October 23

Blog #103 – What are you willing to go to jail for?

“I became convinced that noncooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation with good. No other person has been more eloquent and passionate in getting this idea across than Henry David Thoreau. As a result of his writings and personal witness, we are the heirs of a legacy of creative protest.” – Martin Luther King, JrAutobiography

* emphasis is mine.

Initially going back to the 5th Century, St. Augustine stated that “an unjust law is no law at all”  giving some theological weight / heft to earthly laws. Henry David Thoreau suggested that we obey our conscience when we decide to obey or disobey a law.  He went to jail during the Mexican War and wrote his famous essay on civil disobedience.  Gandhi used Thoreau as inspiration, and King used Gandhi as an inspiration.  Gandhi and King used religion to inspire and their followers.  Here’s a quote from Dr. King from a sermon in the early days of the Montgomery Bus Boycott:

… I want it to be known that we’re going to work with grim and bold determination to gain justice on the buses in this city. And we are not wrong; we are not wrong in what we are doing.

If we are wrong, the Supreme Court of this nation is wrong.
If we are wrong, the Constitution of the United States is wrong.
If we are wrong, God Almighty is wrong.
If we are wrong, Jesus of Nazareth was merely a utopian dreamer that never came down to Earth.
If we are wrong, justice is a lie, love has no meaning.
My friends, we are determined … to work and fight until justice runs down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

Image result for women's marchBut we can’t necessarily have people going around disobeying laws that they don’t like.  There has to be some standards.  Right?  According to Dr. King, he stated that the difference is:

A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.

He further elaborates on this and states that: “Any law that uplifts human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust.”

Assumption: Since we cannot argue and fight with every law that we think goes against “the harmony of moral law” or disobey laws at whim (for instance, I might think that one day, the speed limit downgrades my personality, therefore I am going to take a principled stand against it by not obeying it), we have to assume that most laws need to be obeyed.

But what are unjust laws today??

1. Abortion?  Or restrictions on abortion?

2. Wars or other military actions?

3. Immigration laws like the one in Arizona or the Muslim Ban?

4. LGBTQ rights? Or restrictions on those rights?

5. Economic stuff like taxes?  Or lack thereof on companies, individuals, etc.?

6. Military draft (don’t worry, we don’t have one)?

7. Environmental damage?  Or lack of environmental laws?

8. Jobs or a lack of jobs?

9. Software and music / movie downloading -piracy?

10. Behavior / actions of an American company (sweatshops, illegally drilling, dumping, etc.)?

11. Police brutality or other injustices directed at people of color?

12. Women’s pay equality and other issues concerning women?

13. ????

Questions to answer:

a. Would you be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights workers had done many times during the 1950s and 60s?  (Consider the ramifications of a felony or misdemeanor on your record, and its impact on your possible future career).

b. After consulting the list above, which laws would you be willing to fight against?  Why? (feel free to add to the list if you see any missing).

c. Do you agree with Dr. King’s reasoning w/ what makes a law just or unjust?  Why or why not?

350 words total for all three questions.  Due Wednesday, October 25 by class. 

Tags: ,

Posted October 23, 2017 by geoffwickersham in category Blogs

66 thoughts on “Blog #103 – What are you willing to go to jail for?

1. Jake Stollman

a. It depends. If I was born in, say, 1945, and a completely different person, I probably would. But it also depends on location. I know that I would have a radically different opinion in the Deep South than in Michigan at that time. If Jake Stollman, in 2017, were transported to the 1960s, I’d probably not take any radical action. I would hold a very intense pro-integration opinion, but I don’t think I’d do anything considered illegal. I frankly am not brave enough and I would not want to ruin my reputation with a misdemeanor or felony, seeing as I’m trying to get into a good college. But who knows, maybe I would become an extremely accurate proponent of the Civil Rights Movement, or maybe not.

b. As an aspiring scientist, I know that I must protect the environment. That is one thing I cannot relinquish. Saddeningly, no matter your stance on “45,” he is killing any hope we have of saving the planet. He withdrew from the Paris accords, he placed a climate change denier at the helm of the EPA, and a similar person as the director of NASA. This is a travesty that cannot be allowed. I think we should stop this injustice. And yes, if I could illegally save the planet, I’d do so in a heartbeat. Our planet is special. It is a pristine blue orb in a vast, velvety night. We needn’t mar it with carbon dioxide and microplastics that kill the diverse range of wildlife we have and cast a grey shade over our tiny world. We must, as Carl Sagan once said, “deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.”
    Another issue I am passionate about is net neutrality, or rather the impending lack of it. Net neutrality is, say, if 60% of a college used Netflix, and 40% used Hulu, Hulu could pay the college more than Netflix and the service provider for the college would actively slow down Netflix’s speeds. This is unacceptable. Luckily, this is not the case… for right now. However, Trump’s new FCC Chairman Ajit Pai claimed that “net neutrality’s days are numbered.” This is incredibly unfair and we need to stop it right now. As someone who frequents the internet, myself and many others would be terribly angered if we suddenly had to pay extra for Netflix because of competitive lobbying. This is unfair and does not benefit the average consumer. I want to fight this injustice if the issue is not resolved soon.

c. I really don’t agree with MLK’s definition of what makes a law just or unjust. That stems from a philosophical belief of mine, that morality is subjective. Therefore any law based around morality has standings that are subjective. Let’s take an issue such as slavery. If we had a country that supported slavery and one that opposed to it, they would contrast sharply with each other, and that’s exactly what happened during the Civil War. Both sides, in part, believed they were fighting for what is right and that the other side was wrong. Thus MLK’s stance of ‘Moral Law’ is ineffective. Even more subjective is the law of God. Your stance on god varies with your secularity, your religion, and your degree of intensity of belief. An Orthodox Jew will likely have drastically different standards than a reform Muslim. I like bacon, but pork is outlawed by Islam. If I eat bacon in a restaurant with a family of Orthodox Muslims, would they slap it out of my hand? It would be right by the standards of their god, but not mine. Religion, like it or not, is subjective. If your parents follow a religion, it’s likely that you’ll follow that religion. Therefore any standards developed by god are irrelevant in creating a law. A law should be the intersection between the populace’s morals, the average, the norm. Not a theocracy or a monarchy, but a democracy.

2. Nicholas Haddad

1. Just as any advocates for civil rights in the 1960s protested in order to make a change in their community, I would also protest if I felt that there was an unjust law or situation in place. The Bill of Rights grants American citizens the right to freely speak, and the right to freely assemble. The only way to inflict change upon something is to speak out, act out, or petition, which all use our first amendment rights. Our government only operates under “the consent of the governed”, so therefore, if we are unhappy with a law, policy, or situation, we have to act in order to allow our government to operate with the people on its side. Otherwise, chaos would erupt in America. However, considering the consequences of arrest today, and the fact that it remains on your record and is available to your employers, I’m sure that many people would rethink their thoughts about protesting. Despite this, I would definitely still protest, even if there was a chance of arrest. If it is something I firmly believe in, I would protest and petition, as I would know that I am part of a larger movement.

2. There are many unjust laws that I would be willing to fight for. I would definitely advocate for women’s rights and equality, as well as LGBTQ rights. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights support the equality of all people, as well as the endowment of American citizens with certain unalienable rights, among others life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Americans spent several decades in the mid-20th century fighting for equality during the Civil Rights movement. Both women and members of the LGBTQ community deserve equal opportunities, equal pay, and equal recognition as people of this country, as they contribute to our society in many unique and noticeable ways. I would also support the fight for environmental legislation in order to better protect our planet. As of right now, the climate of our planet has continually gotten hotter, and if we don’t reduce our carbon footprints and resort to sustainable methods of harvesting electricity, we won’t leave a clean and reliable Earth for the next generation. I also believe that not enough is being done by leaders across the world to lessen this issue, and I would definitely show my support in any way necessary to change the current path of our planet.

3. I agree with Dr. King’s definition of a just law versus an unjust law. I believe that a just law needs to address everyone who will be influenced by it in a way supported by the good scruples of human nature: equality, justice, efficiency, and liberty. An unjust law typically goes against the good scruples of human nature, and is often created by people who are discriminatory and don’t look at everyone with an equal eye. However, I disagree with Dr. King’s statement that a just law has to uplift someone’s personality, because there are people out there who are unjust and disagree with many just laws. Unjust laws typically aren’t supported by everyone; there is always a group of people who sides with it.

3. Neve Robinson

a. For me, I think it depends on the situation if i would protest or not. I would only protest if I thought it was really unjust but also I am just 15 and to have a felony or misdemeanor would really affect my life negatively, I wouldn’t be able to go to the college I wanted, finding a job that I want would be incredibly hard. For example, say right now trump and the government passed a bill saying that women get 5% less money than men in whatever job we do, even though this would be insane and I strongly believe that men and women should get equal pay, I don’t think I would go out to protest if it meant a criminal record. But say I was my mom, who is a housewife and I dont have the fear of not going to college or getting a job. Even though prison would suck, I would definitely protest. Even though it sounds selfish, I would not protest because I have my whole life ahead of me and a criminal record could seriously damage that.

b. I think even though I do strongly believe in global warming, the right to have an abortion if needed, and also equal pay, I don’t think right now I would be willing to go to jail. Like I said I would love to be brave and say I would go to jail for all these causes but I have to much too lose.

c. Yes I kind of get what he is saying but I believe sometimes people in power use their power for the benefit of them and their family. Some politicians do this by pushing bills and laws that don’t help the greater good and general population which to me is just selfish and abuse of their power. For example a reason why the south wanted to keep slavery so much was partly because it was free labor. So the plantation owners pretty much just had incoming cash. This made them rich and some of these people became involved with government, so even though slavery was of course horrific and completely immoral, these people didn’t want to get rid of slaves in the south with the fear of the southern economy, so this was one of the reasons why the southerners tried to push slavery. In hopes of benefiting themselves financially. Even though this is an extreme case of politicians doing something to benefit themselves and not the rest of the population, it is still happening today.

4. Isabelle

Isabelle Borr
    Mr. Wickersham
    AP US History
    23 October 2017
    Blog #3
    1. I am a firm believer in civil rights and the causes that they fought for, but I do not believe that I would risk my future career to have misdemeanor or felony on my record for protesting. Me, Personally, have a very guilty conscious and if I were in that situation I would do other things to help the cause. For example, monetary donations for bail money would be something I would try to donate to. It would help the cause by adding to the donations to bail out protestors from jail so they could go out and make another impact. Another thing while writing this came to mind was how likely it would be I would be arrested in the first place? I probably would, if I lived back then evaluate my risks and see if it was worth it to protest. Accessing my own white privilege, would the police target me or take pity on me versus my fellow black friends? I think it is all situational. Am I in the north or south? Are we in a city or rural area? These are all things that would also be taken into account to see how likely it would be that I would be arrested and if it is low I think I would protest.
    2. A few things I am extremely passionate about are the environment, police brutality, issues pertaining to racism and abortion rights. These four things I would most definitely go out and protest for if I was at mine own free will. I think they are important to the future of our country and the world. Environment and the climate change is literally what we are living on. If we keep destroying it with pollution, how are we going to leave the earth for future generations? It may not be too late to save the earth with policies reducing greenhouse gases. Police Brutality needs to be addressed and stood up to. The police are supposed to protect us, but as we can see they mistrust a lot of the black community. When they shoot another unarmed person and get away with it, it needs to be called out and stopped. Racism should be a no brainy on why I would protest against it. There have been centuries of systematic racism that needs to be stopped. Policies in place like Jerry Mandering prevent the minority vote be heard to elect officials that can help us put an end to it. Abortion rights give way to a larger issue of women’s health rights and to make decisions for ourselves with no outside interference. When male lawmakers make laws preventing abortion for the “baby” they are basically taking away our rights to do a basic medical procedure for our health or wishes. These issues give way to larger issues, but if we start with one maybe more change can happen.
    3. Martin Luther Kind describes a just law that “squares with moral law and law of God”. I believe that it is simpler than that. A just law is a law that benefits the good of all people it is ruling over. For example, the law saying murder is a crime. This may seem like an extreme example, but without it, murder would legal and definitely not benefit the people it is ruling over because you can kill them. That is a just law because it is helping all of the people. The federal law outlawing medical marijuana is not just. There are many people who it does not do good for. Children who have epilepsy do not benefit because the oil from the plant helps soothe their pain of the seizures. Since it is not legal in all states parents have to risk jail to help their children. Those are very different laws but is just is as simple as is it helping or hurting the people.

5. Nia Kepes

Nia Kepes
    10/23/17

a. I would like to say that I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws. If I felt greatly enough about the cause, for example, civil rights laws then I would not worry too much about the consequences. If fighting for what I believed in meant impacting my future career then I think that I shouldn’t be choosing a career that doesn’t support my decision to get arrested for protesting. In conclusion, I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws (in a non-violent way).
    b. There are many causes that I would be willing and would like to fight against. First, abortion or restrictions on abortion because I believe that women’s health, choice, and say about their bodies comes first. I think that there should be a limit on how far along the woman can be but I believe women should have the choice to make about her own body. Second, immigration laws like the one in Arizona or the Muslim Ban because we have no right to ban a certain religious group. Every religious group has an extremist group who is known to follow the same religion. To pretty much ban a specific religion like the Muslims from entering America is like saying that they are all terrorists. In reality, the Muslim people trying to come to America are most likely trying to escape the terrorist groups themselves. Third, LGBTQ rights or restrictions on those rights. There is no reason America should discriminate against people with different sexual orientation. Absolutely no excuses can be made for trying to take away the rights of human beings of any kind. Fourth, environmental damage or lack of environmental laws. I would fight for preventing environmental damage because it is extremely important to preserve the earth for the future generations. Fifth, police brutality or other injustices directed at people of color is a topic I feel strongly about. Brutality and discrimination shown towards a group of people based on their skin color are unacceptable and unconstitutional. Injustices directed at people of color should not be occurring today in our equal right moral based country. Lastly, Women’s pay equality and other issues concerning women are something I feel most connected to as a woman. As I stated before treating any group of people unfairly or giving them a disadvantage is unjustifiable. There is absolutely no reason these days for women not to make just as much money as men seeing that occurrences of single women and single moms on the rise. Women have proven that they are strong, independent and don’t need men to provide and care for them. Women should not have to worry about the man making more money and being the “breadwinner” of the family. Those were just six issues that I would love to fight against.
    c. I somewhat agree with DR. King’s reasonings about what makes laws just or unjust. The only reason I disagree with his reasoning is because he brings g-d into the picture. There are many people who worship different deities. Dr. King should not include g-d in his messages as to keep church and state separate. I do agree however that morals play a role in what laws are just. However, different people have different morals.

