March 4

Blog #60 – What kind of reader are you?

March is reading month at Groves and so I’m trying to gauge what kind of reader you think you are.  Your job is to tell us what kind of reader you think you are (see the criteria below) and what you have been reading lately.

Levels of reading comfort:

1. Very strong reader – You seek out a variety of sources to read (magazines, blogs, books, newspapers) and / or different genres.  You rarely go any place without something to read.

2. Strong reader – you are a regular reader of books, primarily of one or two genres, in addition to school reading (textbooks, articles, novels).  You know what you like and you read those kinds of stories.

3. Average reader – you read work for school and occasionally read a book outside of class, maybe 1 -3 per year.  You don’t have time or haven’t found something that interests you.

4. Reluctant reader – don’t regularly or even occasionally read a book outside of school, and you are barely interested in the stuff you have to read for school.

I consider myself a very strong reader.  I average about a book a week during the school year and last summer I read over 25 books.  I get daily email updates from my favorite political / social websites and occasionally read the most interesting articles.  If I know that I am going to be waiting somewhere for a while, I always have my Kindle with me.

I’m currently reading the unedited version of Stephen King’s The Stand, his epic apocalyptic novel that examines the forces of good and evil after a super flu wipes out 95% of the world.  I read the shorter version (700+ pages) when I was in middle school oh so long ago, and I find that by rereading some of King’s oldest novels that I had read 30 years ago, I tend to identify with different characters or get new insights from the book that I didn’t when I was a teenager.

I also finished three books on dogs in the past few weeks by an author named Jon Katz.  He’s famous for his book, Izzy and Lenore, which I read a couple of years ago.  These three books that I just finished are about his life on a farm in upstate New York and his animals and his dogs, two border collies (Rose and Orson) and a yellow lab, Clementine.  Rose loves to herd sheep and is a very focused border collie.  Orson was adopted after two years by Katz and he has struggled to fit into the human world.  Orson is tense and psychotic in ways that confound his owner.  Clementine is a typical Lab who loves peace and quiet and food.  The books are A Dog Year, Katz on Dogs, and A Good Dog.

So, tell me what kind of reader you are and what you’ve been reading lately (it can be school stuff, including One Summer or Killer Angels).  If you need to go back to last summer to pick a book, or choose one that you want to read, include that.

Due Friday, March 7 by class.  200 words minimum.  

Posted March 4, 2014 by geoffwickersham in category Blogs

78 thoughts on “Blog #60 – What kind of reader are you?

1. Claire Westerlund

I would consider myself a strong reader. I read whenever I have a chance, especially in the summer. I really like realistic fiction and memoirs/biographies. I like reading about another person’s situation and it really opens my eyes to the world (outside the Birmingham Bubble). I wouldn’t consider myself a very strong reader anymore. When I was younger I was obsessed with reading and read all the time, but now the problem is that I have little time. For my 1st grade talent show I read a book, I was really into reading. I used to spend 20 or 30 minutes reading books before bed, no that time is spent reading from the APUSH textbook. I still enjoy reading when I have time. When I go on vacation I always bring a couple books along, and in the summer it seems every week I’m back at the library selecting a new book. I think it’s kind of sad that high school has taken away my time to go above and beyond the normal curriculum in regards to reading. Most recently I’ve read One Summer and really enjoyed it. If you want to include children’s books I’m currently memorizing “Shrek” and “The Day the Crayons Quit”. I really want to read the new Jeanette Walls book “The Silver Star” because I really liked “The Glass Castle”. Additionally, my neighbor is (from what I believe) is in the process in writing her second memoir, and I look forward to reading it once it comes out.

2. Abigail Chapman

I consider my self a strong reader. In the summer I always have a book in the car, am reading the newspaper at breakfast, or reading a magazine at the beach. During the school year it’s harder to read a lot with so much going on. Over the summer one of my favorite reads was Lovely Bones, which isn’t one of my favorite genres but it was pretty scary and a good read. I personally enjoy any type of book but really enjoy romance the most or a little science fiction (hunger games, divergent, etc). I usually know what kind of reading I am interested in but I’m always open to different kinds of books (maybe that I have to read for school). I enjoy personal stories of struggles or achievements and I like a lot of novels that have to deal with anything from the past 60 years. Could be from sports, to the economy, to politics. I like reading articles on politico.com or yahoo current events and that kind of thing. Currently I’m looking forward to be able to read Eat. Pray. Love by Elizabeth Gilbert or Switch by Chip Heath. I also enjoy to read other people’s blogs online.

3. Adam M

I would consider my self as a strong reader. I may only average about 3-4 books per school year and 4-5 books over the summer, but I read the newspaper almost everyday, and I also read things on other sites. For example I read a blog about my favorite sports everyday multiple times a day.

Lately I have read One Summer, which was the extra credit book this trimester. For those of you who don’t know One Summer is about the summer of 1927. During this summer many things happened like, the first continuous flight across the Atlantic, the baseball home run record was broken and set by the one and only Babe Ruth, and Calvin Coolidge took the office. But other things happened in that summer but those are a few. I enjoyed the book but I personally am not a fan of the 1920’s in American history. I like the style and lifestyle of the 1950’s and 1960’s with the things like the standard American family.

If you farther back than that I read Inferno by Dan Brown. I thought that it was a good continuation of the Robert Langdon series. I have a read and enjoyed the previous three books. In Inferno Robert Langdon finds himself again being hunted by mysterious organization all while tying to decipher clues left behind a criminal master mind and also trying to save the world typical plot line throughout the series.

4. David Pirog

I consider myself a strong reader. Since I was about 8, until very recently, due to my busy schedule, I read probably a book every two weeks. Although I usually read a lot, it’s always been in the science fiction or fantasy genre. I’ve read all the books in the Harry Potter series, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, The Redwall series, The Ranger’s Apprentice series, The Kane Chronicles, The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon series), The Hunger Games series, and the Warriors series. More recently, I have been slowly reading the Game of Thrones series. It’s been taking me a while, since the books are on average 900-1000 pages long. I particularly enjoyed Ender’s Game, and it’s easily my favorite book. I would love to start to read again, as voraciously as I once did, but reading takes time, and commitment. I would categorize myself as a very strong reader except my choices in genre don’t give much room for variety. Although even at my current state, I probably still read maybe one book a month, I think I’ll start back up during the summer. As to what kind of reader I am, I can’t reread books, since all the information is tucked inside my brain, and if I try to reread a book, it all comes back, and the joy of mystery and discovery is gone. Non-fiction stories often bore me, just because I see reading as an escape from real life, so what’s the point of reading something that’s completely realistic? Although this is true for most of my reading, reading about history interests me, especially when put in a story setting, like in Killer Angels. I’m not a huge fan of the large chapters we have to read in the book though. Those are LOOOOOOOOOONG. To sum up, I’m a very proficient reader, who although hasn’t been reading as much lately, still reads his fair share of books. I love fiction, and I also really like books involving manipulation, politics, intrigue (Ender’s Game anybody?)

