25 thoughts on “Extra Credit Blog on Education

1. Philip Johnson

1. This video portrays the idea of how school, rather than being fun and engaging activities, is just a monotonous, stress-filled, extremely heavily-work loaded system that is killing the spirit of many students. These students all look extremely unhappy and stressed about their classes and it seems that college has stripped every ounce of happiness/ creativity out of them and they are now machines that HAVE to do all of these different tasks throughout their day to ultimately have a successful life. The students in the class all look like drained robots that haven’t slept in day since they have so much to do.

2.I actually don’t agree with what this video is trying to say because even though college has a lot of work and can be slightly overwhelming at times, it’s not like it JUST became that way. My mom tells me stories of when she went to U of M in the 80s and her amount of workload. Compared to how much work my sister has now up at Michigan, my mom had just as much 20 years ago in college. Even with this work most of the college students that I know don’t really hate their life. Even though they might be stressed during classes and all of that they still have all the parties and fun things to do that really balance it out. Schoolwork for me is never so long and overwhelming each night that it stresses me out a lot even with honors classes.

3.I think one thing the teachers could learn from the video is that giving unnecessarily long homework assignments is probably not the way to go since it stresses people out. The quality is the main thing they should focus on since that’s what’s important. They could also learn that the students have lives outside of class so they may not have time to finish all of their homework realistically AND sleep since the people in the video had such busy schedules. Third, they could learn that having smaller class sizes will help their college students more since the kids would be less stressed if they had the opportunity to have smaller classes and more individual attention since they would understand the material more.

2. hannah voigt

The picture painted of students is scarily accurate. The video shows that students are absorbed by the technology that surrounds them and are well aware of how much time they spend on computers and their cell phones. I can relate directly to these students and there knowledge of what is important. I resent wasting hours learning about irrelevant knowledge like “sentence structuring” or realism views on taxes. There is no disagreement that a lot is expected from students and electronics are as much a distraction as they are an aid, however the social networking sites rarely aid today’s teens.

I think this video accurately portrays SOME students. For every kid lolling away the hours checking his or her email there is another student hard at work. I admit I wish I had the self-control to focus more on school and not on what my friends write on their wall. but I know I fare better then some peers of mine (who shall go unnamed) replace homework for electronics and reruns of their favorite television shows. It will be a sad, dark day when Snooki holds more of the youth’s attention then books.

The top three things teachers and educators could learn from this video would be as followed 1. Make an honest effort to convince me that what you are teaching is worth my time and attention. This sounds harsh and self-centered but the truth is students will pay less attention to something they cannot see mattering in the future. 2. Three words: Hands on activities. A student will learn more in a wax museum of historical figures then listening to a lecture on historical figures. And 3. Be enthusiastic about what you teach. Nuff said

3. Eleanor Chalifoux

1.The video shows that students have to be multitask-ers even more than they have before. As shown in the video, all the hours spent on different activities/things during the day add up to over 24 hours. Sure, some of the time is spent on non-productive things like Facebook and cell phone use but no one mentioned hanging out with friend. Technology is basically used as a substitute to actually seeing friends because everyone seems to be too busy.

2.I believe it does. Some of the technology based stats may be a little exaggerated but then again some people spend more time than others. Students are forced to be multitask-ers and school can be very demanding.

3.I think teachers can take a lot from this video. Students today are used to technology and the use of technology in the classroom can be a definite plus. I like blogging rather than answering questions from a book. Typing and using the internet are very convenient and I enjoy it a lot more. Movies, pictures and diagrams are also very helpful visual tools for learning. This video also helps teachers remember all the pressure on students. All the work and then constant want/need to fit in among peers leads to a lot of stress. I think the movie did a good job of presenting all those factors. Lastly, like the movie mentioned, students need a good relationship with their teachers to excel. Stat about class sizes and student-teacher familiarity in the video helps reinforce this point.

4. Fred Ayres

1. This video shows me exactly how hard college is. It’s no walk in the park or party that lasts all night long. It’s tough work. The video portrays that the work is too tough and that college students are suffering. I say to hell with that! College is challenging for a reason: to prepare you for life. The video shows me how wimpy and bitchy college students truly are. I’m sorry that they didn’t realize what they signed up for. College is rough; they’ve just got to deal with it.