6. annie chernow

a) Yes. I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights Movement. In the 60’s, everyday people all over our country were protesting things like segregation, rights, and equality. People were so determined back then to change our community to create equality for everyone and to this day, people are still fighting for rights they believe are still slacking in the United States. Although going to jail means having something on my record saying I was incarcerated or having people know that i was put in jail which could affect my future, I personally wouldn’t care. From my perspective, I won’t think of myself committing a crime or a felony. I would believe that I stuck up and stood up for my rights that I deserve and it will make me feel good knowing I contributed in something that could change the face of America to make it more equal, accepting, and more united as a whole.

b) If there was a law above that I would be willing to fight for, I would fight for women’s rights and equal pay. I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore feminist, but I do believe women deserve equal rights and pay that men get. Without women in this world, half of the accomplishments we have reached in this country would have never happened. With the help of women, we sent the first man to the moon, we nursed and helped soldiers back to health in many wars, create families and many more things that show women deserve an equal spot in our country as well. We work just as hard as men of in our jobs and it is simply not fair we are doing the same thing as them but not getting the same respect and pay that the men do.

c) I personally do not agree with King’s reasoning. I feel that his reasoning isn’t very specific and doesn’t apply to all citizens in the US. I believe that one law could seem perfectly fine to one person but completely out of line for another. Just because that law has two sides, doesn’t mean its unjust automatically. There will always be two sides to everything and that is simply something that occurs all over. Not just in America. Not everything people disagree on will change their personality as a whole creating a whole issue and problem throughout our country. People can peacefully protest and speak up their opinion they have on a law created of that is not longer useful, but it doesn’t change their whole personality in a snap of their fingers.

7. Rachel Shulkin

Blog #103

1) I highly respect people who have the courage and dedication to protest and defend their own, accepting any consequences that they may have to face. Personally, though, there are only a few situations where I would go to lengths to risk a criminal record and fight for a cause that I strongly believe in. Because I have spent years dedicating myself to my work ethic, laying down a foundation on which I can build my future, I feel that having a criminal record because of protest would create a large setback that would almost destroy all of the hard work I have put into my future. Because of this predicament, I also strongly believe that peaceful protesters that do not have any intent of being aggressive with the opposition should be given a pardon on their criminal record. The right to protest is protected by the First Amendment and should not be considered a crime in any means. On the contrary, protesters who become violent are violating their constitutional right to the freedom of speech and should easily expect prosecution for their doings. Even if it is in the name of a cause, violence against other Americans only creates more barriers and justifies stereotypes and are situations I do not foresee putting myself into purposefully.
    2) Although I am very conscious about my future and would not want to put myself into a situation of danger by protest, there are some laws and controversial issues which I have strong opinions about. For example, I will always support abortions and the right to an abortion to every woman, without judgement from her community. This is a decision that concerns only the woman at question and she should be able to make her own decisions regarding her future and family, not the government. Aside from abortion, I also agree with and support environmental laws to protect nature in America. The land that we live on is sacred and we should go to lengths to preserve it just as much as any other place in the world. I believe that politicians often get wrapped up in political and economic issues and sometimes shove the environment under the rug, when it should be a priority. Without efforts to keep our air and water clean, our nation will face many diseases and infections relating to contaminated resources. Lastly, I believe that the federal government should support the success of Native Americans and help the indigenous people of America, as they have been pushed around for centuries by American settlers. It is time for the government to give back to the Natives for the unfair treatments they have received in the past.
    2) I agree with Martin Luther King’s views on protesting against the federal government’s laws. Whatever the government says should not always be accepted as Bible; we have learned in the past that often times, the law stands for values that aren’t morally correct and until a brave person stands up and disagrees with these laws, they remain unjust. We cannot simply take law as our standard; it is key for Americans to take advantage of the democracy we are given, where the people have a right to speak for themselves, even if it contrasts the government.

8. Brenden Kashat

1. If I was born in, say, 1945, and a completely different person, I probably would. But it also depends on location. I know that I would have a radically different opinion in the Deep South than in Michigan at that time. If I, in 2017, were transported to the 1960s, knowing what happens and knowing that they will make a law, I’d fight with the blacks for rights. Another reason is because I, myyself, am a minority. I would hold a very intense pro-integration opinion, but I don’t think I’d do anything considered illegal. I frankly am not brave enough and I would not want to ruin my reputation with a misdemeanor or felony, seeing as I’m trying to get into a good college. But who knows, maybe I would become an extremely accurate proponent of the Civil Rights Movement, or maybe not.

9. Dorian Campillo

a. I would definitely be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like Civil Rights Workers had done many times during the 1950s and 60s. I would do so because it would help many important causes. For example, Civil Rights workers knew the consequences of protesting but they know this was needed for there to be a better and brighter future. Therefore, I would also be willing to fight for certain rights, as it would help millions of others. Also, if you do not agree with something you have to try and change it.
    b. I would be willing to fight against many of these. The first one I would fight against is the restriction of abortion. A woman should be able to do what she wants with her body and on top of that, we do not know her back story of how she got pregnant. For example, she might have gotten raped or the dad left her. I would also be willing to fight against some wars if they are unnecessary. Some wars kill millions of innocent people and measures should be taken to avoid the toll of civilian deaths. I would also be willing to fight against immigration laws and the Muslim Ban. This is because banning some countries from entering the US is basically assuming everyone from those countries are bad people. Also, the immigration laws are too strict and they should be changed. In addition, environmental change is a big issue. If we do not address these issues soon, our planet could be in even more trouble than it is now. In addition, our President seems to thinks it is just a hoax made by the Chinese. I would also be willing to fight for more jobs because there are currently a ton of people that cannot obtain jobs even though they are trying their best to do so. On top of that, I’d also protest against police brutality. There are a ton of articles that talk about how a police officer treated this person or that person terribly. This needs to stop, and the police needs to take drastic measures to ensure that these brutalities stop. They also need to make sure there are no racists in the police force, as we are all equal human beings. Finally, I’d also protest against women’s pay equality. I would protest against this because, as said before, we are all born equal and no person should have a disadvantage because of who they are.
    c. I do agree with Dr. King’s reasoning with what makes a law just or unjust. I agree because there needs to be a point where things are unacceptable, resulting in a law. However, there are also some laws that are unjust, unfair to some people. Because these laws are unjust, they need to be taken down and replaced with more morally fair laws.

10. Joseph DeMarco

I would definitely go to jail for something that I think is unjust, it just depends. I wouldn’t go to jail for committing a crime I think shouldn’t be a crime if I didn’t have a powerful message to people to do the same, or if I didn’t have a powerful message to the people containing me. I would probably commit the crime if it affected me directly, such as a draft, or even taxes, because I don’t believe in taxes, or that they are moral. And if it is something serious that didn’t affect me, such as a war in another country where others rights are violated, I would probably protest the fact that they don’t have any business being there, and I may even be arrested for that. Also I would commit a smaller crime that I think is either too small of a harm that it shouldn’t be a crime, or doesn’t harm anybody at all, such as illegally downloading music, or smoking marijuana, I may do the crime just because I don’t like the fact that it is a crime in the first place, but I’m not saying I do smoke marijuana, because I don’t. I just believe that it is a crime that shouldn’t be one anymore.
    After looking at the list, I would gladly protest any wars that violate the rights of others, foreign and domestically, so that includes the draft (because the draft in my opinion is unconstitutional). I would also fight against economic regulations, because if I were to own a business, I want the government to have no business in my business, no pun intended. I would also fight against crimes that I believe are either too small and too common to be a crime, such as smoking marijuana, because I do believe that marijuana is too small of a harm compared to how big of a deal it is to our government. In general, I would fight anything that I don’t agree with, that is just too big of a deal where it affects too many people, or affects me.
    I do agree with Dr. Kings definition of an unjust law, I agree especially because of one addition and that is where moral laws follow the law of God. In my opinion, government is not here to grant us and prevent us from having certain rights. Government is here to protect our rights, not that they granted us, but what God granted us. If a law passed by government doesn’t follow the law of God, then government is not protecting God’s granted rights, therefore the law is unjust. Everything else I do agree on as well, like when he says that unjust laws don’t follow the moral code. Just because a law is passed, that doesn’t mean that ignoring the law is bad, lawful does not mean right.

11. Rochelle D

a.) I’ve always wanted to be a part of a protest for any good cause, especially the civil rights. Being brave enough to step up and fight for something you believe in, such as the protesters in Birmingham Alabama, takes so much courage and I aspire to have that much courage one day. But here’s the change, the consequences of being arrested at a protest can be very damaging to your job, school, or any other future opportunities. With this is mind, I would protest WITH NON VIOLENCE in a city that is not as corrupt as Birmingham. But if I had no option, and it was something that I was very VERY passionate about, I would be willing to go to jail. If you’re not going to fight for a right, who is? I guess you would just have to hope that you would not get arrested. I would hope that if I got arrested and when finding a job, my employer would be willing to understand what I was fighting for, and that it doesn’t make me a bad person. If I lived in the 1960’s, I would love to be a part of the movement and to fight for a change.

b.) I would fight for most of the things on that list, but most importantly I would fight for LGBTQ rights, Womens equality, and agaisnt police burtality. Fighting for LGBTQ rights is important to me because they are just normal people who prefer a different kind of life!! I feel it’s important to ensure their safety and a happy way of life. If someone really has a problem with it and feels the need to make Gay Marriage illegal, I would protest peacefully because it’s just a way of life, and it’s not disturbing the peace of anyone, and if it is, I hope they can ignore it and move on with their life. LGBTQS are not violent and just want to live their lives just like anybody else and deserve to. Secondly Women’s equality is important to me because women are still underpaid, and go through a lot of troubles. Women work just as hard as a guy, have the same feelings, do the same amount of work and don’t get paid the same amount. BECAUSE OF A GENDER!! This is something that people can’t change (like race) and it frustrates me that it’s still an issue that isn’t fixed.

c.) I agree with Dr. Kings reasoning on what makes a law just or unjust because some laws don’t show or bring out the best in people. I find that some laws are pointless, like the Jim Crow laws. They just separated people and made people especially African Americans angry, degrading the quality of their living. It is unfair that they had to live in those kinds of situations because they didn’t do anything wrong, it’s the white people who caused this issue and then get mad at the blacks. Some laws are placed for safety and to ensure that we can live to the full extent of happiness, and live in harmony with the moral law. If you are unhappy with the speed limit you must not care about your safety, it makes sense why it exists. When it comes to segregation, it doesn’t make sense because it’s how you were born, and doesn’t determine WHO you are.

12. Kyla Hurns

Blog #103- Civil Rights Movement
    I think that I would be willing to go to jail for unjust laws or practices. While I do think protesting in the time period in the 1960s would have less ramifications than protesting now, I do think it is something that I would do. I feel like during that time period eventually majority of America realized the unjust treatment of African Americans was unfair and something that needed to change. Currently in the time period that we live in there is a lot of animosity and many Americans don’t believe that things like racial bias, police brutality or even the stereotypes about black people are things that need to change. This would make protesting now much more difficult because it is very easy to find out about if someone went to jail, which is something very important to many people hiring for jobs. Even though the consequences of doing this might be very bad, I would be willing to go to jail fighting for something I believe in. Change won’t come unless you do something yourself.
    There are many laws that I would be willing to fight for, because there are many things that I feel need to change in America. First, I am willing to fight for less restrictions on abortion laws. By restricting abortion laws it is furthering the idea that men have superiority over women and men have the power to decide what rights women have. I think that no one takes abortion lightly and sometimes that is the only choice that women have. It shouldn’t be up to anyone else besides that women to decide what happens to their own body. Second, I am willing to fight for immigration laws because it is extremely hypocritical for Americans to boast and brag about how great America is but not allow for other people to experience it. A majority of people in America don’t know what it is like to go throught the immigration process and are quick to tell immigrants to follow the process when that could take many years. Every single person in the United States probably came here illegally except for Native Americans, so I think it is ridiculous when people want to say that one person trying to achieve a dream for their family or discover a better life is considered an alien. Third, I am extremely passionate about police brutality and the unjust treatment of people of color. One of the saddest things about police brutality is that it could be a 12 year old boy and to some people if that boy was person of color they would matter less which makes them subject to being shot by the police for carrying a gun. It is horrible that as a child African Americans learn how to act around police officer. It blows my mind that still to this day I am terrified of police officers and being around one makes me want to throw up. I have an intense fear of being shot and just being another name added to the list. The fact that that is a fear constantly on my mind should be something that needs to change because I am not the only person who thinks this. African Americans across the world constantly have to deal with this, watching their family members get shot and nothing happens to the police officer time and time again. I have attended many protests against police brutality and it something that I hope changes before I die, and my kids or grandkids don’t have to worry about this years from now.
    I believe that to a certain extent Martin Luther King’s description of a just law is accurate. But, at the same time we can not rule government or laws just based on moral. Moral is not determined by a test or measure, morality is something based on opinion so you can’t rule based on that. For some people certain things are moral and for others it is immoral there is no way to define what is moral and what is not. Therefore you can not fully rule a government based on that because it would to a lot of different problems and animosity in America. So, I think you cannot fully determine that a law is unjust based on morality there are a lot of other variables that could help determine that in addition to morality.

13. Luke Lee

a. If I were living in that time period then I would most likely not be willing to go to jail if i were to protest. This is because it would greatly affect my career as many people were racist and/ or didn’t fully support civil rights. If my employer saw on my record that I have been jailed, he obviously would think that it would be bad judgement to employ me. Even if he knew what I would have been locked up for, he still might not consider it a valid reason due to his possibly racist mindset. However, if it were now in 2017, I would be willing to despite the risks as we are living in a progressive society willing to change our ways and improve upon ourselves. I’m sure that employers realize this, and support these causes not only for their own good and everyone else’s but also to make their business look good.

b. One of the actions or laws I would be willing to fight against would be wars and other military actions as I feel that some of them are unnecessary. Along with that, I feel that immigration laws should be fought against to as many people from other foreign countries look to go to America to have more opportunity or create a better future for themselves and/or their kids. If immigration laws were to be enforced to the point where it was almost impossible to move to America imagine what it would do to the country. For one thing many foreigners would be struggling still if they were to stay in their native country due to its poverty and lack of greater achievement. Another thing would be that America would lose its culture and soul that many foreigners make up of. Imagine a whole country filled with white people, with no diversity whatsoever. Racism would still exist and a greater understanding of the world would be lost. Do you really want to live in a place like that?

c. While I feel that Dr. King’s view on just and unjust laws has some truth to it, it can’t always be applied. This is because many different things affect many different people, and what might uplift someone’s spirit may reduce someone else’s. If we made laws specifically catering towards only moral needs then it would be a mess. Although at times laws seem cruel or unjust, it’s what keeps us in order. Yet the hardest part about that is whether or not a law is purposeful or cruel, and I think that confusion is what creates these sort of problems today

14. Philip Bradbury

1. Depending on what I would be going to jail for, I probably would go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights workers had done in the 1950s and 60s. I do think that the unjust laws like the Jim Crow laws were especially heinous, but I wouldn’t commit murder for it. I say this because even though Civil Rights was a cause I would have supported with the standpoint I have today, there is a line that marks what too far is and murdering someone most definitely crosses said line. If, during a protest, I was arrested for “disturbing the peace” I would be fine with it. As far as I’m concerned, “disturbing the peace” even at the time was a minor crime that was probably not as bad as even petty theft or shoplifting. I also wouldn’t care if it would be on my record because first of all, if I did end up working for someone who didn’t agree with Civil Rights, I would have quit anyway and, in my opinion, it was for a good cause and it would have showed that I stand for a cause and that I have good beliefs which I think would make someone want to hire me even more. Now, if I was going to be arrested for a much minor cause like animal right, I wouldn’t go to jail. I wouldn’t get behind such a odd and almost pointless cause that would probably never get solved by the government. I totally would for Civil Rights because it had to do with people just like everyone else, who weren’t able to have certain rights, that we take for granted today, just because they looked different than others. To conclude, I would get arrested for disturbing the peace (a common crime back then) to support the Civil Rights movement and I would be almost proud to have it on my record, but when it comes to more serious crimes like murder, I wouldn’t go to jail because that would take the rest of my life pretty much away from me, it would also mean that I couldn’t speak out against racial discrimination to a large audience, and it would also make the Civil Rights movement look bad because if I had hurt or killed someone in the name of the Civil Rights movement, it would make the stereotypes that even the peaceful protesters were bloodthirsty killers in some people’s eyes.