5. Zoe Kolender

I consider myself an average reader. If I were asked this question before I started high school I would say I was a strong reader, but with all of my schoolwork and time consuming studying I cant seem to find the time to read a book. The books I read are mostly for schoolwork or to help me study for certain classes. In middle school I loved to read, I would read everyday if I had a good book or I would usually read right before I went to sleep. Now that I am in high school I don’t have any time for reading which is really unfortunate. The books I like the most are usually adventurous fiction books. I obsessed over the Harry Potter series and other similar stories. The only books I have read recently were for school. I read “The Killer Angels”, “One Summer”, and first trimester I read “The Great Gatsby”. If I find time to read more I’d like to read some more books by John Green. For summer reading I read his book “Paper Towns” and I found it really interesting so I would definitely want to look at some more of those non-fiction adventure type books.

6. Karlie S

Very strong reader – You seek out a variety of sources to read (magazines, blogs, books, newspapers) and / or different genres. You rarely go any place without something to read.

I read everything and anything i can get my hands on. I just finished reading the fault in our starts for the second time and i also read one summer. Now i am working on some books i am weighting so i am not reading to much. Corse i have a pile of books sitting next to my bed ready to be read when the times comes.

I read about a book in a week. Thats about a 300 page book and also one that i am very interested in. some books being longer and or i am not so much into take longer.

I tend to read things that don’t even really matter, like backs of movies and video games. also manuals to things, its weird because i end up knowing all of these weird facts that i really have no use for but them will come out of my mouth sometimes and people will give me weird looks.

7. KY W

I would consider myself a strong reader. I always have something to read. Even during the school year if we have down time I’m always reading my latest book or I’m reading an online article I randomly found on google. I want to be a writer so I’m always reading to see which genre I want to pursue but I had a passion for books way before I decided to be a writer. I probably read at least 2 books a week, and if I don’t have much homework at least 3. Over the summer I read 20 books, in a few different genres but mostly romance. I just finished the 50 shades of grey trilogy a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it. At first I was hesitant but I wanted to take the risk and indulge myself in the books that have created so much controversy. Today I just finished the novel, Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. It was an excellent book. It had romance in it but also some action. I am currently writing a novel so I won’t be reading as much in the next few weeks. But I want to read the novel, Nash by Jay Crowner. It is apart of her Marked Men series.

8. Zoe Bowers

I am a strong reader. Back in middle school when I had a light workload, I would have considered myself a very strong reader because I use to read a book a week basically. Now that I have more homework and activities taking up my time, my reading has been limited. I usually only get to read one or two books a trimester, but over the summer I read about 10-15 books. I am currently reading a book called Fly Away Home by Kristen Hannah. It’s a realistic fiction book, but I am also love mystery/thrillers, historical fiction, and history/biography books. My favorite series is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series because mystery/crime novels are my favorite genre. This year, I enjoyed reading One Summer because I found all the stories fascinating since I hadn’t heard of most of them before. I actually also liked Killer Angels because I thought it was interesting how the author included both points of view and didn’t just focus on one. The books I am looking forward to reading next are A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley, which is another mystery book and House of God by Samuel Shem, which is a satirical realistic fiction novel.

9. Josh Gorodinsky

I would have to consider myself as an average reader. I don’t find reading as something to take up my time when I am bored. Also I don’t read much when I have some free time; I just find other things more interesting. I have never really enjoyed reading especially when it is a book we have been instructed to read by one of our classes. I would say I actually do have some time to read books it just doesn’t appeal much to me in order for me to actually pick up a book and read it. And also, I find it very hard to find a book that suits me well. All books I try to start reading become boring in the first chapters, even though I always get told “get past the first 3 chapters and you will like it!!” but I never believe that. Recently I have actually been reading Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Game series, and this is mainly because two reasons. One reason is because in English class we have to be reading a book on our own of our choice. Another reason (why I chose this book and not a different one) is because at the time everyone is talking about Catching Fire and the movie. I actually kind of like it because it has some action parts to it which seems to interest me. Also I am reading The Catcher in the Rye, which I also am supposed to read for English class. This book is not too bad, but I get confused a lot while reading it. Last year in English class we all had to read approximately four books and every single one of them were written a while ago which made them a very hard read and made it kind of confusing to understand what is going on at all times (Romeo and Juliet). Anyways, if I would find an interesting book, I still think I would be doing other stuff than always reading in my free time.

10. Clare Coburn

I would consider myself an average reader. I like reading but I haven’t had time. I know that’s a lame excuse but it’s not like I haven’t been reading. I read One Summer and that was pretty good. I’ve read some of Bill Bryson’s other stuff like A Walk in the Woods and Down Under and I like him as an author. He’s pretty funny, but I don’t think it’s really my genre. I used to like those books like the Hunger Games and Divergent. But now I feel like they all have the same plot and are filled with unnecessary angst and romance. One book I read fairly recently that I really like was the Virals series by Kathy Reichs (she is one of the producers for the TV series Bones). It takes place in modern day Charleston, South Carolina. Four teenagers live on this isolated research island with their scientist parents. They rescue a dog that’s going to be tested on and something goes wrong. They were exposed to something (we don’t know what exactly) and now they have these wolf-like powers. Also, upon writing this I have discovered that there are six books in the series and not three, as I had originally thought. So, it’s a good day for me. Anyway, I like the book because they go on these crazy adventures were they discovered Anne Bonny’s (awesome Irish pirate) treasure, take on a crazy serial killer, and a lot more. There’s also a lot of Charleston history tied into it as well. I would recommend these book to anyone who like history, sci-fi, genetic mutation, serial killers, and dogs.