2. Considering they only collaborated with 200 students, likely all at the same college, this video paints a much skewed view of college students and college life. If you’re been managing your time throughout high school, higher education should be no sweat. The only problem I have with the current system is the rising cost of tuition—the video addresses this subtly.

3. 1) A teacher could learn that his/her students are all secretly plotting against them. This video shows how little respect students have for their educators, most of whom work tirelessly. I suppose if college professors engaged more with their students, they wouldn’t have this problem.
    2) The majority of college students are slackers. Even though this video was made a few years ago, the things within it are shocking. It’s so hypocritical to say that some people live on less than $1 a day and the laptop and the college that mommy and daddy paid for won’t help me help them! Get it a rest! I hope teachers now realize that their pupils don’t want to be in their class and want to get out of there as soon as possible.
    3) Teachers should learn that, if anything, they are feeding the fire. They are igniting this sense of rebellion in the hearts and minds of their students.

I picked these topics because the video was far too short and generalized to be any more in-depth.

5. Cameron Crawford-Mook

I think the video portrays students as motivated, but not wanting to work on things that they don’t find useful to their lives. I think that it shows college students questioning what the older generation and establishment is telling them, and not being satisfied with “because that’s the way it works” as an answer. I was particularly struck by the comment that one guy made that said he would spend $100 on a text book that he would never open. I’m not in college, but I can imagine that when I get there and every dollar is precious to me, I wont be very happy with having to spend a large amount of money on something that I never use. Especially toward the end, I think the video presents an image of a college student that is more tuned into the social happenings around them than they are to their studies. I would tend to agree with that assessment; I do think most people, me included, spend an exorbitant amount of time on the internet, cell phones, computers etc, but I also think its important to point out that the students said that the did spend 3 hours a night studying. One of the biggest messages that teachers should take away from this video is that students aren’t motivated if they don’t see a direct application between what they’re learning and their lives. I know that I tend to procrastinate, not try very hard and do a mediocre job on work that I consider just “busy work”. However, when something piques my interest, I tend to work hard and be more into an assignment—something that I think my teachers really notice. I think teachers should be more flexible when assigning work—forcing me to begrudgingly work on a worksheet wont make me learn the material, it will only make me dislike the class. Perhaps the teachers could come up with a way to make the assignment more interesting. Instead of telling us to place events in order using an assigned template, maybe they could encourage students to create a visual presentation, complete with color and pictures.

6. Sarah Szekely

1) This video portrays the average student as overworked frankly. They say they spend hours every day on their phones, facebooks and IPods, but then they say they are multitasking. They get very little sleep, study their butts off and work to earn their way in this world and they only have these seemingly slacking behaviors because they need an ounce of something other than school, work, and sleep in their lives or they would go insane. But they can’t do all that and still get everything done so they do it at the same time. It shows them stressed, depressed and overall cold, and unenthusiastic toward learning or possibly in even toward life in general
    2) I think this video is accurate. Even if this video portrays college students, I still feel the same as a lot of those students. I feel overworked sometimes and the stress of the world comes down on me when I feel the most stressful and I sometimes feel certain subjects or things that I am learning are completely irrelevant to what I will have to do in the real world away from school, when I am an adult, trying to piece together my own life. Now some may say that it portrays the students as slackers, but they only slack because they aren’t interested in school anymore and they’re so overworked and bored with the subjects, they can’t find the motivation to be more interested.
    3) 1. Students don’t pay attention because they find the information tedious and irrelevant or they can’t be more attentive because of the lack of sleep they got trying to do everything that has landed on their plate. 2. Teachers should try to vary work. Doing the same thing over and over again but with different subjects just makes things worse. 3. Maybe lightening the load every once in awhile could help. When I have a day with very little homework, I feel like I want to get more done because I don’t HAVE to. I picked these topics because I think the source of most of this picture the video paints is a mixture of boredom, stress, and bitter feelings toward the curriculum.

