost half of his sight when a stone thrown up by a horse’s hoof during a race caused a traumatic brain injury. Pollard kept his blindness a secret for many years. Pollard also suffered many injuries as a young man in the boxing ring, where he fought as a scrappy underdog for extra cash. He also met George Wolff in Mexico, a more successful, fellow jockey, and they became best friends. Seabiscuit was discovered during a claiming race in Mexico when he was three years old. Already washed up, this eccentric, lazy, food-loving glutton of a horse was as unlikely a winner as Red Pollard was. Seabiscuit’s owner, Charles Howard, a self-made, millionaire car salesman, built an empire from nothing, and he saw something in this horse that he liked: a will to win. Finally, his cowboy trainer, Tom Smith, laconic and driven, formed the last member of this unusual family that supported Seabiscuit’s rise to fame. Again I find myself having a hard time finding a bias because this is really just a true story.
    For this part I will choose periodization, which should be easy considering the bombshell that was the Great Depression occurred during this period. During Howard’s life, as well as many other Americans during the early 1900s, their economic life was not exactly an issue. Howard made a lot of money, and had little bank problems. The only real problem at the time was the Great War but that didn’t include the United States until 1917. The big hit to America was the Great Depression. One person that was really hit hard by this event was Howard’s good friend who was a former baseball player who was forced to sell all of his assets as well as his house. Though Howard was not largely affected by this catastrophic event, many Americans were as the unemployment rate reached sky high. This economic collapse lasted for over a half a decade and would eventually define the 1930s as a decade.
    This answer to this question is very similar to the answer to the last question. One big thing that connects from the book to APUSH is the Great Depression as we spent quite a while going over it. Another connection would be the progressive era as the book spends a while covering the time in which the government banned alcohol as well as gambling. Many Americans living on the west coast get around this by heading to Tijuana known as California’s guilty pleasure. Hopefully as time goes on other similarities will come up such as World War II.
    Very similarly to last week I can’t make a prediction as to where the book is going as I already have seen the movie, but I can make a little prediction as to how the characters develop. I feel like Howard’s wife still have to be addressed so maybe we will get to hear her backstory in the rest of the book, not to mention the greater relationship between seabiscuit and the rider as seen in the movie. I would give this book an A so far as I truly feel like the author is doing a great job of portraying the story and I like the way the story is written. I don’t think that this book is good for our course because it doesn’t cover enough of the subjects taught in our class.

43. Maya Wolock

This section did wonderful job summarizing the lives of James Chaney and Michael Schwerner. James Chaney was a black man who grew up in Mississippi. This chapter explains the issues he faced growing up. One anecdote I found particularly interesting was about how he had grown up with his white neighbors. He never thought anything of it. This was until he was ten years old. The mother of the neighbors approached him and told him that he would never be good enough to play with her sons. It also explains James’s journey to find the NAACP and CORE. He had worked with his father on plastering jobs all over Mississippi. Living on the road had given him more experience with harsh racism. He came back with the question “Why must we live like this?”. It was something that had never occurred to him before. Others, like his father, had carved out a niche for themselves, and had not thought to question it. The next chapter was about Michael Schwerner. This chapter began by explaining Schwerner’s strong belief in forgiveness. It then explains his course through education at Michigan State University and Cornell University. It also describes his move away from traditional Judaism and towards humanism. After he finished school, Michael and his new wife moved for his new job. He worked on a public housing project as a social worker. He felt that social work was not enough and that he needed to become a political activist. He and his wife joined CORE. They went to the south to work. They were loved, but had to move often as their host families would often receive threatening phone calls. His accomplishments while working in the South include: establishing a community center, integrating a church, and recruiting people for voter registration classes. The police were monitoring Michael as well as the Klan. He received many threats.
    Change and continuity within the fight for increased rights for Black people is a very interesting topic. From the beginning of America, we see oppression of Black people through slavery. This then became sharecropping, which became Jim Crow which became redlining, which became mass incarceration. Throughout American history, this nation has oppressed black people. However, there have been changes made. Segregation has ended with the Civil RIghts Act and Brown V. Board, Affirmative Action has helped increase opportunities for people of color, and we have even had a black president. We still have a very long ways to go for true equity to be reached, however, changes have occured that have helped.
    In APUSH, we studied the temperance movement. While freedom summer occured for a very different reason than the temperance movement, there were some similarities. Both started off as non-violent. The supporters of both movements were almost never violent. It was the reactions that led to violence. During freedom summer, the three men were murdered, along with many others. During the temperance movement, people protesting outside saloons were often beaten. Another similarity that these movement share is that both were motivated by people wanting to stop violence. For those in favor of temperance, it was wanting to stop domestic violence, and for those in favor of civil rights, it was wanting to stop race-based violence.
    As I stated before, it is impossible to make predictions about this book because it is not a story, it is a historical retelling. However, I feel very connected to the events. This is mostly because my grandfather participated in freedom summer. He was a lawyer, and he went to help register voters. When I was reading about the motivations the three men had for participating, it made me feel closer to my grandfather.