11. Christina M.

I would classify myself as an average reader, even though I do read more than 1-3 books outside of school during the year. In my earlier years or while in middle school I would say I was a strong reader because I had more time to read books and I would read a lot of series or books by the same author. Now with all the work, studying, and reading that I have to do for other classes like APUSH or English I usually don’t have much time to fit it in. If I do any reading it mainly consists of the schoolbooks. In the summer I do enjoy having more free time to read books that I like, or even over the breaks if I don’t have too much homework. The last book that I read in my free time was over our past break. The book that I read was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I decided to read it because I heard a lot of great things about John Green’s books and I heard he had a movie coming out based on the book, so I usually like to read the book first before I go to see the movie. The book was about a 16 year old girl named Hazel Lancaster, who ends up meeting the love of her life Augustus Waters at a cancer support group. I liked the book because it wasn’t your cliché teenage romance novel and I felt that it had more aspects to it and was realistic. I usually do go for the teen novels, but any books that usually seem interesting to me I’ll read.

12. JAYMOAK

I am a very strong reader, I often find myself lost in the pages of a good novel, I tend to read the same books 3 or 4 times due to how much I love them. I read maybe 4 times a week due to my hectic schedule but I will often read for spouts of hours and finish maybe a book every 2 weeks. I recently finished One Summer and I thought that book to be one of the books that drew me in with the beginning following a murder committed terribly and baseball players hype in the major leagues. I like to read but most of the time I am busy, I look at reading as something I can do in times where I really don’t have anything else to do and am reluctantly bored. A lot of my friends read often so I am trying to read more so that we can discus books that we have read and have book clubs and blogs. I kind of want to read chapter 31 and I probably will, tonight, but the key part of me reading is getting involved in the book or chapter because sometimes I get bored. I am a visual learner so I really do suffer when I try to read sometimes but whatevs its pretty fun.

13. Dana Laughlin

I would currently consider myself a strong reader. During the school year, a lot of my reading consists of APUSH and english books but I still try to finish a book every other week. I used to go to the library once a week and check out two or three books to read throughout the week but now I just don’t seem to find time for it anymore. In addition when I have time I read the news on Yahoo and the Sunday newspaper (except I mostly just read the comics). I enjoy reading mostly either science fiction/fantacy (but not space, alien science fiction more like Harry Potter and my favortie series: Gone by Michael Grant) or realistic fiction (such as My Sister’s Keeper). I am currently reading Will Greyson, Will Greyson by John Green. I love John Green because he brings up really deep subjects and makes very philisophical points that most young adult books often don’t. Will Greyson, as far as I have gotten with it, doesn’t Green’s usual pattern. Will Greyson uses Green’s usual humor to tell a story of two boys named Will Greyson that meet under unusal cicumstances and form a strange sort of friendship. The Gone seris is by far my favorite series. It’s about a nuclear powerplant that has a leak and affected the youth of the nearby city. An autistic child suddenly develops strong powers and puts up a barrier around the city and everyone inside the barrier over fifteen is gone. The kids have to then live without adults while developing powers due to the radiation and trying to find a way to get out. The book has six books in the series and I got the first book in the series when it was published in 2008. Because the books would come out once per year, I grew up with the series and always anticipated the release of the next book.

14. Amanda Bachand

I would consider myself somewhere between a strong reader and a very strong reader. When I have time available, I usually find myself reading a book, magazine, or the newspaper. I have my own subscription to a few magazines and try to find time to read books that interest me. However, it has been really hard lately for me to find time to just sit down and read. This is why I feel I’m closer to the strong reading level. I read many different genres and like to switch it up so that I’m not always reading the same thing. I recently went on vacation and read Bossypants by Tina Fey, Allegiant by Veronica Roth, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me and Other Concerns by Mindy Kaling, and This is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz. The books by Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling were simple beach reads, and I had been meaning to finish the Divergent series so quite a while. I was also planning on reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai, but I instead caught up on my Time magazines and some other trashy tabloids that are fun to read now and again. I am currently in the middle of I am Malala and I am really enjoying it.

15. Angelica E.

*MADE A MISTAKE AND PRESSED ADD COMMENT,COUNT THIS ONE.
    I would consider myself an Average reader – you read work for school and occasionally read a book outside of class, maybe 1 -3 per year. You don’t have time or haven’t found something that interests you. I read what I have to read for school and barely read outside of school. I very rarely find a book that interests me, when I do I can’t put the book down. In my first trimester of Honors English I read about 25 books all the way through because all of these books had interested me, therefore I set aside the time and effort to read. Another reason why consider myself an average reader is because in my spare time I love to do creative things like make jewelry I do research on new technology and read articles and magazines based on these interests. I also read magazines, articles, craft books in my spare time. In high school it seems like I barely have any free time with tests every week, so I love to cherish the free time I do have by resting and doing what interest me. Don’t get me wrong to others reading is resting, but I prefer technology. I have never personally been interested in a book that was instructed by a teacher to read, but when it comes to extra credit I am all for it, such as One Summer by Bill Bryson.

16. alex straith

I consider myself a strong reader to very strong reader. This uncertainty comes from the fact that fanfiction was not included in any of definitions. If fanfiction are counted I am the definition of a very strong reader, always reading one or another or possibly multiple at the same time. On my phone I have an app dedicated to fanfiction for me to read, so I always have something to read with me. In the area of novels recently I have read divergent just having finished that a week ago. I have also recently read book 12 of the rangers apprentice and the 3 brother-band chronicles books. In addition I have read the house of Hades and Enders shadow recently. When I am reading it has almost always been a fantasy or sci-fi. Then there was the school required novels such as the great Gatsby and huckleberry fin. When not reading a novel or fanfiction I am most likely reading a wiki page on a character or technology/magic type for whatever story I have been into recently. After watching the first 3 seasons of game of thrones I have just started to read the first book of game of thrones. I am planning to read the next 3 in the series when I am done but these are all very long books and I don’t plan on stopping reading the fanfictions or wiki articles to make room for it though, meaning it could take a long time to get through game of thrones. When done with those I hope to read the original man in the moon book and the original how to train your dragon’s books.

17. Madi D

I definitely consider myself a very strong reader (1). Every time I go to the library I come home with at least 10 books and they are all finished within a 2 week period. I love exploring all different types of genres, whether those typical sappy romance stories, intense mystery books, biographies, how to’s, self help, or simply a feel good read. Any book you put in my hands I’ll read and 95% of the time I’ll thoroughly enjoy it. I always have a book with me in my backpack in case class is finished really early, and I usually have one with me when I travel. The books I’m currently reading are The Host and The Truth About Forever. The Host is a science fiction book set in the future of the ruins of the World. An alien species invades our world and takes over the human bodies destroying their soul. The body/soul the book is focused on is a girl named Wanderer whose human body’s soul refused to give up possession of her body. They have to go out and find the rest of the humans that haven’t been taken over by aliens and save the love of Wanderer’s life. The Truth About Forever is a feel good book written by Sarah Dessen about a girl whose boyfriend leaves her for a summer. She plans on just staying the same and taking over her boyfriend’s job at the library, but once her life takes an unexpected twist she finds herself wanting to be the person she was before her father’s death. My favorite type of books usually involve some type of mystery in them, or some aspect that I can personally relate too, but when it comes to books I’ll read most anything.