7. Alex Cooper

1. The picture that this video paints of today’s students in my opinion is that technology is interfering in the way of the student’s ability to learn. Students are so preoccupied with what’s going on with everyone else’s social life which distracts them from actually learning. I myself can say that this has happened to me at some point of my life as well. The students in this video make it seem like technology is more important than actually learning which makes them have to multi-task while doing their homework, studying, and going on the computer. As it showed in the video, some students live a 26 and a half hour day in only a 24 hour day. This is probably what makes most kids so stressed out because they are too busy to do their homework and study.
    2. I believe that this video accurately represents most students. Students have become to care less about their school work, and more about what everyone around them is doing. Some of the stuff in the video that they held up I completely agree with it. For example, I don’t think that everything they teach us in school is going to be helpful out in the real world. Also when they said that students only read 49% of the reading that they are assigned, I think this is also true. The kids in this video are shown as lazy and not-caring about school, and I believe that this is accurate to a point. There is a amount of students that does care about their school work, and doesn’t let technology get in the way of it. But on the other hand, there is a same amount of students that doesn’t care about letting technology interfere with their work.
    3. Three things that I think a teacher can learn from this video is:
    1. Students are becoming less and less attentive to their school work, which could mean that the teachers aren’t putting as much effort to make the material entertaining and interesting.
    2. Whiteboards and chalkboards aren’t as interesting to learn from than technology. Teachers should try making interesting slideshows, or analogies that relate to the material that we would be learning.
    3. If the teacher is interested in the material, then the student could become more interested than if the teacher was just as bored as the student. If the teacher isn’t engaged in the work then the student has no reason to be engaged in it.
    I choose these topics because as technology advances become bigger and bigger, teachers need to figure out a way to distract the students from the computer to actually learn something from school.

8. Riley Landgraf

1. This video shows that today’s college students are too focused on the internet and social websites to pay attention in class. Also, it also says that their teachers are impersonal and most of the topics they talk about do not relate to them. I think this is sad because college is one of the best times of your life and to me its where you find the one thing that you want to do for the rest of your life and these students are looking at going to class as a burden. I do not want that to be me.
    2. I think it does represent a factual picture because I think spending time on Facebook and the internet does take up a big part of a college students life. They try to multitask when getting things done but that doesn’t always work. I think it is definitely true that 18% of teachers know one kids name and that the problems that they deal with in class do not usually apply to them.
    3. Relate the things you teach in class to the students life – A lot of students do not get why they need to learn about solving equations or a single battle in WWI. It would help if a teacher would say, we are learning this because… or what we, as students, can take away from this event because I see teachers as the other set of people besides our parents who prepare us for life outside of school.

Give students a break after a while – I think it is fine getting homework and I understand why teachers do it, but if someone is struggling in class and they have to do homework night after night and a lot of it, they are going to give up after a while or if you have a student who has classes where all of his or her classes give homework every night then they are going to eventually not do it every so often. Sometimes we honestly just need a break.

Be Personal – Most teachers do this but if there is a student not doing well then the teacher has to talk to him or her and let them know and try to help. It might be something outside of school that a teacher could help with or they just aren’t understanding the topic as much as they need to. A teacher can help a lot if they just listen.

9. Eli Sherman

1) This video seems to depict the fact that these days college students are being forced into activities and work that they would rather not do. When we are in college, it is supposed to be the most educational time of our lives, but it also is one of the most social. Classes and culture clash and students are forced to make the choice between their education and their hobbies/interests. In many instances people can drop the ball and get hurt. A student who tries to hard in class will neglect their friends and feel socially inadequate. A person who spends all their time partying will fail and be forced to drop out.
    2) This picture does present an accurate portrayal of today’s current education system. Kids are too distracted by technology today. Facebook and other sites like it have become one of the most prolific activities in their lives. While some of the items discussed in the video are not necessarily detrimental (ie. listening to music), kids need to learn to take a break from all the social actions they partake in. People who spend too much time on Facebook for example, will eventually post something incriminating that could prevent them from getting a job or into college or grad school.
    3) From watching the video, a teacher could learn to communicate better with their students, give less homework, and also preach minimizing the use of the internet. Communication with students (in person. not online) would make students more likely to discuss with their teachers topics that they are uncomfortable discussing with their own parents such as poor grades and pressure to succeed. Students are under a lot of pressure and stress. Alleviating this stress makes them less susceptible to dropping the ball somewhere. Giving less homework also relieves stress. When kids don’t have to worry about homework they can relax and spend more time with their families and friends. Facebook has become so popular because its a procrastination tool. I personally use the site about 1% as much during the summer as I do during school. If teachers preach to students that they use the internet less (and the students listen of course), the students’ lives will become much safer. Kids will spend less time talking to possible strangers and submitting personal information to places that they shouldn’t. Unfortunately, it is possible for some, the damage may have already been done.

