March 12

Blog #135 – Reflections on the year 2020-2021

For the purposes of this blog, I’m just referring to the years 2020-2021 that began on March 12, 2020 for those of us in Michigan when Governor Whitmer announced that schools would be closed for 3 weeks and other pandemic protocols were put into place and bring it up to today, March 12, 2021.  This date holds obvious significance for me b/c it’s my birthday, but this year, it’s also the one year anniversary of when everything we took for granted started to go sideways.  Just thinking about the past 365 days makes my head hurt because SO MUCH STUFF happened in that time span.  Just as a sample:

• The Covid pandemic officially hit the U.S., in-person schools were shut down for a while, and stay-at-home orders were issued several times
  • The economy was smashed by the rolling waves of the pandemic as businesses had to shut down and others had to reinvent their way of doing things over night – we still haven’t recovered from this yet.
  • A Black man, George Floyd, became the latest victim of police violence against unarmed POC and the sudden explosion of Black Lives Matter protests around the world
  • There was a genuine attempt at looking at the country to see where white privilege existed and change things to benefit all people
  • A strange presidential campaign which didn’t include the usual stuff of canvassing door to door and mass rallies (for the most part), including a sadly bizarre disappointing 1st presidential debate
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden wins this strange election along with the first woman (and woman of color) as his VP, Kamala Harris
  • Numerous unfounded claims and charges that there was widespread voter fraud which would result in over 60+ lawsuits that were all found not to have any merit or substance behind them
  • Liberal icon and Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died a month or so before the election
  • Thousands of President Trump’s supporters, inspired by his words, storm the Capitol while Congress attempted to certify the election, in essence, trying to overthrow the normal functions of our Constitutional government
  • A second unsuccessful impeachment of Donald Trump
  • The successful development and limited distribution of a Covid vaccine by at least 3 different companies
  • For most of this time span, the inept federal (and sometimes state) leadership over dealing with the pandemic as it cycled through three different waves in different parts of the country (We were hit in March and April and then again around Thanksgiving through the New Year)
  • Congress passed three Covid aid packages, with this latest one could do an amazing amount of good for regular people in poverty and in need around the country
  • As of writing this blog this morning (3/12/21), over 530,000 Americans have died from the disease (total worldwide deaths at 2.63 million), and over 29 million positive cases (over 119 million positive cases worldwide).

Questions I would like you to answer (my answers are below):

1. If you could go back to March 11, 2020 and give yourself some advice, what would it be and why?  This can be funny, serious, whatever.
  2. What were your thoughts as the BLM protests spread across the country (along with some amazing changes and actions by companies and institutions)?
  3.  What were your thoughts about Governor Whitmer’s stay-at-home orders in the spring and then again in late fall?
  4. What is your best and worst memories of this past year?  Why?

400 words minimum for all four answers.  Due by class on Thursday, March 18.

1. Advice – I don’t even know where to start with this.  First thing would be to not worry about wiping down all the groceries or not opening delivered boxes for a day or two.  Being out in public during those months in the spring was terrifying but I had to go shopping.  Second, your job will become immensely difficult and the district will change what it wants / expects of you and the students numerous times (and is still doing so), so don’t waste any emotional energy worrying about it.  Just do the best by your kids and make sure that they learn and are doing ok.  Third, I would tell myself that a Democrat would win in November so don’t freak, just not the one you want.  Fourth, buy Game Stop stock in early January and then sell it at its peak on January 27.  Borrow money to do this if you have to.
  2. Sadly, I was not shocked at the death of another unarmed Black man.  What horrified me was the way he was killed and that the network news kept showing it OVER and OVER again.  When the protests started, I wasn’t surprised, but I was shocked at how widespread the protests were.  Then I was pleasantly surprised when the Confederate monuments started coming down.  Also shocked at how quickly terms like “white privilege” and “institutional (or structural) racism” were being used and discussed in candid ways.  There were some very surface level changes like getting rid of the Aunt Jemima syrup or changing the name of the NFL team in Washington.  But I was also pleased to see that the vast vast majority of the protests were peaceful and that most people were wearing masks.  I just hope that we can see some real systemic changes that advance equity initiatives across the country for all people.  Elevating marginalized groups doesn’t mean taking away from the dominant group.  It’s not a zero-sum thing.
  3. I understood the first few stay-at-home orders in March through April.  In the beginning, there was so much conflicting evidence as to what to do to keep yourself safe.  What kinda surprised me was the spread of orders to close schools down for the rest of the school year around the country.  I regularly consulted a website that kept track of this, and I knew that because we had been hit very hard by the first wave in March – May, I knew it would be a matter of time before we were shut down for good.  I was really disappointed (but not shocked) at the number of selfish people who wanted the state reopened quickly and rebelled against mask-wearing.  For many businesses that were forced to close for three months, I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for them to survive.  A number didn’t survive, despite the inadequately funded PPP loans for small businesses.  So I get why business owners wanted to reopen.  But other people who wanted to do their gardening in early April or get their nails done?  SMH.  By June, I was ready to go back to a restaurant and sit down for dinner.  I was tired of cooking all the time.  And when the next shut down order came right before Thanksgiving, I wasn’t surprised.  Cases in the state had been going back up to unsustainable numbers.    I’m not gonna argue over how much was too much or that, but I really was surprised that we did not have physical school for ten months (minus summer vacation).  And I was anxious going back, even w/ my first dose of the vaccine, and am still anxious about fully going back next week.
  4. One of my favorite memories was participating in the Senior Drive-By in June so that we could say goodbye to the Class of 2020.  It was a beautiful day and I loved seeing a bunch of the seniors in their caps and gowns drive by.  I had coached some of them for two years in powder puff and some of them were in my classes.  Another favorite memory was the day in late July when we picked up Scout.  We didn’t know which of the three little girls we would pick, but it seemed that she was the one who gave us the most affection.  So she kinda picked us.  I will preface this part about worst memories by saying that I have not lost a loved one to the virus or been thrown out of my job because of the economic collapse, so I’m coming from a privileged standpoint here.  One of my worst memories of this time was easily the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6th.  To me, this was one of the greatest threats (if not the greatest) to democracy that I had seen in my life.  I didn’t live through World War II or the Civil War or the Great Depression, but I can now imagine this would have been something similar.   For my entire life, I realized how much of the functioning of our democracy I had taken for granted and was horrified at by how close we came to a catastrophe there.