18. Chuck C.

I would consider myself a very strong reader. I currently read novels, fiction and non-fiction as well as bios, on a very sporadic basis just coming off of wrestling season and jumping straight into the spring play, but when I’m not super occupied I read. I read newspapers, especially now with the battle between pro and anti-government supporter in the Ukraine. I also read magazines like WWII History, Civil War Quarterly, Classic Porsche, MAD, Rolling Stone and Mojo. I read a lot on the internet as well.
    I read different wired things also. I read the backs of and booklets in albums, I read entire coffee table text books on military history, and I am currently reading through a 1967 Cougar, Fairland, Falcon, Mercury-Intermediate, Mustang Shop Manual. On the novel front, I am reading True Grit, which I would recommend, at a very slow pace.

19. Han Rzeppa

I considered myself an average reader. Outside of school, I barely read. The last time I tried to read a book for fun that was during the school year was first tri of freshmen year, and that was the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I got about halfway through the Fellowship of the Ring and I gave up. Usually I’m able to push through required reading for school, but being required to read stuff can be pretty awful and discouraging towards “fun” reading. Another discouraging thing is when English teachers force you to read/keep book logs for class because they love reading so much. It’s great that they love reading, but forcing your love for something onto someone else isn’t going to make them love it (truthfully it kind of made resentful towards reading this year)
    It’s not really lack of time or lack of being able to find stuff, it’s just having a lack of interest. Books are cool and great but its not the form of media I would choose. Having to read worksheets, and then textbooks, and then more worksheets day after day at school doesn’t encourage me to go home and read. I’ll occasionally read an article I find if the topic interests me, but that’s about the extent of any “fun” reading I do. Reading maybe a form of relaxation for many. My form of relaxation just happens to be watching marathons of Law and Order SVU.

20. Jack Dolan

Solely based on these criteria, I am mostly a strong reader. I don’t read quite as often as I used to, but I can still read very quickly. I have some genres I prefer, but I am willing to read almost any genre (except for stuff like Twilight). One of my favorite genres is horror, and one of my favorite books is Stephen King’s, The Shining, which was almost 700 pages… with tiny print. I recently got the sequel, Dr. Sleep, and I look forward to reading that. The Shining is a classic novel and film; they’re very different, however. The book is about some strange occurrences at the Overlook Hotel and the effects they have on the caretaker, Jack Torrence, and his wife and child. (118) I’m also a fan of mystery (The Shining is kind of a mystery and suspense/ horror) and science fiction. I want to read 2001 A Space Odyssey. I’ve seen part of the movie and it certainly got my interest. I’ve also wanted to read The Lord of The Rings for a while now. I read The Hobbit, which wasn’t too long (which is why it’s ridiculous that they’re trying to stretch it into three movies) and I want to finish the series.

21. Imani R

I wish I were a strong reader, but I would have to say that I’m pretty average. Reading is not my thing. I’ll read what I have to for class but often it’s just for the sake of reading and not to retain any information. I almost never have time to read for leisure and when I do, most of the time the book doesn’t interest me long enough for me to finish it. In my teenage years, specifically ages thirteen to sixteen , I’ve read a staggering number of books for leisure, four to be exact. These books would include the classic stylings of The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins and The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I finished The Fault in Our Stars sometime last month and I truly appreciated that book. I’m very picky when it comes to writing styles and John Green’s suited me perfectly. I would recommend this book to anyone, and as a side note, the movie is coming out in June. If road signs and T.V. guide’s count, I’m currently reading those. But in all seriousness reading is important to expose your mind to so many different ideals. Reading can also form you into a better writer, which is what I plan on doing with my life. Sometimes I feel like reading different styles of literature can be even more effective than schooling.

22. Nathan Lazor

I’d say my reading is strong. I don’t read a ton of books with so many things going on, but if I find something that interests me, I’ll make time and knock it out. However, I find reading for school an absolute pain. I can’t deal with books like the Great Gatsby. Everyone raved about how good it was, and how they couldn’t wait to read the next chapter. I found that I hated it, and would much rather SparkNote the rest of the book than read another “flowing, fluent sentence” that I couldn’t fin the message of. I’m very picky about what I read, but I certainly enjoy reading about current events. I’m a fan of books like the Hunger Games, but I found “Let’s Roll” by Lisa Beamer very intriguing. Written by the wife of Todd Beamer, one if the heroes aboard United Flight 93 on 9-11, it explains his and several other people’s roles in the events that occurred on the plane. I also read countless issues of ESPN the Magazine and Sports Illustrated. At the moment I’m not sure what I want to read next, but if you give me a book about sports, a military conflict, or anything involving current events, you can bet that I’ll read it.

23. Paige W.

I would consider myself to be a very strong reader. I read excessively, whenever I have the chance I read, in fact one of my favorite apps is a reading app. I read on average 1-2 books a week. I never limit myself to a single genre of book, i’ve read teen romance novels, science fiction, mystery, thriller, and even read a book about vitamins once. I will google random things and go one their wikipedia page and find myself 2 hours later reading about The Tunguska Event when I started off at the history of the tuna fish sandwich. I am currently reading The Language of Flowers which explains what different flowers mean, so you could send a bouquet of flowers that says I love you but leave me alone. I like reading to learn new things, and acquire new skills. I remember when I was about 5 or 6 my brother bought me the entire Babysitters Club series and I read the first 85 books by the end of the year. My favorite book currently would have to be Looking for Alaska by John Green bc it’s just a really a good book, it made me laugh, cry, loathe and love characters and it really just moved me. So yeah I really love reading.

24. Lizzy C.

I span between an average and reluctant reader. Considering the way I prioritize my time, you would not often be able to find me reading novels. Although, as I evaluate my reading experiences, I usually enjoy the time I spend reading, I find myself preferring to complete homework, exercise, and catch up on sleep instead. When I do read, I prefer to indulge in short articles either from magazines or online verses a lengthy chapter book. I am fond of articles because they are generally much more straight to the point and more short and sweet than a 250-page novel. The subjects I enjoy reading about are broad and vary from science related information to current news. I often have trouble getting myself to read books for two reasons: first, I prefer to watch videos as I am a visual learner; and second, when I have to read it is usually for school and I have a hard time enjoying reading when I am forced to do so. I view reading similarly to how I view running- I feel accomplished afterwards but it is hard to get myself to start again. This view shows that I am, to be blunt, not very motivated to read. Thus, because I occasionally read and enjoy the time I spend doing so, I am a between an average and reluctant reader.