10. Denny Walsh

1. This video paints a picture of students that feel as though they are overwhelmed by the stress of college life. They also think that the current education system is inadequate and isn’t teaching them the things that they need to learn. The students also spend a lot of time using technology that distracts them from their learning. It shows a view of students that are highly detached from learning because they are not being taught anything that they find to be important or useful for their futures.
    2. I do not think that this video presents an accurate picture. This is because the video first of all comes from the opinions of only 200 students from one university which cannot possibly be a representative sample for the entire country. I also don’t think the video presents an accurate picture because although there are some things that students learn that they will not directly need for their careers, they do 2 vitally important things. The first thing is that they keep the options open for a student in case they change their mind about what they want to do for the rest of their life. The second thing is that it gives good practice for problem solving and other techniques for learning and life that they will use no matter what field of study they enter.
    3.
    1. Students are whiny and will find things to complain about even if these are things that they choose to do and are simply unwilling to accept the consequences for. I think this because in the video the students were complaining about how much time they spent on facebook and their cell phones when those are luxuries that they do not have to use.
    2. Many students consider the current learning process to be boring and because of this will use it as an excuse to not pay attention and learn the information that they need. The students in the video were very lazy and didn’t pay attention in class or do most of their homework. They then went on complaining about how the entire school system is somehow to blame for their incapacity for learning.
    3. Students do not spend enough of their time even trying to learn the material in their classes. Although I think that this is more the fault of the students rather than the teachers, teachers cannot change the attitude of their students. They can, however, change the way that they teach in order to make the students WANT to learn the information more. As a teacher I think that the best thing to do is try to make the learning process more interesting for the students.

11. Declan Gibbons

1. What kind of picture does this video paint of today’s students (yes, college students, but one day soon, you will be one of them)?
    A: The picture that is painted shows a few things. It shows how hard working the students are, how distracted they are by modern day technology, and what health risks they take by having such a busy schedule. Students are very dedicated to their “works” in today’s world. Collages have raised their standards and people think to get a great job and be successful you need to go to a great four year university. High school students with high GPA’s spend about two to three hours a night doing homework and if they are in an activity after school not much time is left for leisure. For most six figure paying jobs you do have to get into an honorable university. For example if an attorney wants to work at a top notch firm they have to go to a great collage and or law school. This video shows that students are very distracted by technology. Some of the kids held up the signs that said three hours on a cell phone or two hours on the internet, which is ridiculous, those items shouldn’t be that addicting. I feel the piece of technology that would most be addicting is TV because it does all the work for you, but there is no way someone should be on their cell phone for multiple hours. I feel that these overstocked schedules can cause health risks, kids are having a lack of sleep and being overworked to the point where all the homework and training doesn’t matter because of how worn down these students are.

2. Do you think this video presents an accurate picture? Why or why not?
    A: I feel it only paints an accurate picture for kids who are the hardest workers. I feel that it’s more describing the type of kid that takes all AP classes and is trying to get into Harvard, which is a lot less than most. Most kids get A’s, B’s, and a few C’s and get into a decent smaller university. The kids that go to a decent collage and get A’s, B’s, and C’s spend more like an hour and a half each night on homework compared to three. So the picture that’s painted is accurate, but for only a small portion of students.

3. What do you think are the top three things that a teacher could learn from this video? Why do you choose these three topics?
    A: I don’t think that from this video you could get three things that teachers learn, because I don’t quite think it’s a completely a teacher problem, they could partially help but not completely. Teachers could help by limiting homework, but with the decrease of homework the amount of repetition goes down which means test scores will too. But the top three things that teachers could learn are 1. Not to focus as much on students getting credit for things they won’t remember but credit for things that will actually help them learn the concept for example, apush and note cards. This would give them a cushion for their grade and increase knowledge to up the students test scores. 2. The teachers should have more student interactions and study clubs after school to the point where the students could make flashcards with each other and study with someone who’s on a similar level as you because if you interact with someone else and talk about the material the student would memorize it better. 3. The teachers probably also learned to take in account all of the technological “ distractions” so instead of doing book work and having kids board they could do moodle assignments and blogs, while their switching between face book or twitter.