Tags: , ,

Posted March 12, 2021 by geoffwickersham in category Blogs

52 thoughts on “Blog #135 – Reflections on the year 2020-2021

1. Sam Walsworth

What I would say to myself given the opportunity to at the beginning of 2020 would be that quarantine would last for a long time, and that this may be the longest break from responsibilities in my lifetime until retirement and to better myself during it, like working out, reading more, and learning more romanian. If I could say a second thing it would be the spring trimester was not actually graded, that would have saved me a great deal of stress

The large growth in activism and awareness that arose out of the BLM riots were overall very positive and very needed in my view, and the changes that came out and were demanded were positive, more accountability for police and more responsibility, as well as increased de-escalation training. Most of the demands should have been bi-partisan but it was muddled by party politics unfortunately. Many people became more politically aware and engaged because of the riots which is a strong positive and it has greatly contributed to a more politically engaged youth and society that we have right now, and can also be credited in part with the election of Biden over Trump.

I was excited to have a longer break during the first week, but as time went on and I realized that this could go on beyond summer it started to get monotonous and very boring at times, especially during online school. The lockdowns were positive but it did take a mental toll on some people, and I did not enjoy my summer as much as I wanted to. Nonetheless I learned some things over quarantine, like how to ride a unicycle, some Romanian words, and I read some books. I was excited to go back to school in person in late fall but the lockdowns were needed to stop the rising number of cases.

My best memory this year was before the lockdown during swim season, no particular moment in particular I just really enjoyed the whole season, my next best would be the end of online school because I was finally free to do nothing and my responsibilities away from home were gone. I can’t recall a single worse memory, but there were plenty of times where I was frustrated and stressed out, especially during the first trimester where for a while my grades were in the gutter, but eventually I got them up thanks to my teachers and my parents’ support.

2. Jayson W Smith

1. if I could go back to the beginning of the pandemic I would tell myself not to panic, and to just enjoy the free time I had on my hands. I would have told myself to make good use of that time, and pursue hobbies that I didn’t have time to tryout before. While I had fun during the time I wasn’t in school, I do think I could have made much better use of that time. I think I would also tell myself to get used to being inside all day and not go anywhere, because its a year past that point and I’m still doing the same thing.

2. When the BLM protests started, I was glad that change was finally starting to take place in America. Things like what happened to George Floyd were not new in America, and I was surprised at how large and widespread the protests were. I think that some of the changes that companies made were a good start, but long overdue and far from an end product. I think I was also worried about how the protests would affect the spread of Covid, but fortunately, the majority of protesters seemed to have their masks on.

3. I don’t know a lot about the statistics of Covid-19 and the effect the stay at home order had on the number of cases or the economy, and things like that. but from an outside perspective, I thought it was a smart move and the right move. I would rather beat covid the first time than have to go through this again, and I think that having everybody stay at home and prevent the spread of the virus was the best way to do that. I know people criticized the move for the effect it had on the economy, but think beating the virus is more important that getting back to normal as soon as possible- or too soon.

4. I think the best memory from the past year is either spending time with my family or having extra time off from school. I know both of these might seem generic, but it really was nice to be able to spend time with my family that regularly I wouldn’t get, even during a normal summer. With all the time we had on our hands there was lots of activities we were able to do together. And the extra time off from school is self-explanatory, I think. School is very exhausting, especially mentally so every extra moment that I didn’t have to do that was an awesome moment for me. I think the worst memory or memories that I have from this past year is waking up every morning and seeing the number of cases and casualties from covid 19. it was hard to see the number of people who were dying, and seeing that number grow exponentially every day.