25. Sarah Quasarano

I would consider myself an average reader. I feel this way mostly because I hardly have time to read a book for school, so it seems impossible to read one outside of it. Before high school started I absolutely loved reading and did it often, but over the past year and a half I just haven’t had the time or interest. I do always read the school assigned books, and sometimes read ahead if I actually enjoy them, but I have to have a lot of interest in a book in order to read it not as an assignment. I would classify myself as a reluctant reader but I used to love to read so much, it feels weird saying how little I have done it recently. Most of the reading I’ve done lately has been re-reading my favorite books. I love the Twilight series, Angels and Demons, and The Little Princess. They’re pretty random books for me to like, considering they have little to nothing to do with each other, yet I’ve read each of them around 10 times and I still like to do so. In fact, I have even started reading them in Spanish. I would still classify myself as an average reader, because the majority of my lack of reading is due to not having time, rather than not enjoying it.

26. Timmy Walsh

As much as I would like to read more and be one of those cool indie book kids, I’m not. I would consider myself an average reader, and that’s stretching it. I will read all the stuff I need to for school as long as it’s not written in a text book. However, when I was younger I was always reading books anything from Harry Potter to Oliver Twist. I think that my love for reading diminished so greatly is due to a rapid decrease in free time and attention span. Nowadays i can fairly easily begin to read a book and yet seldom do I ever actually finish the book, this problem most likely stems from my lack of real motivation to focus my full attention on anything that does not entertain and interest me completely. This year I have began reading, outside of school, three books and i am about 3 chapters into all of them. The only book that I am determined to finish this year is a book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. I Chose to read this book because I really didn’t like any of the other books on the list given to me and I figured there wouldn’t be many people in my group and I was right. The book is all about how the world is tailored for extroverted people and how introverted people’s ideas are often over looked because people tend to follow people who are more vocal rather than those who are quiet.

27. Ross House

In my opinion i am an average reader. Although i do like to read when i am going to be waiting for a while. For example, i will read a magazine in a doctors office or on a plane if i have any with me. Besides those occasions where i have nothing else to do sometimes i don’t read to often. If i do find a book that i like, i will engulf myself in it. Just this year i read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and even though it was for school, i enjoyed it a lot. I can’t say i have the time to read as many books as a “Very Strong Reader” but i doubt if i did have the time i would use it reading. I used to read a lot more when i was younger, but as i have gotten older, and the homework load has increased, i haven’t had as much time. I have tons of books in my room, as well as in my brothers room, that i could be reading but I’m just too weighed down with school work. I would say i started on track to be a Strong Reader but i haven’t had enough time recently to read much of anything.

28. Coco L.

I would consider myself a strong reader. When I find a book that I really like, it’s hard for me to put it down. For APUSH, I read One Summer, which was long, but I thought it was really interesting so I finished it in a couple of days. Unfortunately, because of school and extra curricular activities, I don’t get to read as much as I would like to. My grandma from France visited in January and brought me some books in French to read, but I still haven’t had enough time to sit down and read them. I like reading in English, but to keep up my French I also do enjoy reading books in French. My grandma is an avid reader and participates in many book clubs so when I’m looking for a good book I usually turn to her for guidance. The last book she gave me to read was called Those Who Save Us and it was about a German woman living in Germany during World War 2 with a her child whose father was Jewish. I thought it was very interesting because it described the lengths that these women had to go to in order to keep themselves and their families alive. It was also cool because since the story took place in Germany, there were often German words in the text, and since my dad was born and raised in Germany I could ask him what they meant and what not. Although it was a disturbing and very sad book, I liked it overall and it was a book I couldn’t put down. I really like reading and I think it’s a shame that I don’t get to read as much as I would like to because of my busy school and sports schedule. I like that there are so many different genres of books that you can find. I also really love reading because I think it helps to expand your knowledge on all different topics, which is really beneficial in general. In short, reading rox.

29. Joey Rubin

I consider myself an average reader. I currently have an ever growing pile of books on my desk to read and I do not get to any of them. I do read all my assigned reading for my classes though, which can amount to an hour or more on any given night. This does not mean I do not like reading, I do but I find it difficult to find a book that I like enough to finish. The last book I did read was revolutionary summer, but only for the extra credit. I would have stopped reading it sooner because of how slow paced it is. One of the last books I read for pleasure is Jewish Jocks which is a collection of articles written about the most successful of Jewish athletes. It is both funny and informative and I especially enjoyed because I am Jewish and love sports. Among other things I’ve read and enjoyed are The Outsiders and I will read close to any article in the newspaper about basketball or the tigers. The Outsiders is one of the few books that thoroughly changed the way I view something, in this case success. It really shows the other side of everything in success whether it be success in law, hockey, or violin. It is a great book. The books I want to read next are Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, Anti-Semitism: A disease of the mind by Theodore Isaac Rubin and The Bronx is Burning by Jonathan Mahler. I believe I will have more time for these books now that basketball is over and I will have a lot more time to read in the summer.

30. Victoria Lucas

After last summer, I would consider myself an average reader. When I was younger, I would feel obligated to read a new book every week because it inspired me to want to improve the quality of my writing. I would always boast to my friends and try to get them to enjoy the works of my favorite author, Mary Downing Haun.
    I have nothing against reading,especially the passages in exams like the ACT , however its not always a rational choice to make (on top of all the other work I have to complete) . Honestly, some of those passages are quite intriguing. Due to the fact I have no choice but to read them, I find myself wishing that I’d be able to come across more books that were identical to them. They force me to step out of the typical genres I gravitate towards, such as romance novels or mystery diagnosis.
    Recently, Junior year has been distracting. With all of the regular exams, ACT planning and testing, Drivers ed and sports, I find that my free time for leisurely activities (reading) is limited. I miss being able to have time just to sit back and relax. The only reading I’ve done in the last year or so has been in regards to textbooks or extra credit assignments such as reading “One Summer”.
    There used to be the time where I would be so invested in a story that I’d spend hours reading it without setting it down. Furthermore , I would eventually end up reading a 300 page book in a day. Hopefully, by this summer, everything will slow down and allow me more time to enjoy reading like I used to.