12. Chase Dino Turner

1
    This video shows how kids are swamped with way to much work and they asre incredibly overwhelmed with tons upon tons of work, and have no time for anything but school. kids have no time for sleep and no time for social life its terrible and all of this crap they teach them is irrelavent people think if they blow tons and tons of meaning less info upon students they will learn and get smarter, but in reality thats not true at all, the teachers need to give less work because with all of this meaning less info no body is learning anywhere. this video shows how kids are very sad and have no time for anything. the thing that frustrates me the most, and what i find to be the most true part of this is how college students leave college with a TON of dept in the 20k’s and maybe more. its rediculous they buy books they dont even open? whats the point? in our economic times people cant afford to be buying 100$ unopened text books. the worst part is kids do all of this studying and work for a job that they probably wont have eventhough every one tells you that if you study and work hard youll have a good job when you older, thats not true! at all its a load of bs people sacrifice everything to sutdy and leave college poor tens of thousands in dept and unemployed? are you kidding that is comepletely rediculios

2
    This video presents a spot on picture of education in society now a days, now im not one of those kids that goes home does hw and studys all night i dont have the time i get home from baseball and the LAST thing i want to do is study a load of stuff that i wont ever use when im older, i know this is all a part of the learning process but school starts way to early 6am waking up daily? are u kidding i cant funtion and by the time i get home from baseball im dead tired. if school started later i guarentte i would be a 3.7-3.9 student rather then a 2.9-3.2 student. this afffects my future. if schoool started at 9 and ended at 3 45 i coulld learn and have the enegy to study and do my homework rather than coming home and falling striahgt asleep. overall this is a very very accurate picture of education in our society in this day and age.

3
    I think that the top three things a teacher could learn from this is dont overload kids with Home work its unessessary i guarente 90% of the kids dont do it, and when they do t]hey copy off of the 10% who do! homework is just a reason for teachers to not teach. another thing is start off school it starts way to early and barely any kids get good sleep because ALL OF THE HOMEWORK they have to do, i try to always get good sleep i go to bed at 10-1030 every night and if i didnt finish all my home work so what sleep is more important and even sleeping from 10-6 im dead tired unable to funtion the only time i can get studying done is tuesdays/thursdays/sundays. the third and final thing that teachers could learn from this video is TEACH YOUR CLASS dont just say read these pages and theres a test next friday you just stress kids out. see we think our education system works but really its terrible maynbe thats why we are so incredibly far behind every other country in the world. it is quite sad to be honest. even tests are stupid they honestly dont reflect your knowledge on the topic because i know i have know sutff like the back of my hand but i cant do the test and then sometimes ill know nothing but ill get an A! its crazy i feel as a whole education is messed up in our country.

13. Brittany Kashat

1. This video portrays a similarity to today’s students in the sense that we are very busy and have to be multi-taskers when it comes to juggling schoolwork, our social life, leisure activities, and more. And trying to balance out all these tasks isn’t easy; some tasks take priority over others. While school work should be the first priority in the eyes of the teacher, it usually isn’t in the eyes of a student.
    2. This video presents an accurate picture of most, but not all students, because not everyone is obsessed with checking their facebook or twitter account like the students who spend 3 ½ hours online every day. While many students I know actually do spend that much time online, there are also students I know who are briefly online for about 30 minutes each day. I do admit that I have wasted some of my days online, but I am not constantly online like others. Also, the statement that a student made saying that she only reads 49% of what is assigned that only 26% is relevant to her life is completely accurate. Almost all students now are like that. I usually read about half of what is assigned because it is boring and usually irrelevant to my future. I won’t remember the Krebs Cycle or any of the many acts we have learned in history, unless I am majoring in one of those fields. I learn these things for the tests, but then forget about them a month later.
    3. The 3 top things that a teacher could learn from this video are: A) Students have lives outside of school that constitutes activities other than homework. Teachers are under the delusion that their class is always top priority, and that there should be no excuse to not do the homework that was assigned. However, they don’t realize that we have homework in 4 other classes and extracurricular activities; this means that we must prioritize our homework in order of importance. So, the homework that is worth 10 points won’t get done on super busy nights. B) The reason most students aren’t attentive during class is because taking notes or listening to lectures is boring. As students, we don’t have great attention spans for that kind of stuff. I suggest that teachers should take their classes on more field trips to shake things up and make things more interesting. I used to take so many field trips in elementary school; it’s what made school fun. I also used to take field trips in middle school. It might not have been as many as in elementary school, but there was a field trip every so often. However, I have not had 1 field trip in high school, and that’s just sad. C) Some of my teachers complain about how they are so behind in their grading, and yet continue to assign lengthy homework assignment, in which they will also have to grade. If teachers are behind, they should assign smaller homework assignments, or not as many.