2. The causes I would be willing to fight against would mainly be police brutality, and issues concerning women but I agree with many of these other causes especially things like LGBTQ discrimination. I would be willing to fight police brutality because it’s a serious issue involving race today. I truly believe that some people (mainly anyone who isn’t white) doesn’t get as much of a benefit of the doubt today as white people do. If I were a police officer, I would take the right of being “innocent until proven guilty” to heart every time i stopped or talked to anyone. I hate seeing when police officers abuse their power and possibly even shoot and kill and innocent person who is usually a person of color. Instead of shooting preemptively shooting someone because they seem suspicious, why not just increase the protection of police officers to prevent or nullify the extent of injuries that they MIGHT get IF they were shot. This would definitely give the officers no reason to shoot someone who was innocent and if they did then they should be sentenced to jail for murder. No exceptions. If our country did this, most of the problems when it comes to police brutality or racial discrimination when it comes to law enforcement SHOULD go down by a substantial amount. I would also fight for major issues concerning women. Just like how I said that I would fight for Civil Rights because it was discrimination against a race, I would speak out against major issues concerning women. I think that everyone should be treated as equals in every way, but there still is some discrimination here and there nowadays. And when I say I would fight for MAJOR issues against women’s rights I mean things like domestic abuse and sexual assault and trying to prevent that because not only are those extremely traumatizing to women, but they could give a bad rep for some guys (I am not saying this because I really care about it, I am just using it as another point). It disgusts me to hear about men on the news or in sports being arrested or suspended for domestic or sexual abuse. It takes a very sick person to do either of those and I can’t even imagine what it took to make them that way. Although I would fight for those, I don’t think I would go out and protest things like workplace equity because I don’t think that women are discriminated that much in the workplace as it is made out to seem. I do think that there is a wage gap, but look at how many successful women there are in our society today. Look at Oprah, Mary Bera, and Diane Hendricks who have the net worth of ridiculous amounts of money today. So, I would totally fight for issues concerning women when it comes to things like domestic and sexual abuse, but maybe not as much when it comes to workplace equality. I also would fight against police brutality because most of the problems concerning police discrimination and brutality could be fixed or lessened in just a few years with some serious effort from the government.
    3. I do agree with Dr King’s reasoning of what makes a law just or unjust. I agree because if a law tampers with someone’s personality or gets in the way shouldn’t be ok. Again, bringing up the Jim Crow laws which enforced segregation in the south is the best example of unjust laws. I say this because laws that state that someone can do something like eating at a restaurant or go to a certain bathroom is not only just stupid, but it’s not fair to those people. A common saying that I’m pretty sure everyone learns as a kid is “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” I agree with this statement because you can’t just assume what someone acts like just by looking at them, you have to get to know them if you really did want to judge them (which is still rude). The Jim Crow laws pretty much enforced the belief of “judging a book by it’s cover” and it ruined not only opportunities for African-Americans in the south but it ruined their lives. If these laws hadn’t been in place and segregation hadn’t existed, then people of all races in the whole history of the US would have had a much better life. Now even though you can argue that all laws tamper with your and/or somebody else’s personality, but they don’t affect you or them anywhere near as much as the Jim Crow laws affected people of color in the south and I can guarantee that if anyone shared the same experiences as African-Americans experienced in the south during the ‘50s and ‘60s, they would be so much more for the freedom, equality, and opportunity that they have today. I really don’t think that there are many unjust laws today because most are just there to protect people, but the Jim Crow laws were just stupid and pointless and I hate that people were able to discriminate a group of people just because of how they looked.

15. Jake Flaherty

1. Yeah! I’d go to jail to protest stuff like that. HOWEVER: I wouldn’t just do it out of nowhere. I have a few “requirements”. For example, if there’s a group protesting about how climate change isn’t a myth, you know, okay, and even though our president disagrees, it’s kind of common knowledge, or it’s becoming so. I really need to feel that this problem isn’t being fixed, but I think it is. You have organizations coming together, documentaries being made, and I don’t feel that this problem needs a push of it being real, as I think the right people know that it’s present. I also truly need to believe in the cause, like, you know, if some people don’t think it’s real, so what? But if it’s a protest to stop climate change and a car factory is still making obnoxiously high pollution, yeah, I might get up. If something is really important, like female rights and what not. I also really have to believe in what I’m doing, if I’m protesting the rights of prison guards who don’t get enough attention, I mean, I respect that, but I’m not going to jail for that! But if Congress says, “Hey, rape is okay!” I’d give my life! I would do it if it’s extremely important, like that, to the point where a felony / misdemeanor means nothing. And I’d also do it for Civil Rights.

2. I’d fight for wars if I was informed and something was apparently wrong, immigration, LGBTQ, female rights, behavior of American companies (if it’s serious), injustices directed at people of color (and others…) Police brutality, I would protest if a police who was brutal wasn’t convicted, or if there’s something we can do to reduce police brutality, but not in general. I’m not hurting the police who actually do their best, and in reality, at this point, only a small minority of police are racists, and they’re setting a bad mark for police.

3. Nahhhhh… I don’t like what King said. He said “Law of God.” Doesn’t the bible say, like you said, that the women should obey? You’re bringing religion into this, and now people can twist and turn the meaning of just and unjust, and now people can justify things that shouldn’t be justified. And this also excludes atheism, and regardless of what he thought atheists are now more likely to disagree with his statement. The law should be fair to the whole (not the majority, if 51% of our nation benefits and 49% don’t, that’s not good). It should be fair! (Like, if the government passes a law so they’re able to kill anyone they want, that’s not fair to the citizens) And that should be open to interpret for anyone! AND, it should also lead to the productivity / wellness of our nation. If it doesn’t do both of those, unjust?

16. David Mueller

The protests of the Civil RIghts Movement are probably the most important and courageous protests ever. They stood up against the greatest injustices in America since slavery. Their courage truly lies in their acceptance that they were going to be ridiculed, beaten and imprisoned. Going to jail is something I have never wanted to do, and I believe that is true for a great majority of people. However sometimes the only way to make things change is to do something that will get you arrested. This was somethings those protesters understood and lived by. For me going to jail is an extreme, something that I would do if deemed absolutely necessary and effective, in an extreme case I would be willing to go to jail. I do not see much around me that is so tragic and terrible that I am so passionate that I would get myself arrested for it.
    I am willing to fight for LGBTQ rights, for women’s rights and gender equality, police brutality and racial injustice, and against the Muslim ban. Throughout these topics is a common theme, treating people unjustly solely for something they have no control over, and/or something that is indifferent. By indifferent I mean that by being a certain thing it does not affect your humanity. LGBTQ, gender and racial injustice all are intolerances based on something these people cannot control. You are not less of a person for being LGBTQ or being a woman or having skin that is not white. The suggested transgender ban by President Trump was unjust. Trump wanted to deny the right to voluntary risk your life for their country simply because they were transgender. Trump’s actions were highly illogical and discriminatory over something uncontrollable. Religion is indifferent you are not any more or less a person because of your faith, especially one that preaches love like Islam. Extremes cannot be used to generalize a whole. There are radical Christians, yet all Christians are not labelled as terrorists; the alt right does not make all conservatives racists and the far left does not make all liberals radical feminists. The ban comes from a fear that all Muslims are radical or could easily become radical, by generalizing people using the extremes. When people are willing to harass or do worse to someone because of an indifferent part of who they are I am willing to stand up. I am neither LGBTQ, a woman, or a racial minority or Muslim. I want to be the person who stands up next to those who get shoved down.
    Martin Luther King Jr. defined an unjust law as “any law that degrades the human personality.” Any law that makes someone less than human. King is absolutely correct, as soon as a law makes someone less, or robs them of opportunity that should belong to anyone that law is immediately unjust. People must be treated as people. However injustice can occur in some other situations. Like the inability to punish someone as would seem necessary for their crime as determined by law. However Kings definition covers the vast majority of unjust laws.

17. Henry Berthel

In order for me to be willing to go to jail for protesting something, it would have to be something I am really against. There are many things I would help protest. I would be willing to go to jail to protest the police brutality and other injustices against people of color. Even though there could be lots of consequences for protesting that, it is something that can not be overlooked. If I was sent to jail for protesting, it would raise awareness for all the people I know. Being sent to jail would make my life much more difficult, but the colored people who have to worry for their life if a policeman stops them for speeding or another minor crime also can have difficult lives.

I would fight against a lot of these laws. Many of them give certain groups of people big disadvantages in life, while some of them cause damage to different things, which isn’t necessary. The laws and restrictions that give certain groups of people disadvantages that I would protest against include: restrictions on abortion, immigration laws, restriction on LGBTQ rights, injustices directed at people of color, and women’s pay. All of these laws and restrictions were created and happen because one group of people think they’re more dominant than another group. At this point in time, with all different types of people being successful, it should be clear that no race is dominant over any other. The people who can change these laws and restrictions need to realize that the people who are protesting against something are just as human as them, and if they saw stuff from the other groups perspective, their opinion would change. I also would protest against some of the laws that cause damage to things, which isn’t necessary. Whether it is destroying human lives through wars, or destroying the environment or illegally drilling or dumping, it is not necessary and could be stopped if the people involved in it chose to stop. With wars, it would be extremely difficult and nearly impossible to just decide to end it without one side losing a lot. However, the war could be avoided through negotiation, which makes protests against wars important.

I agree with Dr. King’s reasoning for what makes a law unjust or not. If a law is created so it can give the lawmakers or a certain group some sort of advantage over another group, it is unjust. If you hate somebody because of something they did to you, it does not mean they are any less of a person than you are. If a law is made because the people who helped create the law hates a certain group of people, whether there is a reason or not, it should not be passed. The only laws that should be passed are the one’s that support the idea of everyone being free people, but keep people safe. Laws should never affect society in an overall negative way, so I agree with Dr. King’s reasoning.

18. Ugo Uchendu

I would like to think that I would be brave enough and passionate enough to go to jail protesting unjust laws like the CIvil RIghts workers had done during the 1950s and 60s. Though when I consider how tough life in prison really is, and how it affects one’s ability to get a job once they are released, I don’t know that I would be able to survive more than three weeks in jail. And since there is no way of knowing how long I would be kept in jail before having already committed the crime my answer is no, I would not be willing to go to jail.

I would be willing to fight against laws restricting abortion, and police brutality or other injustices directed at people of color. I strongly believe that the government should not have the right to tell women what to do with their bodies. There are many reasons a woman may want to have an abortion, not just the quote on quote selfish reasons that often come to mind when abortion is mentioned. I’ll use my mother as an example. While she was pregnant with me plenty of doctors told her that giving birth to me would most likely kill her, and that abortion was the best choice. She already had four healthy children, why risk it all for one more? Anyways, my point is that for many women having an abortion, or not, is a matter of life and death. The second law that I would be willing to fight against would be any type of law condoning police brutality or injustices directed at people of color. Seeing as I am a person of color, I can attest that racism does still exist. So if there’s anything I can do to make it go away, even a little bit, I will do it.

I do agree with Dr.King’s definition of just and unjust laws because I’m Christian, so any law that squares with the law of God is fine in my eyes. Though somebody of another religion may not be able to say the same.

19. Dominic G.

A. When asked whether I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights workers did, my immediate answer is no. Do not get me wrong, my answer does not mean I think that the cause is not worth fighting for. It is simply me being a wimp. It is not uncommon for me to back out of things because I’m scared, especially when the consequences are as severe as a felony on my record. My response also does not mean that I am against the cause (whether it be good or bad). I have a very shy personality, and even if I might feel strongly against something, it is unlikely that I will stand up and speak out against it. However, I have also considered whether I would be willing to be arrested in the 1960’s. Back then, the movement to end segregation was very strong. It is hard to say whether I would have been persuaded by the public to join the protesting. Also, nowadays we might have people protesting unjust things. But there is nothing today that is as awful as segregation and Jim Crow laws. Unless something that big happens in our country, I will most likely be standing on the sidelines for all the protesting.

B. Out of the 12 topics listed above, I would most likely be willing to fight against a lack of police brutality laws and a lack of environmental laws. I think that even today, police brutality is still a major issue (whether it is against people of color or not) Too many police are shooting African Americans simply because they THINK that the person is going to cause trouble. There should be more penalties for policemen who use are not responsible with their weapons, and who take advantage of their power. I would also fight against a lack of environmental laws. Today, our Earth is more polluted than ever. I think something needs to be done about the companies that illegally dump waste into rivers or who emit huge amounts of greenhouse gases. There needs to be heavy fines placed on such companies. If I ever have kids, I would want them to live in a world free of violence, a world with clean air to breath. Which is why I would fight for these things.

C. Personally, I agree with Kings reasoning about “just” or “unjust” laws. I believe that all laws should live up to a certain moral standard. But I also think that this whole subject is subjective. One law could be “just” to one person but “unjust” to the next. But despite this, I still think that King has good reasoning. However, I would probably state it differently. I would say that an unjust law is one that only benefits a small amount of people, and that is based off of putting others down or discriminating against them.