31. Kelsey DeCarteret

Basically up until my freshman year of high school, I would have classified myself as a very strong reader because I loved to read and had much more free time. There was minimal homework, so I had more of a life. Nowadays, I would unfortunately have to consider myself as more of an average reader. I always have countless hours of homework and reading for school, and there is little time left for reading books of my choice. What usually happens if I start a book when I have some free time, is that chances are that I probably won’t finish it because I don’t have the time, or desire to continue with it. Since there is so much reading in school, I don’t really find reading “fun” anymore. Even if I had more free time, reading would not be my first choice of activities. By the time I finish reading text books for homework, I don’t really feel like reading anymore that night. The most recent books I can recall reading are textbooks for school, mostly APUSH, and the required reading during English first trimester. We read The Great Gatsby. To be honest, it wasn’t a horrible book but I never would have chosen it to read it on my own. I always start reading books for school with the mindset that they are going to be boring, which is usually true, but I feel like if I would have read the book outside of school I might have enjoyed them.

32. Emily Levin

I would consider myself an average reader. Although I do love reading throughout my life I have found it difficult to find time to sit and read a full length book. I do read articles when I get the chance to. Many times my family emails or puts articles on my bed they want me to read. Typically about topics they know will interest me. Such as, what colleges are looking for, what the new nutritious trends are and anything that they think could relate to something I am studying in school. Besides articles from various places I recently read Killer Angles for school which was fiction but went into what the generals in the Civil war were thinking and their internal conflicts. Another book that within the last year, I read and fell in love with is called Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Its a nonfiction memoir that goes through the authors adventures when she hiked the pacific coast trail. She sold everything she had that she didn’t need to hike and hiked the pacific coast trial about 1,100 miles by herself. It goes through all the problems she encounters as well as her internal thoughts. I personally find nonfiction memoirs about peoples obstacles very interesting and are easily my favorite books to read and the hardest to put down. In the future I plan to read Hello America about an eighteen year old girl that makes it out of the Auschwitz and makes it to America and how she starts her life new in New York City by Livia Bitton-Jackson.

33. Natalie cooper

I would consider myself to be an average reader. If I was asked this a few years ago I might’ve considered myself to be a strong reader but now I feel that with school and sports and everything I have going on I don’t have a lot of extra time to read books when I can. I always read the assigned reading for school and sometimes I’ll read ahead if I really like the book but it might not be something I’d just pick up and read for fun. Although recently I’ve been trying to read more like for break I got a few books to read on the plane ride and I try to finish them. I recently read Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell and it is one of my favorite books. After reading Paper Towns by John Green for summer reading I’ve tried to read more by him because I really like his books. Whenever I read I usually stick to the same type of books and there are certain books, like The Pact by Jodi Picoult, that once I read them I really like them and I read them a few times. I really wish that I had more free time to read books so I could get myself to become a “very strong reader”.

34. Colin C

I would consider myself an average reader I read most things for class but not all of it interests me. I will occasionally pick up a book and read it if I’m bored or going on a trip and need something to do. I don’t have time to read stuff for school and read for enjoyment with a busy schedule. I also find other things more fun and interesting than reading I would much rather do something than read about it. I also don’t read much because I don’t have the attention span to sit still and read for long periods of time, I have to be moving reading just doesn’t work for me. When I do read it’s usually for school so I have to do it If I want to get a good grade. I would say most of my reading is from articles online like at npr or other websites. These interest me because they are shorter and are about things that are happening that affect my life. I find these to be in more of an abundance because there online and changing everyday were a book takes a while to write and publish. The last book that I read outside of school that I liked was the hunger games trilogy I liked it because it had a good plot and kept me on edge.

35. Rebekah H

I would consider myself a strong reader. As many others, were I asked this question about 5 years ago, I’d be very strong. I’d like to get back into the swing of reading more often, but I find myself caught up in school, church and just life in general. When I do get free time, I usually don’t really do anything worthwhile because I just want to sit and bask in nothingness. However, I do still read fairly often. I read nutrition facts on everything for the sole purpose of reading and comparing my Cinnamon Toast Crunch to my dad’s granola (It’s quite fascinating really). Scrolling through my facebook feed, I will click on and read every single article that comes up. On the 5 hour drive from Chicago, I read a woman’s entire blog and continued even after we got home. I find myself googling anything I’m interested in and will read entire websites (this is how I memorized all those WWII facts). When it comes to books, I will read almost anything except for horror and fantasy books. I’m also really picky about science fiction. My favorite genres are mystery/crime and historical fiction. I love the suspense of crime novels and learning new things about history while still being interested. My grandma like to buy me Mormon mystery books (yes, they exist) so I’ve read about 20 of those. I also love reading books that make me cry (which I guess isn’t that hard) because that’s proof that I’m really getting into it. I get emotionally attached to characters. Recently, I’ve read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hesitant to read it because I thought it would be boring, but I found it so intriguing. I learned a lot from it and it was just so interesting. I usually have a stack or list of over 10 books that I want to read, it just takes me a while to get around to it.

36. Emily Stillman

I consider myself to be a very strong reader. Reading has been one of my favorite things to do since I was young, and I accumulated a large library of my own throughout the years. Even though I read less now than I used to because my workload at school has increased, I have still managed to read some good books lately and am always looking for new ones. I read all the popular books like Hunger Games, Harry Potters,etc. years ago and some of my favorite books ever are classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. More recently I have read all of John Green’s books, my favorite being A Fault in Our Stars. I’ve also read various easy beach reads like Hate List by Jennifer Brown and Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman which are both easy reads with very interesting topics. Reading is important and has always been a favorite pastime of mine which I think has helped me develop stronger writing and reading comprehension skills that I can use in school. I’m always looking for books to read and some of the classics end up being my favorites.

37. Audrey Laport

I would consider myself a strong reader. I really enjoy reading and I read whenever I have spare time. I enjoy reading realistic fiction the most. I read very fast when I am reading a book that I enjoy. When I’m reading a really good book I usually finish it in one or two days. The only reason I wouldn’t consider myself a very strong reader is because I don’t like to read anything nonfiction or newspaper because I find it very boring. I haven’t read anything for fun that I really enjoy in a while because I’ve been so busy lately. My favorite author is John Green. I have read every book that he has written. My favorite is The Fault in Our Stars and I have reread it 5 times. When I find an author I like I will usually read every thing that author has written. I also enjoy reading series. I can usually finish a trilogy in less than a week if it is very good. I finished the Divergent series when I was on vacation in less than a week because it was so good. During march is reading month I will try to find time to read more books for fun.