44. Jonathan Giha

I am reading After Lincoln by A.J. Langguth. It is a book in which each chapter describes the life of an important person before and after the civil war. Chapter six is about Oliver Howard, and it focuses on his military life, his role in the freedmen’s bureau, and controversy surrounding the freedmen’s bureau. Chapter seven is about Thaddeus Stevens, and focuses on his reactions to Andrew Johnson, his tough road to adulthood, and his career as a lawyer. Chapter eight is about the fourteenth amendment, focusing on the injustices that brought it about, activism by african americans in the south, and the passage of the fourteenth amendment. Chapter nine is about Edwin Stanton, focusing on his childhood, his love life, and his service as secretary of war. Chapter ten is called Salmon Portland Chase, focusing on the battle between Johnson and congress, the impeachment of Johnson, and the life of Salmon Chase. Chapter eleven is called Benjamin Franklin Wade and it focuses on Wade’s possible replacement of Johnson as president, his personal life, and his anti-slavery/abolition efforts. Chapter 12 is called Nathan Bedford Forrest and focuses on Johnson’s acquittal by the Senate, the Klu Klux Klan, and the political life of Nathan Forrest. The book is very unbiased, and almost exclusively gives facts, and gives both sides of issues very frequently.

It could be said that this time period is similar to that of Bill Clinton – the Republicans thought he was incompetent and immoral, and found any excuse they could to impeach him, but in both cases the president was acquitted by the Senate. Another similarity is the oppression of African Americans caused by their actions. Johnson prevented many advances that the Republican congress would have made if Lincoln were the President, and under Clinton laws like mandatory minimums were passed which attacked african americans under the guise of law and order.

A connection between my reading and APUSH is the mediocrity of Johnson. In APUSH, we learned about how he arguably let the South go back to its ways of the past, building its wealth on the backs of african americans. In the book, it mainly talks about him being a scumbag politically, e.x. saying one thing to congressmen then doing something else. The book also discusses his drunkenness, anger, and pride, which he let influence his decisions on more than one occasion (e.x. trying to fire Stanton).

I think it’s almost guaranteed that the book will continue in its current fashion, with every chapter having a different subject matter. I would give this book a B because while it does give good information and tells stories well, it is a bit disjointed and it could definitely have better transitions between chapters. I would recommend keeping this book for next year because it gives many details and can easily be connected to what we learn. I do not have any connection to the characters or events because they are one hundred and fifty years old, and no one from my family had any large part in them, as they didn’t live in America at the time.

45. Jake Flaherty

While the World Watched by Carolyn McKinstry

a) Carolyn McKinstry is reflecting how a bomb went off in a church that killed four girls she knew. She’s going through the experiences, what the day was like, the shock, what happened when the bomb went off, what she saw, the whole package. She goes through how she knew each girl, and how important this way is/was.

b) More contextualization! Context! This is in the 1960s, after the sit ins and freedom rides and Brown vs. Board of Education, and the Civil Rights movement is here and in full force. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech just happened, along with the March on Washington, but the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, and Black Panthers don’t exist yet. Heck, John F. Kennedy is still alive, Lyndon B. Johnson is still an unknown name… A quiet name… And Civil Rights his happened. The KKK (Ku Klux Klan) is now active, and they’re being racist and doing lots of violence. Emmet Till has been killed, along with many others… Racism is very prominent. The Little Rock Nine have gone up to school, and schools are starting to become unsegregated, it’s really a time of change…

c) I can connect this again to the Civil Rights Movement we learned about in First Trimester. This is because the Civil Rights Movement is a big part of the book and this book is a big part of the Civil Rights Movement. This is something that really set off a lot of people in the Civil Rights Movement, and I remember talking about how if the bomb was intentionally trying to kill or not in APUSH First Trimester, or if it accidentally went off. It was supposed to go off, but maybe if was meant to go off when no one was nearby it. Unfortunately, we lost some young lives.