20. Megan Zacharias

a. If there was an unjust law that directly impacted my life, I would be willing to go to jail to protest for what I believe in. Overall, I would feel worse if I didn’t do anything to fight for the rights for myself and for those who can’t speak for themselves. Although the deficits of going to jail are disastrous, it would be worth knowing that I had impacted and maybe even improved an issue. My life after jail would be considerably harder knowing that I would probably not be able to get a decent job. This would be something I would have a hard time coming to terms with. However, if there is an unjust law that impacts me personally, getting that fixed is a higher priority than having a decent career. It is easy to say that I would go to jail to fight for what I believe in. In that situation, I don’t know what I would do. But, in the end, I hope that I would make the decision that I know is the right thing to do.

b. Although I believe most of the issues listed should be addressed, I would fight for the right to have an abortion, generous immigration laws, LGBTQ justices, environmental issues, police brutality, and women’s rights. I would fight for these issues specifically because I feel that they are very present problems. They are things that should have been resolved a while ago, and it is sad to see how they still affect people negatively. Everyone should be treated equally no matter their gender, race, or sexuality. If this was happening right now, LGBTQ and women’s rights, and police brutality would not be issues. It is also hypocritical that the U.S. has laws against immigrants when America was founded on immigrants. As for environmental issues, I feel that it needs to be addressed and thought about more frequently. We can’t have a future if we already destroyed the planet. And finally, women should be able to have an abortion because it’s their body and they should be able to do whatever they want with it. I have strong opinions on all of these issues therefore I would be willing to fight for them.

c. I agree with Dr. King’s explanation of an unjust and just law. He says that and unjust law dishonors a person and a just law elevates one. I believe that this statement is accurate because of the laws that I find unmerited. Laws against someone based on race, gender, and sexuality. These are based on something that someone cannot control. This belittles someone, and is degrading. This goes against equal rights. Because of this, I feel that MLK’s definition is accurate.

21. Cole Sutton

a. I believe that I would help protest; I probably would not be a vocal leader on in charge of anything. I would fight for what’s right but I would leave the main work to the people who were fighting for it. Also I understand the ramifications and that’s why I wouldn’t be a leader in that community, but I would protest and March for what is right for the wellness of people. If I got a mark on my record or it was already damaged I would become more involved and become a vocal leader and push to pursue civil rights more than ever. I would participate in all speeches and become an avid member in the community.
    b. A right I would fight for is woman’s equality in pay and jobs, especially after seeing the movie the battle of the sexes. I have realized that women work just as hard as their male co-workers and get payed less, especially in a certain scene when Billy Jean-King asks Jack Kramer why the men are paid more and has a lack of words when creating a response, because there is no reason for women to get payed less. Also I believe it is ignorant for a business owner to hire a man over a woman just because the person is male, what’s wrong with hiring a female for that job if they have the same resume or if she has a better one, and in most cases if they are both hired the male is usually payed a greater amount than the female just because of their biological gender. I would fight strongly for this right because it is downright bogus on a pay differential because of a gender.
    c. Yes, I can agree with Dr. King’s definition of an unjust law and Just law. I agree with Dr. King because I too believe that an unjust law is out of harmony because it disturbs the peace, by causing riots and protest just to become equal again. A just law goes unnoticed/is seen as a benefit to the community, there are neither protest nor riots. The law fits perfectly and doesn’t cause a commotion so it’s natural, like God’s law.

22. Andrew Scivoletti

a.) I don’t really know if I would be willing to go to jail for Civil Rights though that is a very important cause and has seriously affected our world and government I don’t think that I could sacrifice my future as an American student just, so I could have a chance at changing laws because I don’t like them. So, no I would not go to jail for protesting laws that I don’t like because something like that doesn’t just go away you can’t just say it was because you didn’t share the same point of view as the government that’s like stealing something and then explaining it by saying you didn’t agree with the price the store gave the item. So, no I wouldn’t go to jail to protest unjust laws because of the affect that it would have on the rest of my life and how it would prevent me from pursuing a good carrier because of my “criminal” record.
    b.) I think that one of the unjust laws that I would be willing to fight for would be Software and music / movie downloading -piracy? The concepts very important to me as an individual and I do think that the government and potentially even some large businesses are spying on us through means of our computers and things such as search histories and using them to better tailor things like pop up adds to us and I think that is a major invasion of privacy and I would love to see some restrictions on the governments monitoring of our computers. Also, on the subject of adds as I kind of said earlier adds kind of invade our privacy because whenever you use a site like Facebook it looks sat what you’re doing and records it and then precedes to actually change the kind of adds that are displayed on your screen because they believe you are more likely to buy those based on your history which I think is kind of creepy and diffidently an invasion of privacy in my opinion.

c.) In Dr. Kings quote “A just law is a manmade code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. “I do think I agree with Dr. Kings statement here but there are some aspects that I don’t like how he brings religion into the law making proses and I know that he was most likely using this phrase to that symbolize just laws are like what God himself would want us to do but I still am a firm believer in the separation of church and state. But besides that, I completely agree with Kings statement about what makes a law unjust or just.

23. Diego Roell

1.- The 1950s and ‘60s were a time for great societal change. The Civil Rights Movement was in full swing, and racial tensions were on the rise. This issue wouldn’t simply fade away; regardless of how it would end, it would be life-changing and explosive. Protesters were jailed for peacefully clamoring for their rights, and violent and regressive racists were unpunished. I would absolutely join the protesters. It is not a simple matter of opinion, or a disagreement in ideology that is negligible. There is no relativism or midpoints in this issue. It was a matter of whether a person’s rights were truly guaranteed, or if it was all for show. I am not black, but I am Mexican. Many parallels between the plights of black citizens and Mexican of the time exist. Mexican-American people had their own “civil rights movement” of sorts with the Chicano Movement, which sought to eliminate discrimination and stereotypes against Mexicans and other latino people. I fully empathize with the people fighting for their rights, even if in this day and age I have not experienced the injustices they faced. A misdemeanor or a felony charge on my record would not matter to me; I would much rather live with a stain on my record than an oppressive society that curtails my freedom or the freedom of others..

2.- Every country on Earth faces issues. There will always be some person or some group of people who oppose a certain law or policy regardless of how widely it is accepted by other citizens. There are many things in America that need to be fixed or at least worked on. I am not a political genius nor have I spent enough time alive to fully understand every issue faced by a country as complex and diverse as America, but I do hold opinions and preferences on many subjects. I would be willing to fight for or against many laws. Among these, I feel very strongly about voting reform and criminal reform.
        I have always been fascinated by voting processes and the way elections occur. That is also the reason why I absolutely despise the American voting system. The very basis for elections in most of America is the First Past the Post system, or Winner-Takes-All. Under this system, whatever candidate wins the most votes wins the election. The problem with this method is that it leads to a terrible spiral of negative consequences. Only candidates from popular parties have a shot at winning an election, making people have to compromise with how they vote. People are forced to sacrifice some of their values to back a candidate which they don’t like, but rather hate the least and has the most appeal to the general population. This leads to voter apathy, as some will claim that they don’t like any candidate and refuse to compromise on their values. That’s why approval rates for Congress perpetually hover at ~20%. A bicameral parliamentary-style Congress would be much better suited for a nation as diverse in opinions as America, allowing smaller parties to grow and see representation in politics. Using systems such as Single Transferable Vote would allow people to rank candidates, leading to representatives who a large majority of people will see favorably or at least not negatively. This counteracts a major drawback of the current two-party system: in politically divided regions where both the Democrats and Republicans hold similar amounts of support, whoever gets elected is practically guaranteed to be disliked by roughly half of the population, and a large amount of the population is unrepresented. I also greatly dislike the Electoral College system utilized for Presidential elections. Many people claim that giving votes to states in accordance to population but guaranteeing that each state gets at least 3 regardless of their actual population is terribly unfair, but I can see why others think it’s necessary. Smaller states and their needs could simply be ignored and deemed “too small to care about” if it were otherwise. What I would certainly campaign for is for Electoral votes to not be Winner-Take-All, but rather given out proportionally. In states like solidly-Republican Texas, Donald J. Trump won 52.23% of the vote and Hillary R. Clinton won 43.24%, yet Trump got all of Texas’s 38 electoral votes (36, technically, since two electors defected and voted for other people). The same goes for heavily-Democrat California, where Clinton won 61.73% and Trump 31.62%, yet all of California’s 55 electoral votes were given to Clinton. If votes were given proportionally, every voter would be represented more accurately.
        Criminal reform is also a topic I feel strongly about, mostly in the way the prison system works. Laws should aim to protect people, and low-security prisons should aim to rehabilitate criminals and reintroduce them to society. Having stolen baby formula to feed your children should not land you in prison for such a long time that your life is irreparably damaged. Being a victim of drug addiction should not make you be locked up and publicly maligned for something that you cannot fight on your own. This relates directly with a topic that I despise: the War on Drugs. Ever since it was declared by Nixon that drugs were public enemy no. 1, drug-related crime has increased. It has not only affected America, but also affected neighboring nations. When the government cracked down on domestic illegal drug producers, this led to the increase in small scale operations (meth labs and the like). These were more dangerous, posing great health risks to all people living near these small-scale operations. When the government cracked down further, it left a power vacuum. Supply and demand, the simplest concept in economics, was soundly ignored. The amount of people addicted remained the same, but demand went up as supply went down. So Mexican drug cartels filled the power vacuum. Ever since, drug violence has increased dramatically, and thousands of people have died in a war that cannot be won. The cartels aren’t a country whose territory can be occupied and then forced to surrender. They are an industry, and can simply find new ways to operate if some method is deemed too difficult. The government should refocus its drug policy and instead of destroying supply, destroy demand. Help people leave their addictions and get stable employment. Help them get housing and support. Educate people on drugs and put emphasis on how drug addicts are victims, and do not deserve to be treated as less than humans. Drug addicts who are given support and positively encouraged to get better do not relapse as often as people who were locked away in a cell and told daily that they are terrible people.

3.- I do not agree with Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.’s definition of a just law. MLK Jr. believed that law should be based on morality and God’s word. These two reasons are exactly why I disagree with his definition. There are hundreds of religions in this Earth, and basing laws off of religious doctrine or scripture is bound to cause trouble as it would conflict with some people’s own religion. To claim one religion’s teachings are more valid than any others and should therefore be obeyed by everyone is the very essence of religious intolerance, a practice that is explicitly prohibited in our constitution. Some people do not even believe in religion at all. What is to be done about them? If law is based on religious code, and these people do not have such thing, could the law even be said to be legitimate? Even the argument on morality is not sound, as it is a universal truth that there is no absolute moral compass that everyone will agree with. People hold differing views on what is correct and what is not for many reasons, and their views can change over time through experiences and learning. Some people believe that drinking alcohol is perfectly acceptable. Some people believe it is sinful and should not be allowed. Some people believe LGBTQ+ people deserve rights that protect them. Other believe being LGBTQ+ is immoral and will land you in hell after you die. People’s moral compass can differ greatly on all sorts of matters, even if they are as small as whether a certain drink is okay to as large as whether people deserve rights. Morality is relative, after all. What is moral changes over time as well. In the second century A.D., people though it was perfectly reasonable to have slaves. In the twentieth century A.D., slavery is regarded as impossible to defend and as a dark moment in human history. Therefore, two things are now established: morality is relative to the person, and morality is relative to the time. It could be reasoned that laws should be loosely based on perceived morality of the lawmakers, if at all. Laws, I believe, should be based on two principles: does a sufficiently large percent of the population support it? and would the law cause harm to the Earth or any of its inhabitants, including fellow humans? Progress cannot be forced onto people, as it will cause reactionary forces to rise in opposition. Going back in time and forcing the ancient Greek city-states to abolish the practice of slavery, or going to Medieval Europe and forcing them to accept democracy and the separation of church and state would be so jarring and incompatible with the culture and opinions of the time and place that it would likely cause more harm than good. Therefore, laws should be a democracy: do the people want it and does it improve the lives of the people? If yes, then proceed. Of course, not all laws are the same, and surely someone will be able to come up with a scenario in which my own claims would make me look like a fool. So laws should also be judged on a case-by-case basis, as generalizations can cause more harm than good if used incorrectly. Ultimately, this is only my opinion. My own moral compass is what I used to explain my stance, and therefore it is relative. Some other person will disagree with me, but that is perfectly fine. As the quote often attributed to Voltaire goes, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Holding the opinion of everyone to be equal in value and granting everyone the rights to have a say in how a country is run is the very basis of democracy, and therefore laws should be both an exercise in democracy and a product of democracy.

24. Maya Wolock

I believe that protesting is a democratic right, and I have been involved in protests before. I think that I would participate in this protest; even though people were being arrested without reason, ruining their chances to ever get a decent job. The reason I was able to participate in protests recently is because they were peaceful and we had protection by police. Back then, it was quite the opposite. The police were the aggressors, for they were the ones turning these protests violent with tear gas, dogs, hoses, billie clubs, and more. I truly believe that the risks were worth it. My grandfather, Allen Zemmol, helped register black voters during the Freedom Summer. He has told me that the risks were worth it in every respect, because he helped many people. He was the best person I have ever met, and he was the most moral person I know. I also believe that if an employer would not hire me because I fought to help the Civil Rights, I might not want to work for them.
    I would be willing to protest for many reasons on the list. It must be said that I would only participate if these were peaceful and well-organized protests. I have protested the Muslim Ban, and it was one of the most meaningful experiences in my life. My entire family participated in the Women’s March (which I was unable to attend due to prior engagements). My sister-in-law led two buses from New York to the march in Washington D.C., and her business was the meeting point for many of the march organizers. Clearly, my family and I are not afraid to protest and are very politically active. I am willing to protest against the restrictions on abortion, because the government should not be involved in such a personal decision. I would be willing to protest a war if I believe that it was unjust. I would fight for LGBTQIA rights, because I believe that they are human rights. I wanted to participate in the March for Science and would if they had another one. I would also protest actions of companies if they treated their workers unfairly or hurt the environment.
    I agree with Martin Luther King’s interpretation of a just law, however I believe it is too vague. An anti-LGBTQIA individual could use this interpretation to condemn members of this community based off the idea that God does not approve of gay people. I think that there is a better way of wording what Dr. King said, one that does not include God.

25. Sathvik

1. It would depend on the situation whether I’m willing to protest. I would be willing to protest if the laws were extremely unjust and were negatively affecting a good amount of my countries population. But, I would not be willing to protest if there is a high chance of me getting arrested which could negatively affect my future. For example, I would be willing to go to jail protesting against unjust laws like in the civil rights movement, because the laws I would be protesting against are discriminative or negatively affect society.

2. There are many unjust laws that I would be willing to fight against, such as environmental damage/climate change and immigration laws. As we all know, President Trump has shown his stance on the climate issue. Trump has withdrawn from the Paris accords and is trying to roll-back most of Obama’s policies on the climate change problem. Obamas policies were trying to curb climate change and limit environmental pollution. It is our jobs as habitats of this beautiful planet to protect and care for it the best we can, the actions trump has made towards this issue has not done either of those things.
    It is wrong to ban people from entering this country based on their race or religion. You ban an entire group of people just because of there religion, is wrong and unjust. Us as people have no right to ban a group of people from entering this country just because of a false stereotype or some people seeing them as a “threat”.