38. Amy Klezek

I would consider myself an average reader. Even though I do read more than 1-3 books a year, I have not been reading as much as I used to. I don’t have very much time because of school, sports and homework. This year I have read a few books for Honors American Literature and APUSH, but other than that, only one or two on my own time. Over the summer I have more time to read, and that’s mainly when I get a lot of reading done. I have this thing where I only like to read at night, so during the school year I don’t have much time during the weekday nights or weekend nights, between doing homework and hanging out with friends. When I am really into a book, I can sit down and read it for about four hours straight. Most recently, for APUSH, I read Killer Angels and One Summer. I was not a huge fan of Killer Angels, but I found One Summer much more interesting. I don’t normally read historical books, so it was very different and more challenging for me. The last book I read outside of school was The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green (for the second time). I have read all of John Green’s novels, except for An Abundance of Katherines. I started it then had to stop to read One Summer. I really enjoy his books and that genre of books, which is realistic fiction. Before reading all of John Green’s books, I read some books of a similar genre by Sarah Dessen and Jodi Picoult. Also, I read a couple magazines whenever new issues are sent to my house, which is once or twice a month. I want to find more time to read and read different types of books.

39. Leo D

I would definitely consider myself as an average reader. Practically all the books I read are for school or help me study for a certain class. I’ve never been a big reader and I hated when we had to fill out the elementary school “reading logs” because I didn’t enjoy reading during my free time, to be completely honest I can’t even remember how many times I wrote in a false number of pages on one of those things just to reach the minimum required reading. During the school year I have way too much homework and school work to have the time to sit down and read a book and during the summer I’m either hung up with baseball or enjoying the weather, so all year round I’ve maybe completed two or three novels. I’m a relatively slow reader but I’m not bad at reading as I’m able to keep up with the honors English work load. Recently the only books I’ve read were required such as “Catcher in the Rye” by Salinger and “Into the Wild” by John Krakauer, and the last books that I think I’ve read on my own time were the “Hunger Games” series. In terms of reading I’m about as average as it gets.

40. Brendan Doll

I would consider myself a reluctant reader. Although I do rarely read a book outside of school, I do find the stuff that I am required to read in school very interesting. For example when I had to read the great Gatsby for American literature class. I found the book very intriguing as the way that the author and the book described the way of life that most people had in the early and mid-nineteen twenties. Most of the books I have to read in school I in fact find interesting. Two of my favorite books I have read in school include the odyssey and the story of Odysseus’s long journey home to find his family after returning from war against the Trojans. A second favorite I have read in school would have to be the adventures of huckleberry finn, I especially like the way mark twain tells the story of huck fin and jim and their misadventures on the Missouri river. I find the book very well structured to spark the imagination of the reader. Overall I find that reading outside of school is very time consuming and has no point to it because there are so many things that are able to distract you. Although when I do decide to read I find what I read so very interesting.

41. Colin Pocock

I would consider myself a strong/average reader, during the school year I am constantly interrupted by mandatory reads like To Kill a Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby but when I have the chance like over the summer and on breaks I enjoy reading a book or two. I always have trouble trying to start reading and I do enjoy TV over books but I do not agree with people who say they don’t enjoy to read. My favorite book is probably Enders Game and I enjoy reading books in the Sci-Fi, Mystery genre. I wish I read more but I have a busy schedule so it’s difficult for me to pick up a book. I used to read more and I would always read for 30 minutes every night before I went to sleep but now I find extra hours on weekends and most of my reading is due to mandatory school homework. I enjoy stories that are unrealistic and impossible but stories like Killer Angels which were based on true stories. I do not however enjoy reading textbooks and historical articles because they are boring and hard to focus on. I also enjoyed reading Divergent and I have read the series following Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus.

42. George G

I am a very strong reader and I love to read. My favorite book series of all times has to be The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. My parents started me off reading young and it helped that all of my cousins were older than me and avid readers and gave me someone to look up to. I have recently become very interested in the Dan Brown books about Robert Langdon with such titles as the DaVinci Code. I love reading mystery novels and comic novels. One of my favorite authors is Dave Barry, I have accumulated a large number of Barry classics throughout the years. One series that I haven’t read any novels in is George R.R. Martin’s series Game of Thrones. It’s hard to read as much as I normally do with all of my Honors and APUSH classes but once my workload lightens I hope to continue reading and expanding my own personal library.

43. James Gruich

I want to consider myself a strong reader, reading books typically in fiction and sci-fi fantasy genres, but I still love historical fiction and especially poetry, like the works of transcendentalists such as Ralph Waldo Emerson. I WANT to consider myself a strong reader, but I don’t read a ton anymore, which I’m really sad about. I’ve had Xenocide, the third Ender’s Game novel, for MONTHS now, and I still haven’t read past the first page. I have to start it now, as I absolutely loved Ender’s Game and even more so Speaker for the Dead, two sci-fi novels depicting the struggle of an outcast boy selected to become a military general against aliens for his genius. The most interesting part of the book isn’t that he’s fighting aliens, or that we can travel to distant planets, or that there’s the looming threat of aliens, the best part of Ender’s Game is seeing a young, six-year old boy raised in a children’s military, pushed by adults to become great, with literally the world on his shoulders, and he has to learn to kill. Speaker for the Dead, taking place quite a while after the first book, has an adult Ender, older than he looks, as he has aged slower from constant space travel. The planet the book revolves around, Lusitania, has the only other known sentient alien species besides the antagonists from the first book, having the appearance of pig-men. Studying them and befriending them, the xenologist (alien biologist) on Lusitania is found vivisected with a seed planted in his intestines after visiting the “piggies”. Analysis showed that they kept him alive during the vivisection, and he died with all of his body taken apart after a few hours. Ender comes to the planet and attempts to solve the mystery of the mysterious piggies, while also trying to help the colonists of this planet find a cure for an epidemic reemerging after so many years. The most recent book I’ve read is the well-known The Fault in our Stars. A beautiful, sad book by John Green about a girl with lung cancer, Hazel, living a sad and dreary life when she meets a former cancer Victim, Augustus, who brightens up her world, though Hazel is reluctant to get close, knowing she will eventually die, and not wanting him to get hurt in the process. It’s a tear-jerking book that can make someone consider their mortality, and the result of said death. One thing that irks me, though, is that John Green seems to write the same, god-like, free-spirited love interest in EVERY SINGLE BOOK and there’s ALWAYS EITHER A DEATH OR FEAR OF DEATH OF SAID INTEREST, with the protagonist always taking an introspecting look in the process. From what I’ve read (Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, The Fault in our Stars). He may write the same character, but it’s still a damn good read every time. In conclusion, I want to be a strong reader, but right now I’m only reading at the pace of an average reader.