d) I don’t have any predictions, she’s just talking about the aftermath… It’s complicated. Everything that I might want to predict has already happened, and there weren’t a whole lot of predictions to being with as this is a nonfiction book. I would give this book an A, it’s really good at conveying emotion, you can easily tell that the author was actually there, and how she knew these people. It also is powerful, it shows the troubles of racism and how being black, you play by a different set of rules. And it really humanizes these people, and it’s just dramatic… It’s really, really well done, it really makes you think as if you were in that situation. And you can connect more with the characters now, although the main character is going through something I’ve never even imagined happening, you can really see them on a personal level in this way and see them as human, and you can see yourself reacting in a similar way if you were in that situation. And being in this situation really would be tough, and that’s exactly how McKinstry describes it.

46. Megan Zacharias

Orphan Train pt. 2

47. Joseph DeMarco

Ghost Soldiers

a. The book continues with the Rangers stopping in Balincarin after hearing about a large force of Japanese troops moving near the area and near Camp Cabanatuan. The Rangers decided to stay and camp out until the force moves out. The Rangers move out after the 24 hour delay through rough terrain to Platero, just outside the camp, where they are going to stay until the Japanese move out. While staying there, the Rangers make themselves at home, one medical officer converts a house into an emergency room for the POWs when they come out. A couple more officers camp out in a shack, giving them a great view of the camp, where they can find out information about the layout of the camp, and the strength of the force staying there. The soldiers finally move out of Platero and cross the Papunga River, stopping about a half mile from the front gates of the camp. Again, since this book is a narrated non-fiction book, there is a lack of bias in the book, as the book is based on facts and real-life events, as opposed to opinions and made up aspects.

b. One historical thinking skill that can be applied to this section of the book is contextualization. The context of this section takes place in late WWII, around the turn of 1944 and 1945, in the Philippines. The Americans are conducting a large raid on one of the largest prison camps in the country, owned by the Japanese. This raid takes place after the invasion of the Philippines, and some things occuring at the time include the invasion of the Lingayen Gulf, the Battle for Luzon, and occured after the invasion of Leyte Island just a month before. The U.S. is attempting to retake the Philippines after losing it in 1942, attempting to liberate it from the brutal crimes committed by the Japanese, fearing that they did the same thing to the Filipinos as they did to the Chinese. After losing the country in 1942, the U.S. is also attempting to rescue many POWs that were trapped and led no choice but to surrender to the Japanese. The raid at Cabanatuan is specifically trying to rescue victims of the Bataan Death March of 1942, after they marched from Bataan, all the way north to the camp after capture.

c. Again, this book can obviously be connected to WWII, specifically the Pacific theater, or the section of the war fought against the Japanese in the Pacific. The American war strategy at the time of this book was to hop islands, taking each island one by one, establishing airbases, and using air bases to bomb other islands. At the time this book takes place, the Americans have moved west, towards the Philippines, and are combatting the Japanese here, until they are able to move north and attack Japan from the south. Soon, the Americans will launch planes from Okinawa, just south of Japan, that will drop both of the atomic bombs needed to end the war.

d. My predictions for the last section of the novel is that the soldiers are going to raid the prison camp as quiet as they can, and successfully take the prisoners home after maybe an intense gunfight. I also predict that something horrible will occur, that something will go wrong. For example, maybe a commanding officer is killed or maybe someone else important is killed. They will obviously extract the prisoners successfully though, because the book wouldn’t have been written if they mission failed miserably. My connection to the characters has also got much worse, because in these chapters, there are no pictures to give you a better image of the characters, and there isn’t a lot of dialogue occuring that allows for a better understanding of each character. This lack of dialogue makes us really feel connected to the narrator, but we suffer the lack of connection to the characters actually involved and speaking.