3. I do not personally agree with Dr. King’s definition because it can be interpreted in many different ways and it also doesn’t apply to all United States citizens. The definition of this law can be interpreted many different ways because one person can say this rule downgrades my personality so I don’t have to follow it. It is interpreted in different ways means it doesn’t apply to every American.

26. Jackson Gugni

1.) Although I believe what the people protesting in the 1950s and 60s was justified and a needed thing to do, I would not be willing to go to jail for protesting things such as this. Part of the reason I wouldn’t is because I don’t have extremely serious feelings on any problems going on in the world today. This may be because I am privileged enough to live in an amazing community and face no real problems socially. The second reason I would not be willing to is because I am not willing to go to jail for anything. As selfish as this sounds, I care too much about my future and this would put a huge damper on my background for possible job opportunities.
    2.) As I said in the first question I’m not willing to fight for any law to the point where I get arrested but if I had to pick one law it would probably be abortion. This is one of the most controversial topics in the American society. My stance on abortion is a little complicated. I do believe that the women should have the right of choice but not to an extreme extent. I think it should be used in terms of emergencies and not as a use of birth control. For example, if say a young teenager gets pregnant and it was a complete fluke, I think that the women should be able to choose because having that child might ruin the young girl’s life. On the other hand, if a man and a woman are being blatantly irresponsible and having unprotected sex and know they can’t raise a child, I don’t think abortion should be some sort of plan B. I would definitely want to fight for this and feel strongly about it.
    3.) I do agree with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. because what he is saying makes perfect sense. Laws should not be made from moral law. The laws that should be made should be morally correct. Although there are some exceptions. A law like J walking isn’t necessarily a law of God, but it isn’t a non-moral law, it’s just a law that needs to be applied to the community.

27. Kevin Gruich

a. I would be willing to go to jail under the banner of protest for unjust laws. Though many variables play into it. The biggest variable is whether or not it is filmed, as this is what makes it truly matter. You can see this with the civil rights movement and how MLK uses the media to show the horrors to the public. If people are able to see the people that are sacrificing themselves for their ideals and for the betterment of society, they might change their minds on a law. I feel as though the short-term ramifications and long-term effects do not trump the need to act for your country.
    b. I would fight against unjust laws like military actions, abortion, and lobbying. Military actions as most of our military actions post-Cold War have served no purpose but Security Theater. Wars pushed just to protect private sector interests like oil in the Middle East are just an expense to the American People. The current military budget is massively overinflated, while we don’t need a surplus like Eisenhower, having a balance budget paying off our debt would help future generations. Abortion is an issue that I believe the government should have nothing to do with. While you could use similar ideas behind legalizing all drugs, many drugs are inherently harmful and hurt society as a whole. Abortion does nothing of the sort, neither the economy nor society will suddenly fall apart. Lobbying is just a purely dishonest practice. Lobbying has put America into some of its worst moments. This includes, not publicly going against smoking and the cancer it causes for a long time, and the extreme resilience of having almost no restrictions on firearms or on the people who buy them.
    c. I do disagree with Dr. King’s reasoning on unjust laws. I believe that religion and god has nothing to do with government, we have separation of church and state for a reason. A just law is a law that helps the populace as a whole, not the government, not the companies pushing the government, the American people. An unjust law is one that directly goes against the well-being of the people.

28. Will D

Will Drake
    10/24/17
    Blog 103
        Personally, I would not like to go to jail. Part of it is the fact that I do enjoy the freedom that I live with everyday, and at this young of an age it could ruin me getting a future job I might want. Going to jail can ruin my opportunity at getting a job I’d like in the future, especially if it is a felony. Another part, is that in 2017, I do not believe the United States has any laws I disagree with enough to risk my freedom for. If we went back 50 to 60 years, this might, and probably would change for me. But in today’s world, the laws of our country are ones I can peacefully live with, and are not a big enough issue that I would protest against.
        If I were to protest on certain issues, I would most likely protest against restrictions on LGBT rights and laws for abortion. Until 2015, same-sex marriage was illegal in certain states, and it took a Supreme Court ruling to legalize same-sex marriage. I believe that everyone deserves equal rights, no matter what race, or sexual orientation they might have. In the recent years, members of the LGBT community have overcome great opposition and earned equal rights not only in marriage, but also in the workplace. With these new rulings, people formerly viewed as “different” now have the same rights as the people viewed as “normal.” I am not the person to go to an LGBT parade, but I do believe every man, woman, and child deserves to be equal to everyone else. Next, if I had to, I would protest abortion. I know and understand the view of the pro-choice side, and I have respect for both sides’ opinions. But personally, I cannot support the killing of unborn humans. According to PlannedParenthood, in a single year they may help to prevent up to 560,000 unintended pregnancies. I do understand that these are unintended, but I also believe not allowing a would-be child (wait 9 months) a chance at life is despicable. According to rlt.org, in Michigan there were 26,395 abortions in 2016. The way I look at it, that is 26,395 people who were never given a chance at life. I do agree though, that if a case of rape or incest comes into the mix, that the would-be mother has all the right to abort the child. If I ever feel down, and feel as though I have nothing to be thankful for, I can at least know my mother loved her child (me) enough that even when I was unborn, she wanted to give me a chance to see the world we live in. Something I can never be thankful enough for.
        I do agree with Dr. King that just laws are those which side with the moral law, and an unjust law is one that is out of sync with the moral law. Laws making murder, robbing a bank, etc. illegal all side with the moral law. This meaning that people naturally know these things are wrong, and should never be done. An unjust law would be a law that goes against moral obligation; goes against principles of right and wrong. While many laws may be debated as unjust in present day, an example of one that is debated is the sentencing of those who use, or grow marijuana in Michigan. For example, you can be sentenced to 7 years in prison for growing 20-200 of the plants and for selling anywhere from 5-45 kg of the plant (http://norml.org/laws/item/michigan-penalties-2).

29. Katie Lucken

A. I would probably not be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights workers had done many times during the 1950s and 60s, at this point in my life. This is because the ramifications of a felony or misdemeanor on my record are too major for my future, especially with a lot of my academic career, and my entire professional career ahead of me. Secondly, I am a very non confrontational person, and in some cases this is a fault, and some it is a strength, but nonetheless it prevents me from having the desire to confront people about most things.

B. Laws I would be willing to fight against are environmental laws, issues concerning women and their rights, and behaviors or actions of American companies. I would fight environmental laws, or more accurately the lack of proper environmental laws because in the end, we only have one Earth. The lack of protection for our environment is an injustice to the land, the animals, and our future generations, and it is important that we protect it. I would fight issues concerning women and their rights/lack of them because I am one, and because I am surrounded by strong women that influence me to do the same. Also, a lot of different kinds of unjust laws tie into women’s rights, such as abortion, jobs/salary (the wage gap), women’s representation in the military, and a hundred other things that affect many different women in many different ways. Another issue I would would be willing to fight against or fight for prohibitory laws on the behaviors or actions of American companies. I think this ties into environmental laws, because illegal drilling and dumping harm the environment, as well as other actions like child labor and sweatshops. I would fight for prohibitory laws towards the bad things that companies do, because it would save a lot of people from a terrible life, and allow honest companies to rise up in the economy.

C. I do not completely agree with Dr. King’s reasoning with what makes a law just or unjust. This is because he states that “An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law”, but people’s moral laws can often differ, even if only by a small fraction. While there are some universal moral laws that I personally would hope everyone believes, people will always take issue with specific details pertaining to morality. Also, not everyone believes in God or the same God. Furthermore, he goes on to say that “Any law that degrades human personality is unjust”, and while this can be true, humans degrade themselves and others very often, and to be able to justify what degrading of human personality truly is, would be extremely difficult to come to a conclusion about.

30. Hanna Lupovitch

Hanna Lupovitch
    Mr. Wickersham
    APUSH
    24 October 2017
    Blog #103
    If I had been in the times of the Civil Rights Bill, I think that I would have protested and fought against it, but I would not want to go to jail for it. I am passionate about the fact that all races, ethnicities, genders, and religions should be equal, but I just think that I could do more for the cause if I was not in jail. For instance, I could write articles or speak out against racism if I was not in jail. Therefore, this is fighting against it, but not going to jail for it. I am sort of caught in the middle ground of this question, but clearly toward the side of anti-racism.
    2. I would be willing to go to jail for the unjust laws of abortion, police brutality, and unjust inequality between men and women. I would go to jail for the cause of police brutality because these situations are based on unfair assumptions. Police men, with all their federal power, think that it is okay to assume that just because a person happens to be Black, they are up to something suspicious. They will go and search and even hit the person, just because they were walking on the street. I would also be willing to go to jail from protesting the inequality between men and women today. It is 2017, and men are women still are not equal? Is this a joke? In all seriousness, America has obviously come a long way since the 1950’s when women were only supposed to be housewives. Today, women can be whatever they want to be: doctors, lawyers, etc. However, the fact that men and women still do not have equal pay is ridiculous. A man and a woman can have the same job, do the same amount of work, and yet, a woman will still be paid less. Ridiculous. On another note, of these three, I would be most willing to go to jail because of the new abortion laws. This issue hits such as personal level, that I am certain that many women would be okay with going to jail for this cause. Not only should the federal government not be allowed to make any sort of decision on an issue this personal, but I believe that they do not even understand why it would be logical for a woman to have an abortion! For example, if a young woman is raped, should she have to have the baby? No. It is as simple as that. However, she should not have the choice because the government is deciding to intervene.
    3. I agree with Dr. King’s definition of just and unjust laws. I agree with this meaning because it perfectly captures what laws are all about. Laws are made to ensure that everyone is doing what is right in the country. Therefore, the only possible definition of a “just” law, would be that it is a moral law. This sense of a law being moral just shows that the law is for the greater good.

31. Adrienne Konopka

When I first read the first question. My immediate thought is, “Yes of course!” Everyone wants to be a fighter and stand up for what the believe in, but it comes down to how committed to a cause you really are. I would protest and join in marches in a heartbeat, but if someone were to tell me I’d go to jail for continuing to stand there, I’d definitely think long and hard about what I’m doing. Generally the issues that directly affect me I’m ore passionate about, so if I was protesting a right that I wasn’t as motivated amount I would probably leave. I’m paranoid about college and always want to keep all of my options open for everything, and I wouldn’t want something on my record to take away from any opportunities. With all that being said however, I absolutely think people should stand up for what they believe in and fight for equality. If I feel strongly enough about something to actually go out and protest it, i will have no problem with going to jail for it. And if that’s going to be on my record, at least I can be proud of it. But since I’m a minor my chances of going to jail are lessened, and if there is something that gets put on my record there is a likelihood of it being expunged or for my juvenile records to be closed.

I am most passionate about women’s rights, which encompasses abortion, the wage gap, and overall gender equality, and LGBTQ+ rights. I am not a huge fan of the president, so I’d be willing to fight against him as a person and what him/ his administration stands for. I also feel strongly about immigration laws like the Muslim ban and police brutality/ other injustices directed at people of color.. Although I still feel strongly about these issues, I’m in a privileged enough position that these don’t affect me. I have never had someone come after me based on my religious beliefs or because of the color of my skin. I 100% do not support any negative actions or animosities, but because these don’t directly affect me, although it might sound harsh, I don’t know if I’d be willing to go to jail for these issues. Everyone deserves to be equal and have equal opportunities, but I don’t think I would be internally motivated to physically protest these rights, although I would and do do a lot of activism online. I also think everyone should care about the environment, because it’s dumb not to. Every organism on this planet relies on the environment and the balance of nature staying constant and normal, and if we continue destroying our planet like we have been we will cause irrevocable changes that will slowly kill off all life.

I agree with the idea of King’s reasoning with what makes a law just or unjust, but just because that’s what I think. He’s basically saying a good law is something that you agree with and a bad law is something you disagree with. Obviously everyone will agree with that mindset, but everyone thinks differently so it’ll be impossible to have a law that everyone agrees with. Everyone’s moral compass points in a different direction and everyone’s code of ethics is different. I may think that their should be stricter gun control and is that would happen there would be less mass shootings, but someone else can strongly believe that everyone has a right to bear arms and protect themselves. King’s statement is something that sounds good and everyone will agree with, but once you actually think about it you know there will never be harmony and nothing will ever get passed with this mindset. At the end of the day, people are different and will believe what they want to.

32. Wyatt Heaton

1. In all honesty, probably not. While it might seem cowardly, I’m a very ambitious person and would not be willing to risk all of my goals to protest. A misdemeanor or felony you’re convicted of, whether due to a just law or not, is still a misdemeanor or felony and is still a permanent taint on your record when looking to apply for University or a job. If the unjust law directly impeded my ability to achieve my goals I would be more likely to take part in a protest, but a feel a more viable path for me would be to simply try and attack the problem from the inside, not through protest.
    2. The laws I would be most willing to fight against are those that do so little for our environment. Currently, our nation is doing so little to combat the very deadly and foreboding entity that is our changing climate, and (having withdrawn from things such as the Paris accord) might be soon to do even less. The changing climate presents an irreversible and rapidly advancing threat to every person and other form of life on our planet. The only other item listed here that could have even near the vast global consequences of climate change are was and military actions, with the returning of nuclear weapons to the world stage and very unreasonable leaders of the two largest nations in the world, as well as a one of the few nuclear states being a isolationist and vindictive North Korea. If abortion were to be illegalized I would be willing to protest against those laws, as there are many cases where the mother was raped or simply made a mistake in a bad time of her life and is not ready or in an economic situation suited for raising a child.
    3. To put it simply, no I don’t agree with Doctor King on his idea of a “Just Law.” This is based on the idea that both morals and the Law of God are both based completely on interpretation and opinion. While many people do have similar morals, many people also have fundamentally different points of view, which creates different morals. For instance, under this definition of a just law, a southern slave owner in the 1800’s would easily be able to argue that slavery is perfectly just since in his eyes a black person is less than human, and therefore, in his eyes, it wouldn’t be morally wrong to harm them or keep them as a slave. Also, God’s law is incredibly dependent on a person’s religion and even their interpretation of the scripture of their religion. On could read “Thou shalt not kill.” as it being always a sin to kill, or they could read it as it being a sin to kill an innocent or nonbelligerent person. From this, I believe a more reasonable definition of a just law would be a law that keeps all people within a nation safe, while protecting the natural rights of a person and the rights granted to a person by the constitution of the United States.