44. Kara Kennedy

On the scale provided, I consider myself a strong reader. Homework and extracurricular activities lately leave little time for reading which is why I drifted more towards strong reader versus very strong reader. I have too many books on my to-read list! I read a lot, especially during the summer, but it’s mainly fiction. Though I know what I like, I occasionally read something outside my normal genres if it catches my interest. I like books like Hunger Games, The Da Vinci Code, The Fault in Our Stars, or My Sister’s Keeper, and authors like Jodi Picoult and John Green. I’m currently reading some of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock collection which I like. Many kids don’t like reading and I think a lot of that problem has to do with the type of materiel they are presented, whether it’s a textbook or an assigned book. I think the assigned books over the summer should be targeted to elicit interest in reading rather than teach a lesson. I can read 100’s of pages easily, but only if it’s something I enjoy. I have to force myself to read the books assigned over the summer (besides the John Green one this year, I actually liked that one).

45. Lilah Kalfus

I fit under the classification of a strong reader pretty well. I don’t jump at the chance to read or anything and it’s not really something I’ll do in my free time (because I have so little of it) but I do read every night before I go to bed. Mainly because it helps me go to sleep, but I do really enjoy reading as well. I’m just not obsessed with it. I tend to read more realistic fiction books with characters my age or college age. I don’t take the time to read newspapers but if my friend suggests an interesting article to me I will read it. I think I’m somewhat of a picky reader because there aren’t so many books that I’ve really really enjoyed and I don’t really have the patience for ones that take a long time to get good. If it doesn’t catch my attention in the first chapter or so, then I’m not interested. I still do read a lot. I don’t think I’m ever not in the middle of reading a book, unless I’m transitioning between two. The last book I really really enjoyed was this past summer when I read “The Art of Fielding”. I’m usually a pretty slow reader but when I’m very into a book, I’ll read it super quickly. Just this year I made a book list on my phone of books that I want to read so I’ve been doing pretty well with checking books off that list.

46. Liam C

I guess I’ll go with strong reader. I enjoy reading when I can and when I feel that what I’m reading is legitimately worth my time. But I don’t go out of my way to read just for the sake of it so I am not exactly a “very strong reader” in the way that nerds on the internet use that title to make themselves feel superior as they sip convince store Lipton tea. I would have claimed to fall in this category in the past when I thought I was just so special because I never went outside or spoke to anyone. I don’t think that literature is the most “pure” and “intelligent” of all forms of entertainment like some greasy English major who hasn’t bathed since 2005. I realize that it no more or less valuable to the people who enjoy them than film, television, or games. It is one of many equally important and culturally relevant forms of entertainment. I’m reading a epic sci-fi adventure series called mass effect by Drew Karpyshyn the head writer of the video game series of the same name. It sets up easily one of the most engaging and immersive universes in fiction.

47. David B

I find myself to be a strong reader. I usually read when I have nothing else to do, but I sometimes read for fun. Although reading is one of my strong suits, I mainly like two main types, fiction and current events. Before coming to high school, I liked reading a lot more than I do now. Now, most of the time, Im caught up in reading from textbooks almost every night (like American Pageant) and other novels assigned. The most recent book I read for school, and one that Im currently reading is The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The novel’s about a woman who commits a crime and must wear a scarlet letter A on her chest for everyone to see. People ignore and scold her as she lives her everyday life. To be honest, its one of the most tame books Ive ever read. Some of my favorite reads of all time are The Hobbit, The Hunger Games Trilogy, and the Maze Runner Trilogy. Ive also began reading Divergent, which is pretty entertaining in my opinion.

48. Annie Moore

I am a strong reader. I read regularly, when I finish one book I try to read another immediately. I read mostly historical fiction and realistic fiction. I’ve been reading Sarah Dessen’s That Summer. Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors I consider her books to be Teen Romance under the realistic fiction genre. This book is realistic fiction. It’s about a young girl whose father is getting remarried, and her sister, the always perfect Ashley, is planning a wedding of her own. Haven wishes things could just go back to the way they were. Then an old boyfriend of Ashley’s reenters the picture, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grips with the future. I’ve also been reading The Book Thief . I’m still in the beginning but it seems really good so far. This is my first book by Markus Zusak but it is well written and seems like something I’ll enjoy.

49. Kory Gilbert

I would consider myself as an average reader. Reading novels is not something I usually turn to in my free time, although I enjoy reading most of the books we are assigned in school. Two of my favorite books that I read last trimester for my English class were The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. One of the main reason I enjoyed reading these novels is because of their historical value, and how they have remained so prominent for so many years. Right now I am reading White Fang by Jack London, which is very interesting. This book is mostly in the viewpoint of the main wolf in the novel, and it follows his path to domestication in the presence of humans. I do not read as often as I used to, which is mainly a result of schoolwork and other school related activities. I also really enjoy reading magazine articles on current events. There is an app that came on my phone called Flipboard that has many interesting articles ranging over many subjects. It also recommends magazines based on articles that you have read. My favorite article subjects to read are mostly politically based, as well as science related. I also sometimes read the newspaper and read about local news, but I mostly enjoy reading interesting magazines. One of my favorite magazines to read is popular science, which covers the latest advancements in science and technology.

50. Grant Anger

So as I am sure you know I read a lot of history books. So I consider myself a strong reader. I like to read a lot of different books and would gladly read more it is just that I can’t mange the time with all my other history books. I usually get threw about 14ish books a year and my goal is to finish 28 of my history books that I need to read by the end of the year. I am planning to read a lot more over the summer. I wish I could fit more time to read in the school day. So currently I am reading on how the Scots invented the modern world, wich is amazing. The author, I forget his name, talks about how religion, educatin, law, and the economy shaped the Scottish world. It’s really good if you want to read a history book. I also read a couple history magazines. The nice part about the civil war one I am reading it talks about place to visit of good civil war locations. This issue was about Frederick Maryland which says it is best to go in the fall to see the colors of the trees. Next on my reading list is Winston Churchill memories on WWII wich should be a great read, since he was such a chacreter. I also might look in to some of his other books. One a complete history of English speaking people, wich sounds amazing.