48. Nolan Kamoo

The New Jackals: Ramzi Yousef, Osama Bin Laden, And The Future of Terrorism
    Simon Reeve

A.) This part of my book focuses on the events that occurred after the bombing at the World Trade Center, as well as the information uncovered after-the-fact about the lead up and tensions of Al Qaeda terrorism. The next chapter in the book talks about the actions that law enforcement officials, both domestic and foreign, took to figure out who was responsible for the bombing and the beginning of the tracking down of Ramzi Yousef and Al Qaeda. Specifically, the chapter covers the Manila apartment and the partial print found in the apartment matching a sample from Interpol databases, which turned out to be a match to Ramzi Yousef. The book then continues into Ramzi Yousef’s beginnings, where he came from and more importantly, how he became involved into the terrorist scene. Each part of this chapter adds an event that Yousef went through to mold him into the terrorist he really is, such as Osama Bin Laden’s terrorist camps and involvement with other terrorist organizations with connections from friends. The third and second to last part of my reading was an extension of the previous chapter. More into Yousef’s lifestyle as he grew older is covered. The book talks about his worldwide travels, especially with connections to the United States and Ramzi wanting to follow in his father’s footsteps. His father, Muhammad Abdul Karim, was also a relevant terrorist involved with the Sipah-e-Sahaba group, an organization of Sunni Muslim extremists who believed eradicating Shiites was its holy duty. This chapter also talked about how Yousef became acquainted with the United States and the shift in moving his terrorist viewpoints and tactics from the Middle East and other Asian countries to America. The last chapter of my reading, titled “The Eminence Grise”, entails a shift in the plotline from Ramzi’s life in the past up until the attack date to after he was safely taken into custody. This chapter talks about law enforcement making the shift from focusing on capturing one known terrorist to the organization of Al Qaeda as a whole. In this chapter, the government started looking into foreign territory in the Middle East to take on terrorism, and ultimately had the goal of taking down Osama Bin Laden.

B.) {CHANGE AND CONTINUITY OVER TIME} In a way, this part of the book could be seen as the explosion of a buildup of tensions throughout the Middle East. For a long time, the terrorism acts stayed within the Middle East’s boundaries and the rest of the world viewed it as an internal problem and nothing for another part of the world to worry about. This represents the continuity over many years. However, the change comes when there was a shift into bringing those radical ideals into the western world. As soon as the problem affects us directly, then we become involved in the issue and decide to do something to create change. In many ways, this can be seen as the breaking point. We decide to do something about the issue and go and attack terrorism head-on with our attacks towards Al Qaeda, our pursuit of Osama Bin Laden, and our capturing of other terrorists. This represents the change component over time. It can be seen directly in the book in the first chapter in my reading; that being the one covering our uncovering of terrorist plots and government pursuits to find them. It can also be seen in the last chapter in my reading, as that one covers national idealistic shifts from domestic issues to foreign terrorism in the Middle East.

C.) I am going to connect my reading this time to the Oklahoma City Bombing again, but for a different reason. After law enforcement officials officially captured Ramzi Yousef, he provided them with the same information as Timothy McVeigh did when he was captured. Both men believed some of the same ideology. The government won’t be concerned unless there is a body count. When there is a body count, the event actually turns political heads and at least stirs up conversations. They both believed what they were doing should be popular opinion and were in direct retaliation. They believed the government had personally wronged them in some way or another, and this solidified their reasoning for going through with the attacks. In conclusion, parallels can be drawn between both prime suspects in the terrorist attacks.

D.) Looking through the rest of the index, the rest of the chapters cover in depth looks at Al Qaeda and the realization by American government officials that they actually posed a serious threat to national security and had to be contained and/or eliminated. In addition, a later chapter will talk about life in a Supermax prison for Ramzi Yousef as he serves his life sentence without the possibility of parole. The last chapter is its own prediction as to where the future of terrorism is headed. I’m particularly looking forward to the “Supermax” chapter because I am interested in the evolution of the prison system and the security standards at which a supermax prison is held. As I said in my first reading blog post, because this is a factual recount of events, there aren’t necessarily characters involved, besides the real-life humans. I did not really find any connection in this part of my reading to any character or event as I did in my first part of the reading. Though, I am thinking I will be able to have some sort of correlation in the third part of my reading throughout the last couple chapters on the future of terrorism and the prison scene, but we will see.

49. Charlie Hardy

a. In the second part of “No Place to Hide” by Glenn Greenwald, things like the aftermath of the releasing of the information that was stolen by Snowden are explained. Greenwald talks about the nature of the information that was released, and how it was consumed by the public and President Barack Obama and his administration. He talks about how the NSA first tried to defend their position on the topic of US surveillance, saying that they defend their own citizen’s rights in regards to privacy, but not citizens of other places or countries. Greenwald also talks about his own reactions to this situation by explaining the size and scope of Snowden’s revelations and his own surprise in Snowden’s findings. It seems that it will steadily become more and more clear that Greenwald is indeed in favor of Snowden stealing private documents from the government and urging that they be shared with the public. He also explains what the program “X-KEYSCORE” did, telling the reader about how it was used to illegally spy on people. At the end of this part, he poses a question to the reader; “What does limitless surveillance mesh for us as individuals, in our own lives?”