33. Jana Dinkeloo

1.) Yes, I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws. I understand that felonies and misdemeanors are terrible for your record, but I’m not saying that I’d do anything unnecessarily violent or over the top like killing someone or burning down buildings in protest. Looking back in time, there’s many examples of people getting arrested or attacked by police for doing nothing other than peacefully protesting and walking with a group, like in the Children’s Crusade. I like to think that if I was arrested at a protest it would be because of self defense or because my right to protest was violated. Of course, the probability of me getting arrested at a women’s march or a black lives matter march or something to that effect might be altered due to my white privilege, but if I was arrested, I wouldn’t exactly feel bad about it because I know that I did something for a good cause and I was non-violent.

2.) On this list, there are many laws and rights that I do and would gladly and non-hesitantly fight for and defend until my dying breath. I know that sounds dramatic, but I am extremely passionate about things like abortion, injustices towards people of color, environmental issues, issues of equal pay and the way women are respected and especially the rights of the LGBTQ community. First of all, I am very pro-choice, and I do not think that old men should be trying to control what women do with their bodies, because it is none of their business. There are so many cases of women getting abortions because they’ve found out that the baby won’t survive to be born, or that the baby would have major health defects, or even that if they carried a baby to term, the baby would kill them. Some women just aren’t ready to be mothers, or are victims of rape and don’t want to support a child that they don’t want. None of these reasons are selfish, or disgusting, and they most certainly aren’t murder and shouldn’t be seen that way. With men in the government restricting what women can do with their bodies, it sends a message that women can’t make their own choices and makes them seem inferior. Women are constantly put down by men in positions of power, and are denied basic things like the same amount of pay as their male coworkers. This is very prevalent in places like the movie industry, where many women leads are paid significantly less than their male costars, which is completely wrong because they’ve done just as much work as the costar. The movie industry also is full of corrupt men in powerful positions, who rape or harass women and sometimes young children, who feel like they can’t speak out or say anything because they don’t want to prematurely end their career. Society puts men like this on a pedestal and these men are usually never punished, while women are called out and blacklisted. I believe that advocating for women’s rights is something that needs to be done and addressed everywhere. Our white society seems to have trouble convicting men who have assaulted people or committed hate crimes, and this is shown in countless cases of police brutality. The murderers of people like Trayvon Martin and Philando Castile aren’t arrested or blacklisted by society, they are just sent on paid leave for a while and tried until they are usually found not guilty. This is incredibly unjust, and something that our country needs to fix it, for its incredibly racist and unconstitutional. Fourth, something that’s ignored by people like the president and other republicans is that our climate is changing drastically, and if we don’t do something to help our environment, it could get ugly fast. We live on this earth, and we need to take the steps to keep it clean and healthy and livable, and we can’t do that if 45 is pulling out of climate change conferences and saying that global warming is made up. Lastly, the rights of people in the LGBTQ community are somethings that I feel extremely strongly about. No one should be targeted or discriminated against because of who they love.It’s disgusting seeing straight people call LGBT people slurs and saying they’re going to hell or threatening their lives because they’re different from straight people. It’s even worse seeing people get away with committing hate crimes, or trying to take away the rights of LGBT people. The people in this community are no different than straight people, and no one should be taking away the rights of anyone because of who they are.

3.) I mostly agree with Dr. King about what makes a law just or unjust. I believe that just laws are indeed morally good, and that laws that go against people’s personalities or who they are are very unjust. What I disagree with is the notion that any law that uplifts human personality is just. Some people have disgusting points of view that would be incredibly unjust if made into actual laws.

34. Jocelyn Warnica

1) I would probably say that I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust law. I do this a lot. But, then it comes time to act upon my words, i suddenly get very nervous and scared of the consequences that come with me acting on my words. Therefore, I would back out of the situation.
    b) This may seem obvious because I am a woman, but the law that I would be most willing to fight for and the law that I am most passionate about is women’s pay equality and other issues concerning women. This is not just because I am a woman, but also because some of the best people I know and knew are women, and they deserved better. For example, my grandma was born during the Great Depression. When she graduated college, she could choose from three jobs, teacher, secretary, or a nurse. She really wanted to be a historian, but she couldn’t because that was a “man’s job”. Even now in 2017, women in technology are having a hard time getting a job, or if they already have their job, they have a hard time getting promoted. In an article on techcrunch.com, written by June Sugiyama, a woman in a leadership position at a tech company, says “While women represent more than half of the college graduates in the United States, they make up only 30 percent of workers at large technology companies.” Not only do white women have an issue with receiving a job or getting promoted, colored women have a harder time receiving these promotions or jobs. If I was old enough to go to the Women’s March on Washington this past year, I would have gone in a heartbeat.
    c) I do agree with MLK’s reasoning in what makes a law just or unjust because what he is saying is that rules are set with the specifics they want when they are put into place. These rules/laws should not be changed to segregate people of a certain group or ethnicity after they are put into place. This is what Dr. King meant by unjust laws. Just laws should not discriminate people of a certain color or race. I agree with MLK’s description and reasoning of just or unjust laws.

35. Graham

Graham Hupp
    10/24/17
    2nd hour
    Just and Unjust
    In the situation if my rights were violated at the bare minimum, I would completely agree to get arrested to further advance my race’s ability in their human rights just as everyone else has. Even with the possible ramifications of misdemeanor and felony, it would be a risk worth taking, per the fact the the human species as a whole, can and will benefit from the protests that would go on. For years and years to come grandchildren, possibly even children could grow in harmony, not caring about each other’s skin color, just like in Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech he says “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character” (Dr. Martin Luther King, I have a dream speech).
    In relation to the laws that I would personally protest even if the risk of my occupation or even the entanglement of jail, I would do all of the Problems on the list except for Military Drafts (6), and the economic structure of the Country such as taxes (5). In regards to the behavior and actions of an American Company (number 10), there is a fine line. These companies have done some of the worst things and possibly, the Government is not doing a single thing to prosecute this Business, the aspect of protest may be required. In the situation of number six, I would not protest the draft of a war the need for a strong, large, thriving military is so vital to the country that sometimes, a draft is needed for the country. The country would only have a draft if there was an oncoming war on the horizon, some may be scared to join the war, but you would to to suck it up, because you are responsible for your country. Finally, regarding the economic structure of the Country with vital sources such as aspects, in my personal opinion would be unconstitutional regarding that the country already has vast amounts of money in debt, and tax is required to aid the country in all of its assets such as military, education, etc. I would be willing to protest the rest of the laws on this list as, they are constitutional to be protestable and for some (abortion laws) they are the personal free will of a person and what they choose to do with their lives, and the government cannot control that.
    I do agree with Dr. Martin Luther King’s reasoning of the topic of what makes a law just, and what makes it unjust. He states “A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of god” this refers to that a law can be just because it is morally correct. For example, the Jim Crow laws, are unjust for the racist backgrounds that they possess within them. These are morally wrong and therefore unjust to the African American people. The definition or moral refers to it as “of, relating to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical’ (Dictionary.com). This ties in with the laws because deep down, it is known that topics such as racism is wrong and an unjust non-moral law.

36. Jacob Ellenbogen

Jacob Ellenbogen
    2nd Hour
    10/24/17
    1. I would be willing to go to jail for protesting against a law I believe to be unjust. There are many reasons why this is the case, and many reasons why this wouldn’t be the case. One of the reasons I wouldn’t do it is because I would be scared. In all honesty, if I were told I had to face the conditions that the civil rights movement workers were facing during the marches such as Selma, I would be terrified to leave my house. That being said, there are some causes that to me are worth it. There is a saying we have at Groves in our house rules, “Be the change you wish to see.” This reasoning is why I think, issue depending, I would be willing to go out there and go to jail for what I believe in. We live in America, and in America, we have the right to free speech, as well as the right to congregate freely. If I got arrested for doing that, I would know that I have the legal high ground; And while not for all causes, there are some causes that I would be willing to go through the trouble of being jailed if it meant that there would be change.
    2. Which issues would make me upset enough to make me want to go and protest? Well personally, one of my biggest issues with America today is that not all people are treated equally. The way I see it, we are all human, and we should all be equal, regardless of how we look, or what we believe in. I believe that both our natural rights and our constitutional rights mostly fall under one category: human rights. And human rights should not be reserved for just one person or another, but rather given to all humans. That is why issues like the Muslim Ban, or LGBTQ equality, or women’s equality, or Police brutality, are issues that resonate with me.
    3. I completely agree with Dr. King’s definition of a just law. A basic rule would be if you have questions about whether you should be doing something that may hurt other people, either physically or emotionally, it probably isn’t a good idea. This should be the same with laws. A perfect example would be gun control. It is extremely difficult for an anti-gun control congressman to look someone who is a victim of gun violence in the eye and tell them that we should decrease gun control. If you have trouble conveying the morality of a law, it is not just.

37. Hadin Sayed

a. I would definitely go to jail to protest unjust laws like many Civil Rights workers. I realize this would of been detrimental to my future as a young teen or college student going to jail. This would also impact me as jail on my record would affect my future aspirations. On the other hand though, this would be a situation that was much more important than just me. You had blacks who were basically told by society they were not as good as whites, and were unjustly killed. When the situation is that bad, my personal opinion is that you cannot simply stay silent. Whether you participate in peaceful demonstration or even go as far to fight back and defend yourself like Malcolm X taught, I believe it is important to stand up to the awful injustice. These demonstrations proved to work as the demonstrations led to people on seeing TV what terrible things were happening to young people, which sparked change by the Government. You also have to look at what would’ve happened if I and many people didn’t protest. Well if many people didn’t protest (which would include me) the American people wouldn’t see this as such a huge national embarrassment because people like me decided to not protest so hypothetically, the police wouldn’t beat us up. Then, the backlash to the white Southern racists would be non existent so the Government potentially would not of intervened and let the Racist state Governments handle everything.
    b. I would, to some extent fight the Muslim ban, police brutality, and women’s pay equality. When I mean to some extent, I mean I wouldn’t do anything crazy like get arrested for these injustices, but I would get involved in protests. The reason why I wouldn’t do anything crazy is because at this point, I don’t think it is necessary. At this point, I feel like all those issues have made progress without drastic measures. The Muslim ban was shut down by the courts, police brutality has seen major organizations and politicians get involved, and equal pay for women has seen major strides under the previous administration. I think the most effective but smart thing to do was to get involved in peaceful protests. This is because the media would be covering the protests a lot, and everyone would see how people really felt about an administration’s decision. Just look at the Muslim ban protests in major airports. The coverage of those events exposed how people really felt about the ban of people from muslim-majority countries. The reason I would get involved with these specific injustices is because I simply think they are ridiculous. The Muslim ban just strikes fear into people and doesn’t solve any terrorism goals, staggering statistics have clearly shown police brutality is a major problem, and it is just shameful that women get paid less than men doing the same exact job.
    c. I would agree with Dr. King’s reasoning on what makes a law just or unjust. King said a just law squares with the moral law or the law of God. I would agree that a just law would have to be morally the right thing to do. When you are talking about a just law, you are talking about the fairness and the ethics of law, which was exactly what King was talking about. On his statement that a just law squares with the law of God I think that just depends on your religious views if King is right. Also, I think King is exactly right when he says an unjust law is out of harmony with the moral law. If a law is morally wrong it is an unjust law in my opinion.

38. Jonathan Giha

Honestly, I would not be willing to go to jail to protest laws unless they would stop me from getting a fulfilling career. I am the kind of person that follows the rules, and committing a felony just isn’t the kind of thing I’d do unless I was being personally targeted. I would also be very hesitant to risk my future by committing any sort of crime, because I think I have a good chance to succeed in life.
    I would be willing to protest for LGBTQ rights, against sweatshops and the like, against police brutality, and for women’s equality, but as I said above, I would not be willing to commit a felony or land myself in jail. I would be willing to protest for these causes because they all have one thing in common, which is that the treatment of the groups affected by these issues violates their basic rights. I think that all people should be guaranteed the basic freedoms that we are all supposed to have in the United States. However, some people are denied their basic rights. For example, LGBTQ people could not marry until mid 2015, a shocking one hundred and forty seven years since the fourteenth amendment which should have allowed it. Also, workers in sweatshops are treated extremely unfairly, usually paid way below minimum wage, and worst of all many of these workers are children. Still in the United States, minorities have to deal with police brutality. According to the Huffington Post, more than 250 black people were killed by police in 2016, which is kind of disgusting considering at least thirty nine of them were completely unarmed. And women also still have to deal with discrimination – a woman is paid about eighty cents for every dollar that a man makes, at the same job.
    I do agree, to some extent, with Mr. King’s reasoning. I think that if we can not justify a law through moral discourse, then there is no reason for it to exist because it wouldn’t help anyone. However, I would propose a small change so that cases like ‘I don’t feel like following the speed limit’ don’t come up, and that would be to change it to Any law that cannot be morally justified should not exist. This would easily get rid of racist laws like the Jim Crow laws, while keeping safety laws like speed limits.

39. charlie hardy

a. I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights workers had done during the 1950s and 60s, but only depending on the situation. If what I’m protesting for is to earn myself and people like me certain rights that will help my livelihood in the future, then I think it’s beyond worth it to have the chance of going to jail. I’d be fighting for something to influence generations of people in the same situation as I; they wouldn’t have to struggle the way I had to because I put a foot forward in helping get rid of these struggles.
    b. After consulting the list above, I would be willing to fight against: abortion because a woman—and anyone else for that matter—has the right to do whatever they want to their own body; no 50+ year old man should be dictating anything about a woman wanting an abortion or not because it is not in any way, shape, or form, their problem, and I am sick and tired of this argument. I would also fight for LGBTQ+ rights because discrimination is a cruel and unnecessary thing that no one should have to experience, especially if it’s not a situation that you can control. I would also fight for economic stuff like taxes because it’s not fair that some rich people pay no taxes whereas poorer people have to worry about paying their taxes on time each month when the richer people can simply afford it. I would also fight for environmental damage and lack of environmental laws because despite what some dumb people think, the environment is constantly being affected by our actions and soon enough, we won’t have a planet to inhabit because we’ve destroyed it. I would also fight for jobs or lack of jobs because everyone should have the right to take care of themselves and have a job. I would also fight for police brutality or other injustices directed at people of color because often police officers get off with hate filled murder against POC, and get to keep their jobs as if these discrepancies are normal and should be completely accepted, when in fact they are in fact unacceptable and should be taken far more seriously. Black lives certainly do matter, and I would most definitely fight for rights dealing with these issues. Lastly, I would fight for women’s pay equality and other women’s rights because women are severely under appreciated in this country in many ways; we have lower paying jobs, we are taken for advantage, and we are seen as objects. To finally get completely equality to men in this country would be seen as an indescribable victory.
    c. I do agree with Dr. King’s reasoning with what makes a law just or unjust because the law of God would state that everyone be equal, and that’s the root of majority of these issues. If we just followed the rule that everyone be treated equally and we stopped discriminating against others, many of these problems would quickly diminish, and so would many other problems.

40. Nick Johns

While I would be totally against unjust laws, and openly disapprove of them, I would not be willing to go to jail for really any cause. I believe in this day and age, there are not really any pressing issues that would require such an action. Of course, back in that time of racial tension, action arguably was needed to force change. In this instance, I would stand behind all the people willing to fight for it, as long as they do it peacefully, or nonviolently. Even in these instances, I myself would not be willing to get arrested myself, but I would support the people that are as long as they are not causing riots, vandalizing property, or putting others in danger.

After reviewing the list, really the only law I would be willing to fight against is abortion. This is due to my set of values and religious beliefs, I don’t believe abortion is morally acceptable. I do however frown upon the ways a lot of people with the same belief I have try to fight this. I don’t think the way to solve this issue is to stand outside of places where abortions are performed and heckle people, I don’t think that solves anything. Another tactic I disagree with is the signs that people hold at the sides of roads. Again, even though I agree with these people’s idea, holding signs at the sides of roads was a quick way to ruin a Dream Cruise for me one year. I think that an actual productive way of solving this is to fight it through laws and proposing bills to start to outlaw this practice. It is in the judicial system where I really think anything will get done.

I agree with Dr. King’s reasoning on what makes a law just or unjust, because I believe spiritually in about the same thing Dr. King believed. I do believe in a God, and think that it is because of him that makes things moral or immoral. I base my own values off of my religion, so I do believe that just laws are in line with the Law of God.

41. Alex Smith

A) I would be willing to go to jail for some unjust laws. Specifically laws that have to do with police brutality to any and every person and laws that create technicalities that allow people to get out of jail free. I feel that there are definitely unjust laws out there like for instance immigration laws. I feel as though you can’t classify all the people of one specific area to the same standards. But the reason I would not go to jail for every unjust law is because in a way it’s an opinion as to what is just or not. Considering the ramifications of jail I would only go to jail for the unjust laws that play a huge impact in my life personally. Even if I think a certain law is unjust if it doesn’t affect me greatly or great enough I most likely would not risk aspects of my future for it.

B) I would be willing to fight against immigration laws, certain tax laws, lack of environmental laws, lack of jobs, police brutality, and lack of equal pay for woman. I feel that people shouldn’t be discriminated against for being a certain race, religion, or sex. I also feel that we need more job opportunities and that Texas should be looked at. I also feel that our military should be looked further into. They do a great job but there is always room for improvement. Other subjects like LGBTQ and abortions I don’t feel strongly toward a certain side about. I don’t really have an opinion on those topics. As for a military draft I don’t know how I would feel because since I personally think the military is cool I wouldn’t be opposed to a draft but I feel as though I’m biased on that topic. I can’t really see too many down sides to a draft.

C) I agree with Dr. Kong’s judgement of a just or unjust law almost comepletely. While I do believe there is a moral code to it I also believe it is dependent upon one’s self and not necessarily on one’s god. Done everyone is a different religion and some people don’t even have a religion you can’t exactly base a moral code on it and expect everyone to follow it. This is why I believe that whether a law is just or unjust is opinion based. While majority of society can think a certain way every one thinks differently. One person likes to put the milk in before the cereal while the rest of society puts the cereal in first. Or brains are wired differently and my just law can be very different from yours. Although my definition of the just law is slightly different from King’s our theories of the unjust law are identical. But it is the meaning of the moral code part of it where we part ways.

42. Gabriel Gamlin

Many times we have seen innocent people arrested, accosted, and even killed for protesting and fighting for their rights and for change. We have seen it in the Children’s March in 1963, The Detroit Uprising of 1967, the Tiananmen Square protest of 1989, and recently, the Ferguson unrest of 2014. These protests, uprisings, or riots have all turned to violence and bloodshed in their duration, and resulted in the arrests and deaths of 100s and even 1000s of people. You may be thinking, why would anyone put themselves in danger for a cause they could support at home? Well, what were these people putting their lives at stake for? Equality. Democracy. Justice. In all of these demonstrations, we can see that people were protesting for the greater good of their society, and took action that forced conversation about the problems around them. Because these protests were meant to shine a light on the potential greater good of humanity, it is worth the trouble of being arrested or losing your life in order to build a stepping stone towards humanity’s success.
    You see, many of the greatests movements involved riots and protests that led to many people being killed and or arrested. The 1930 Salt Protest in India lead by Mahatma Gandhi was a peaceful demonstration that was meant to draw attention to the British Monopoly of Salt, an important and chief resource the Indian people needed cultural and economic control over in order to live in prosperity. Though peaceful, the British forces arrested 60,000 protesters for acting against the British control of India. So, what could possibly justify the arrest of 60,000 people for nothing? How about the freedom and release of all Indian peoples from the hands of the British? This protest was one of many in the movement in India to push Britain out of the country and stop their oppression of the Indian people, and almost all of these protests resulted in the arrest and even killings of many, many people. But as we have seen today, their efforts helped build toward a greater tomorrow, and they succeeded in their plight. Other examples of this can be seen in the Children’s March in Birmingham, Alabama, where 100s of peacefully protesting children were arrested by the Police and were beaten and attacked with Dogs and Firehoses. Though it was incredibly rough for many Blacks protesting in the 60s, their people were able to inspire the ratification of the definitive Civil Rights bill, and their efforts had paid off.

To be honest, I would fight for and defend all of the rights listed on the Blog. Call me a Liberal Snowflake, but I think it is an act against humanity to knowingly ignore or act against these issues, as these all touch on longstanding violations of basic human rights, and against logic and reason on general. I mean, it’s not like you can pretend that most characters on TV and Movies are essentially type casted tokens of existence that merely only exist to satisfy viewers instead of actually be interesting without essentially watching exclusively the Nature Channel. And how can you explain the fact that the United States Government has made it impossible for Transgender citizens to join the Military without facing the fact that there is no economic or political gain from such an action? Let’s not even get started on Equal opportunity, the treatment of Natives and Puerto Rican citizens, or equal pay. You see, issues like these and more are things that society has tended to put in the background with merely subtext and short lived protest, but not much action lately. Because the American people are put in a spot of indifference with each other, it has become difficult to have a conversation with each other about politics and sociology. It is important that people stand out against the poor norms of society in order to show people the realities of the world we live in, and because so many issues that can be solved exist today, it makes sense to me that everybody should speak out and fight against any form of discrimination and injustice. I am not trying to say that every waking moment you should tell a white guy to check his privilege, or blow up Rick Snyder’s car, but it should be an obligation to everyone to at the very least recognize the real problems in society. Many times people have looked at a facet of America the wrong way and have argued for regressive beliefs, such as suggesting that women don’t have any pay issues and that Black people are just lazy, so their mass poverty and misrepresentation is completely their fault, etc. This happens a bit too much in my eyes, but I believe with the help of others, Americans can give themselves a brighter future through social commentary and change. (Not to sound like a Communist by encouraging community reliance.)

I, shockingly enough, agree with the Reverend’s claim. I know, a Black kid agreeing with MLK, what are the odds. Well, in America, laws are supposed to be existent for the betterment of the people’s way of life and state of living, and things such as Jim Crow and the Laws against Gay Marriage act directly against the American people. You see, it simply makes no sense to have a right given to everyone that says they have the right to life, liberty, and property, and then renounce those rights to people based upon selective criteria. This violates the literal written moral code of the American lawmaking system, the Constitution, and is against the moral code of those who are singled out. So naturally any Law that conflicts with the moral interest of any significant group of Americans is a “Bad Law”, and should ergo be removed.
    The part of Martin’s claim that says that any law against the will of God is, in my opinion, right on the money, but for philosophically abstract reasons. You see, everyone has their own God in my eyes. Some may worship a physical thing, like money or entertainment, some may worship an entity or deity, like myself and the Judeo-Christian God, and some people worship ideas, such as a political ideology or state of mind, like Hip Hop and me as well. Jk. The concept of a God is something that someone centers their life around, and holds in the highest possible regard towards their life. Ergo, because the United States is a nation that advocates for the freedom of thought and the pursuit of happiness, any Law that threatens the potential worship or following of such a God is a Law that is in direct conflict with the rights of all Americans. Today we see many examples of people’s ideology being under attack. Jihad had hijacked the Islamic faith and Muslims have been viewed by many as “others”, despite them being just as important to society as any other ethnic group. The tolerance of Religion in Public schools has been under fire as Science has crossed over from being the study and collection of the universe’s data and the rational knowledge of it to being an ideology as well that can sway masses just as much as any religion. Small time drug dealers have been arrested countlessly throughout America, but Tobacco and Drug Companies drift easy on the global economic and legal slope by performing the same act in search of monetary riches. These issues persist and are taken down by the repealing and replacing of the said “Bad Laws”, and these Laws are a threat to the many Gods people supposedly have the right to serve today.

43. Kyle Varda

1. I would protest unjust laws just like those who protested the unjust laws for Civil rights movement in the 50’s and 60’s. The ramifications of doing this wouldn’t matter to me, even if it meant losing my job, being harassed or beaten. I believe that a person’s job on this earth is to make the world better and more just for the next generation. If that meant risking my personal well-being to maybe save someone’s life in the future or make their life easier to injustice and discrimination I would do it. I would use St. Augustine’s quote that “an unjust law is no law at all,” as a perfect example of why I would fight. If a law makes one man or one race treated differently why not fight to make it better and equal. Another quote to describe my view is by Thomas Jefferson, who said, “If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
    2. One of the things I would fight for on the list is #7, environmental laws/ lack of environmental laws. Ever since I was a kid I loved nature, I was a boy scout who always went exploring and loved camping. The problem is that because of past pollution damage and holes in the ozone then earth is dying. The earth is slowly slowing down and that means that we can’t protect ourselves from the sun’s rays. If we planted more trees to produce more oxygen in place of old factories and open lots that are no longer in use, we can have the earth live a few more years. The pollution increased during the Reagan administration. Reagan despised the environmental hippies from the past, got rid of the white house solar panels his predecessor Jimmy Carter installed and famously stated, “Trees cause more pollution than cars”. After Reagan left office did pollution in the U.S. decline. But now President Trump has directed his attention to creating more jobs like coal which cause pollution and pulled out of the Paris accords, which holds countries to goals to lower pollution.
    3. I believe in what Dr. King said was correct about what make a law unfair. If we are not treated as equals whether that is in a social aspect, like being treated differently about our race or ethnicity, a political aspect, like if the government is treating a law about race is right but is really hurting people, but won’t budge on the issue. If the government is taking away from your human rights, like the rights our forefathers wrote down on the nation’s constitution then the country needs to change. You have the right of freedom of speech, press and religion and if people are taking away from that, then fight for your right to be free.

https://thinkprogress.org/a-graphical-look-at-presidents-environmental-records-f232f07005d0/

44. Kate Karaskewicz

A. I would in fact go to jail for a cause that was unjust like the activists of the 1950s and 1960s. I feel it sends a message if enough stand with you that there needs to be a change in law or in the government. I would not get violent. I feel like violence does not help the cause but I understand that I could he caught in the cross fires and or arrested. It is my belief that if you have an issue(s) with authority, they way something is or happens, and even just a private issues that you should question it and if the answer you get is unjust then it is on your shoulders to change it. Even if you have to do it in small ways eventually something might happen.

B. Causes that I would go to jail for would include abortion, equal pay and rights for women, police brutality, LGBTQ rights, and Improving the care/Treatment of the mentally ill, vets, and prisoners. I believe women have should have the right to choose what ever she does with her body and when she does it. I think that there is no reason that a women, or anyone else for that matter, should be payed less then a man that does the same thing. All people should be able to trust the people who keep them save. Assumptions that police officers make because of the color of someone’s skin should not cost someone’s life or injury. And no police officer should have any problem with wearing a body camera if they are protecting and enforcing the correct laws. Someone One should be allowed to love who ever he or she wishes without discrimination or fear of any kind because we are all human beings what does it really matter? And finally we should take care of those who can’t take care of themselves, we should take care of those who fought for our freedom and give them the benefits they deserve, and she mercy and at the lease decent living conditions and rehabilitation services for those who have made mistakes in the pass.

C.  I do Agree with Dr. King. Laws are laws for a reason at times not good reasons causing said laws to be unjust. He is simply saying most laws are moral and have solid reasoning behind them which they do. However, some like the segregation laws do not have good reasoning or any reasoning at all and are easily prove to be unjust and immoral. Therefore the people should protest if the feel that strongly about it. Laws are created and enforced for the common good of the people. Although the one hole in king’s argument is that people are raised with different morals leading to different people coming to different conclusions to was is or isn’t unjust. If I had to make a blanket statement I would say this: Law that are not for the most common good of the people should be challenged. The government needs proof that a law is for the most common good before it is passed.  

45. Kiran Krishnan

A. I would be willing to go to jail to protest unjust laws like the Civil Rights workers had done many times during the 1950s and 60s, but only for a cause I thought was extremely important. It would take a lot for me to do be willing to go to jail for a cause. But if it was something where I felt I couldn’t bear living any longer under the conditions I was in I think I would be willing. I think that for me it would have to get to a point where I felt that there was no point in living if I wasn’t at least trying to do something to better my situation. Even when I consider the ramifications of a felony or misdemeanor on your record, and its impact on my potential future career, I think that whatever I’d be fighting for, I would be so invested in that it wouldn’t matter to me. I’d probably be thinking that my stance was right and the more moral stance and that eventually everyone else would agree with that stance, so I would be on the right side of history in the long run anyways. Even though I am saying that I think I would do these things, I’m not sure that in the moment I would be that courageous and make the choice to put myself at risk of being arrested.
    B. I would be willing to fight against restrictions on abortion, and women’s pay equality and other issues concerning women. While there are many other critical issues I feel like these are the ones that affect me the most, and therefore are the most important to me. Women’s pay is something I feel strongly about especially being a woman/girl. I deserve what a man deserves for the same or better work. I think that men realize women are just as smart as men, if not smarter, I mean most of the time I see a boy ask for help with something in school I see them ask a girl, but I think some men have their own insecurities and think they need to be breadwinners for their families and be or act superior to women. I think the fight for equal pay must come from fighting by both men and women to show that they are okay with strong women and aren’t threatened by them. Abortion is also something I feel strongly about, I am a firm believer in the idea that it is a women’s right to choose what she does with her body. I think that it just doesn’t affect anyone other than her and maybe a few other people are close to her, but ultimately it has the greatest effect on her and it is her body so it is ultimately a woman’s decision.
    C. I somewhat agree with Dr. King’s reasoning of what makes a law just or unjust. He says that “A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.” I agree that our laws should be moral, however I think that using the phrasing “law of God” is a mistake because so many people interpret the Bible and God’s teachings differently. I am also not quite sure I agree that “Any law that uplifts human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust.” I think that a law or idea can uplift a group of people while putting down others like with the Jim Crow laws. I think saying all human personality might make me agree with the agreement more.