b. Contextualization—Around the release of the Snowden Leaks, the trial of George Zimmerman, the man who shot and killed an unarmed black man, was happening. During this time, Nelson Mandela recently died and so did Paul Walker. The Jodi Arias trial also occurred during this time, and so did the Boston Bombing.

c. I connect this part of my reading to the Watergate scandal once again. I personally feel that the Watergate scandal might’ve even (subconsciously or not) inspired Snowden to reporting this information to the public. Though the Watergate scandal and the release of the Pentagon Papers that followed are different to this political leak, in which the Pentagon Papers talked about US involvement in the Vietnam war and other foreign affairs rather than US involvement in its own citizen’s lives, they are both political leaks that occurred to inform the public of injustices and things that someone felt that all of the country should know.

d. In the last part of “No Place to Hide,” I think that Greenwald will continue evaluating the effects of the information that Snowden decided to share with the public, and that he will go into further detail about how this information is important and impactful to our lives. I also believe he might further on how these revelations being shared with the public have caused a shift in how we address and protect our own privacy in our own lives, as evidenced by the question he posed to readers at the end of part two; “What does limitless surveillance mesh for us as individuals, in our own lives?” In this part, I can once again connect to Snowden and Greenwald. Greenwald’s words in this part further persuaded me into believing their point of view that sharing this and informing the public of these injustices was the right thing to do.

50. Diego Roell

Diego Roell
    APUSH C
    5th Hour

A Volcano Beneath the Snow, Section #2

Pages 77 to 146 of the book A Volcano Beneath the Snow are covered in three chapters: 4, 5, and 6. Chapter 4 is devoted to explaining John Brown’s fixation with the elimination of slavery. It begins by explaining his own father’s hate for slavery. Owen Brown’s disgust towards slavery had two main causes: the fiery abolitionist sermons of Rev. Jonathan Edwards Jr., and the presence of a slave named Sam in his life. This slave belonged to a neighbor who sent him to help out Owen’s family after his father’s death during the Revolutionary War. Sam was like a father to Owen, and his death truly devastated him. He would openly speak in favor of abolition, and instilled in his children the same values. John Brown held the same values as his father, and felt even more strongly about slavery. The murder Elijah P. Lovejoy, the owner of an abolitionist newspaper, truly made Brown into a radical. He swore that he would consecrate his life to the destruction of slavery. The remainder of the chapter focuses events that led up to the raid on Harpers Ferry, notably the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 and the Kansas-Nebraska Act. The latter of the two led to Bleeding Kansas. During Bleeding Kansas, Brown led a band of extreme abolitionists. They raided a pro-slavery settlement at Pottawatomie in revenge for a previous raid on the anti-slavery town of Osawatomie. Here, Brown and his gang killed five men. Brown would go into hiding after this. The fifth chapter is devoted to the effects of the Dred Scott decision, particularly the radicalization of abolitionists. The chapter also is greatly devoted to the drama behind Harpers Ferry, along with the planning leading up to it. The sixth chapter is about the aftermath of the Raid on Harpers Ferry, focusing greatly on John Brown’s trial and execution, along with the aftermath. Perhaps most importantly in the chapter, the rise of John Brown as a martyr for the abolitionist cause is explained in depth.

This segment can be connected to contextualization, as every chapter in this section explores some concurring events and developments, along with their relation to John Brown’s actions. Events like the beating of Senator Charles Sumner by Preston Brooks and the Dred Scott case are explored in order to give context to the actions of Brown, particularly his growing radicalization. The actions of other abolitionists are explained in detail, as they relate greatly to Brown. In many cases, Brown physically met and even made friends with some of these activists.

This section can be connected to our study of how antislavery sentiment eventually evolved into abolitionist sentiment. This also gives insight into the dynamics of the myriad groups involved, ranging from poor Southern whites that did not own slaves and the wealthy plantation masters who owned dozens, to the free-soilers that despised both blacks and slavery equally and the fervent abolitionist activists.

Although the sixth chapter explored the immediate effects of John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry, I believe that the remaining three chapters (7, 8, and 9) will explore the more long-terms effects of his actions. I would venture a guess that the seventh would be devoted to the period between the raid and the election of 1860, the eight to the Civil War itself, and the ninth to John Brown’s influence beyond the Civil War and into our modern time.