46. Cariel Gamlin

A)I think Police brutality is a mental error that has been fed to people in academy or when they were younger. The issue needs to be addressed before they become a cop. Not to mention a taser should be enough. The gun is hurting a race of people by a psychological bias ingrained in the minds of these prejudice cops. The unfair treatment of blacks are still here. When people with high status like Kaepernick to address the issue are punished. We are so close to doctor King’s dream but not ot the point where we are paid equally and has no bias when police approach us. I would be arrested for it because it is necessary for people to see it. Yes I would be arrested for women’s rights. I am a black female with an afro and I am not desired in the job market. I get paid less because I am an minority and because I am a women. But, I would never be here today because of the civil rights movement. I wouldn’t mind being a Claudette Colvin who may not be one of the biggest names but did something huge. Claudette was the first person to refuse their seat on the bus and was arrested for it. People don’t know her for a reason, it was made to be that way. She did it without SNCC and other organization so there wasn’t much press for it. But Martin Luther’s organization bailed her and told her ROsa Parks heir secretary would do the same thing just with more pres. But, she was the one who convicted the bus system. It all started because she was arrested. If I was apart of this fighting cause, I would be proud because I would be helping my future children even if it’s on my record. Jails are terrible places but I wouldn’t care. I would use that time wisely to educate myself to help the fight even more. Martin Luther King was arrested about 30 times. Yet he met the president and showed injustice and became a huge leader. I wouldn’t care. Because when you know you are right you will fight for it.
    The laws I don’t think are unjust for abortion. I do hope that the laws aren’t changed in a negative way based on the government officials in office may change it because they seem to be pro-life.So I am Pro-choice. I think women should have the option to choose to have their children or not. I think to remove the rights of having an abortion is removing a woman’s right to control her body. Now though I have strong opinions on this issue I wouldn’t get arrested for it.
    B)I think our policy on immigrants and how we face internal terrorism needs to be changed if you would count that as a war. To be honest I don’t know if there’s a way to stop the war on ISIS. I would be arrested for Immigration rights.
    I think the immigration ideas were crap and need to be scrapped. When I talk about the travel ban and without a quality cause to deport immigrants. I think if they were illegally coming into our country should be turned to citizens with a high fine for coming illegally with an international background check. Then For the ban it’s absurd. If you are so worried about terrorist focus on the one’s at home. And just to show why I believe so here’s a study from Cato institute “This policy analysis identifies 154 foreign-born terrorists in the United States who killed 3,024 people in attacks from 1975 through the end of 2015. Ten of them were illegal immigrants, 54 were lawful permanent residents (LPR), 19 were students, 1 entered on a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, 20 were refugees, 4 were asylum seekers, 34 were tourists on various visas, and 3 were from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries. The visas for 9 terrorists could not be determined. During that period, the chance of an American being murdered by a foreign-born terrorist was 1 in 3,609,709 a year. The chance of an American being killed in a terrorist attack committed by a refugee was 1 in 3.64 billion a year. The annual chance of being murdered by somebody other than a foreign-born terrorist was 252.9 times greater than the chance of dying in a terrorist attack committed by a foreign-born terrorist.”( Cato Institute). I mean it’s less of an immigration problem but more of an internal problem. Don’t let the immigrants suffer for an internal problem. And I would be arrested for this problem also someone will take a stand and I’ll be that person if I have to.
    We were doing so good on giving lgbtq people rights. To be fair they always have rights it was the fact that will people will let them use their rights like to marry or a transgender to join the Army to save their country. I’ve never been that huge of a patriot but if a transgender is more patriotic and wants to fight for the country why stop them. Not to mention the miniscule amount of money that goes for transgender hospital bills isn’t that much to stress about. We are the number one Military fighting power currently and for some time we have. Though we shouldn’t let our guard down for attacks, We could use the money for transgender service members as they are going through their sex change operation. But how women, transgenders are treated in the military is rude and needs reform. LGBTQ people have rights and deserve them. I don’t know what the future would come to but, if I woke up someday and wanted to marry same sex or my Gay cousins would want to marry someday I would like that. For them or maybe me to marry who I love regardless of gender.
    Eh to be honest I don’t think I know enough to make a stance for this issue. I think taxes are not perfect and should be revised. I think less tax cuts should come to the rich. I do not know how though. That’s all I know. I think a more qualified cabinet and President should make a reform on taxes instead of a rich business owner mainly who focuses on business often. I wouldn’t get arrested for it though.
    I think a draft is unnecessary unless very dire last resort consequences. You are forcing people to die. To traumatize a person because they are 18 and older is awful. I wouldn’t get arrested for it.
    I don’t think climate change should be an optional issue to choose if you believe it or not. There’s too much data and evidence for it to be called a theory. Not to mention this is a current issue that needs to be immediately fixed for future friends and allies. I wouldn’t mind pressure or flack but I am unsure about being arrested. I’m leaning towards would.
    For jobs and lack of jobs we need to expand our horizons on where we get jobs. If you are concerned about an immigrant gaining an american job take the job opening in their original country. I also think people should expand what kind of job they would ike. For example if you want to be a doctor don’t just think suburb of you state, Think up where you want to go. I would never be arrested for this.
    To be honest i don’t care for the issue that much. I think some guidelines are overprotective. I think the artist should be paid and have a formal citation that’s it nothing more.
    I think these jobs should be given back to american workers. Though I know it cost less for your old navy crew neck but, these sweatshops are formed of children and are paid almost nothing. And though it may cost more to do things like dump properly it’s better for the environment. Trust me the nonmutated grandchildren thank you. I wouldn’t get arrested for it though. I would get arrested for Police brutality and women’s rights it’s just my duty as a Black Female with a big afro with big plans, and a big personality.
    C) I give it a Meh and here’s why when he started to compare others that will be wrong I lose him. I assume it’s dramatic effect but, let’s act like it’s not. So Jesus is wrong if Martin Luther King is wrong; no even though you weren’t wrong MLK, In context to what Jesus did: he was right. To get rid of people ‘s sins was the right thing to do. And if the supreme court makes a mistake that doesn’t make sense to say they are always wrong. And though there are many blemishes on the constitution, it’s not entirely wrong. Now the one I do agree with is if they are wrong the world is wrong because the world decided blacks aren’t’ people and don’t deserve rights. “I want it to be known that we’re going to work with grim and bold determination to gain justice on the buses in this city” (MLK) I agree with this section because I think that is the proper way to peacefully get what you want politically. I think current activist need to learn from this line on how to get what you want peacefully. I agree with his paragraph about moral obligation though. He makes a good comment if you think something is morally evil and you have a passion for it then fight! Just do it!!! I mean really now you can fight and not be arrested but do something about it. Maybe you’ll be the one who changes history. These people are the ones that get Mr. Wickersham post about them. The issue is people are passionate about an issue and they do nothing about it. If you see a computer out of the computer cart you put it back right? The Correct answer is yes so please i, Mean really do something. Your friend Molly, From Puerto Rico needs food and money get some for her. Ethics can be confusing. Once you realize you’re wrong change then explain what you did wrong. Here’s the truth if you have the mentality of “well someone else will do it” then nothing will get done in this life. If you see misjustice just talk about it. It start with talking so just talk.

47. Abby Nelson

During the height of the civil rights era many supporters and protesters were going to jail for their protests, even when all they did was stand up for what they felt was right. Many notable civil rights activists were thrown into prison for their ability to portray the first amendment and peacefully protest. Although these brave souls did know what they were getting themselves into, I don’t know if I would be able to go to jail for an inequality unless I wasn’t alone in the act. In the case of the civil rights era, multiple arrests were made because of the same march, which raised awareness for the injustices that African Americans were facing. I believe that if there were multiple people arrested for protesting the same injustice would have a greater impact on the press and the news stations, therefore creating more awareness about the injustice and educate more people on what exactly I was fighting for.  

Personally, I would be willing to fight for LGBTQ+ rights, abortion rights, and women’s equality. Although a lot of these injustices have been addressed in some way by the government or corporations, these are still very relevant issues that need to have awareness raised about them. There are still preachers preaching homophobic teachings, men and women standing outside of abortion clinics spitting at women going in, and sexist remarks made at women even when they’re walking down the street. These few things are injustices that need protests to make the people aware of what is going on. I would not be afraid to share my opinions on these matters and would protest in order for my views to be shared.

I believe that Martin Luther King Jr.’s views on unjust laws is correct. In the national anthem it states “liberty and justice for all” in it, implying that America stands for the people and fights for equality. Although America has had some pretty tough setbacks in the past few months, I believe Dr. King’s views are correct and that people should have the inate ability to judge an unjust law from a just law and that we have had a relatively good time doing that in the past. I believe that what Dr. King was saying is that an unjust law pushes down one particular group/people/thing for no reason whatsoever other than to push that thing down. Those are the laws that we should be protesting and those are the unjust laws Dr. King mentioned.

48. Ella Landers

Without a doubt, yes, I indubitably would go to jail to protest unjust laws. As severe misdemeanor on my record could be I think that protesting against an act/law/social construct I strongly abhor is something I would be strongly compelled to do. Although it definitely would negatively influence my future job chances, I really regard that as irrelevant and extraneous as compared to stopping something that was so atrocious and bigoted, something that largely affected an overwhelming amount of people. Basically, in the long run, I wouldn’t care about my job or the job I didn’t get. I would care that I helped stop one of the worst issues in our country.

B) To begin with, one unjust law I would certainly fight for is the right to have an abortion. As a strong adherent of pro-choice, I strongly believe that the choice to have an abortion or to have the child is something that should 100% be up to the woman who it directly affects. As Margaret Sanger said, ‘No woman can call herself free who does not control her own body.”
    In the United States, we’re somewhat lucky; many countries have strong laws restricting abortions no matter the case. As of January 1973 ( during the Roe v Wade case, a case filed by Norma McCorvey against Henry Wade, who was the district attorney of Dallas County who enforced a Texas law that prohibited abortion. Eventually, Norma won the case, and the supreme court affirmed the legality of a woman’s right to have an abortion under the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution) it is legal to have an abortion in all 50 state. However, Donald Trump, our newest president, has expressed a strong opposition to abortion, except in cases of rape, incest, and when the mother’s health is endangered. He has also stated his support of Roe v Wade being overturned, which would give each individual state the chance to ban abortions based on what each state governor believes. Many states (mostly southern states) have specific abortion restrictions; restricting mothers on when/where/how they can get an abortion.I think that this is highly unconstitutional and overall very ludicrous that Donald Trump and many of these state governors making restrictions believe they are in the right when they oppose abortion. A Planned Parenthood ad brought up an interesting and very true point: ‘77% of anti-abortion leaders are men. 100% of them are pregnant.’ It is unfair and unjust to restrict or prohibit abortion, and that is why I would unquestionably fight against it.
    Another unjust law I would strongly fight for is environmental issues. The environment has always been something I deeply cared about. I have been raised to recycle, reuse, and not to waste. Many environmental issues are so significant and vital in our world today. It is not difficult to understand: If we do not take better care of our Earth, it will eventually be gone.
    Although there are numerous facts and support on environmental issues, countless people do not deem it a priority or even believe in it at all. For example, Donald Trump has said he will pull the USA out of the Paris international climate agreement and taken steps to cut back the US Environmental Protection Agency. In my personal opinion, I think Trump is TREMENDOUSLY uneducated and shortsighted on environmental issues. I directly quote, word for word, something Donald Trump has said: The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive. Global warming? A lie from the Chinese? It’s almost laughable, but yet horribly disappointing and distressing to have someone with this view as the person who controls our country. It’s this kind of thinking, this kind of general idiocracy that fuels me to support environmental issues and compels me to fight for it.
    C) I do not agree with MLK’s statement. He states that the difference between a just law and an unjust law is solely based on whether or not it stands to the moral law. I believe that many laws are more complicated on whether or not they are moral. An issue is often never black or white, there is no clear right or wrong so it is impossible to say if it is moral or immoral; it is just more complex than that.

49. Ethan Biederman

A. As a white male, I would not participate in the civil disobedience of the Civil Rights Movement. I would not want for risk my potential career on it. This is not to say I wouldn’t have supported the movement, I just wouldn’t have joined it. If I were black or another race, I definitely would have joined in on the civil disobedience and would have been willing to get arrested for it. Without those civil rights, it would have been impossible for me to have a good career, so what’s a few arrest for disturbing the peace going to ruin?
    B. I would be willing to fight for/against many of the rights on the list, including abortion rights, LGBTQ rights, a military draft, environmental laws, and women’s pay equality. I would fight for these things (or against in the case of the military draft) because it is the right thing to do. A woman has the right to choose what she does with her body. Abortion is a choice of the mother and the father. It is not the government’s place to regulate what a woman can or cannot do with her body. There is no reason for members of the LGBTQ community to be discriminated against or have any less rights than a straight American. As one of the world’s leading countries, it is our responsibility to take a stand against climate change and preserve the Earth for future generations. There is no reason that a woman should be paid less than a man for the same work. And, in the case of the military draft, most of America’s wars are fought overseas and don’t directly impact U. S. national security in a major way. Americans should not be forced to fight in these situations to defend places that don’t impact the average American.
    C. I agree with Dr. King that a just law is a moral law. In the 60s there were lots of laws that just didn’t make sense and were morally wrong. If a law is morally wrong, how can it be just? The definition of just is to be “guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness.” If a law is morally wrong, how can it fit this definition?

50. AJ Zako

I would be willing to accept all of the consequences if I was fighting for something I believe in. While it may be quicker and more efficient to pay workers from other countries in sweatshops is inhumane. And sometimes it’s not even people from other countries, there are Walmart sweatshops all over the country and the world where American people are working with harsh hours and work conditions with almost no civil liberties. When these people were interviewed for a documentary that was releasing the hard truths about Walmart and they’re employees workplaces and conditions.

The only one I would be willing to fight for in the list is the one about behavior and actions of American Companies. Also maybe I would I would consider fighting for is immigration laws. I would say this because America is know as the land of the free and the home of the brave. These immigrants who are taking a chance to be brave enough to come to a different countries for different opportunities so they can stop being segregated because of race, gender, or even religion. Just because people believe something different than us it doesn’t mean that they should be treated that much differently to the point where we deny their access to the into the country.

I do agree with Dr King’s ideas about whether a lead is just or unjust. A just law is a man code that squares with the moral law or the law of god. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. A man named St. Thomas Aquinas once said something along the lines of an unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law. This really speaks to me because I really believe in equality for all races and religions. We are all people and we share this planet so why would we all want be against each other. We don’t need to not let Muslims into the country. They are just trying to find a place with better opportunities. The same thing the American people did many many years ago. We all have to understand each other and we and get on the same page and then we can live in harmony with peace and love with now war. Will war be necessary eventually? Yes it will be but right now we can focus on trying to get people to come to straight terms with each other that we all live on this globe so we all have to be able to live in harmony.