I chose these 3 topics because I don’t think teachers are aware of these issues, and the video either briefly talked about them, or not at all.

14. Brad Miller

1. This video paints the picture that most students have so many things to deal with on a day to day basis that we have become multitasking machines and that technology and our social life holds as much weight as our education or even more sometimes. As I am writing this I have my email open, youtube open, facebook open, and listening to music at the same time. It is the way we are in this generation. This video portrays the truth that if only there were more hours in a day, then maybe we could accomplish all of our goals for one day.
    2. This video is pretty accurate when the students hold signs up about how long they do a specific activity. For the most part, we don’t read the assigned material because it either doesn’t relate to us, are too busy with a full schedule, or we don’t think it is relevant to us because we have so many other problems that cloud our minds each and every day. The one girl said she got 7 hours of sleep each night. I get less than that everynight because in the spring season I play a sport that takes up time than a full load of honors and AP courses that are extremely over-demanding at times and teachers realize that we have other activities but overload us anyway thinking it will be better for us to get that kind of pressure to get something done in a short amount of time, but really, it ruins us and makes us miserable.
    3. The top three things a teacher could learn from this video are that if we learn the material in class and get less homework, we will do better on the exams. Second, the teachers should learn that they need to let us students be young and enjoy are young years. Third, teachers need to make the readings relevant for the most part. I could care less about Romeo and Juliet, I want to read something that relates to my life right now, and something that I can apply to my life as a high school student.

15. Samuel Kepes

1.The video gives me a mixed view of students today. There are a lot of facts and ideas that make it seem like their lives are rough and college is very hard. Especially that they only sleep 7 hours a day and in that time they have over 24 hours of things they do so they multi-task. Then there were a lot of things that makes them seem like irresponsible kids. I think the best example of that was the signs they held up showing how much school reading they do compared to on the internet and in emails. This paints a slightly off image for me because you want to feel bad for them and all the work they have, or so they have, but they are also wasting so much time doing things they don’t have to.

2.I think the idea, or picture that is painted of an average college student is accurate. IT is an accurate picture because it shows that kids do a lot of things in there day, but not always the right things.

3.I think one thing teachers could learn is how students end up multi-tasking to get everything done in the day that they need. They could learn that maybe they need to assign less or smaller amounts of homework so students have time to do other things. A second thing they could learn is that students read less than half of what is assigned to them. I chose this because maybe it will show to teachers that instead of just assigning reading and then expecting everyone to do it, they can teach the stuff in class for those who don’t have the time to read. The third thing teachers could learn is that kids spend a lot more time on other things aside from school work. They could learn that maybe they need to make their home work more interesting in order to get kids to spend more time on it.

16. Michael Nona

1. This video shows how stressful life as a student can be. In college you need to pay thousands of dollars for books, classes living expenses and anything else you buy. In school you don’t have to worry only about that but also getting good grades, writing essays, preparing for finals and other tests. It is important to stay focused on the most important things. A similarity to high school is you have so much to do and so little time. I think people under estimate the amount of work students actually do.
    2. I think this video does portray an accurate picture of the life of a student. Although I am not in college myself I know several people who are. They often have a lot of stress dealing with the work and some need jobs to help pay for college. Most of them will end up in debt by graduation.
    3. Three things I think teachers should learn from this video are to assign less work, work with students more and to relax. Many teachers think that they are saints because they don’t assign homework one day but they fail to realize we still have four more classes that we get homework from. Some say they only assigned one thing and it should be completed but maybe another teacher assigned several assignments. These are arguments many students are familiar with. Another thing is to work with students more. Some students feel like a number, not a person in class and that is a bad thing. Lastly teachers need to relax more. In my experience I learn more from a teacher I like, not an angry one.

17. Rob Swor

1: This video shows that students now are stressed out, but at the same time irresponsible about their work. For instance,it showed that students had to multitask just to make it through the day, doing 26.5 hours of activities in 24 hours. However, the stats they showed about the kids’ free time compared to schoolwork also made them seem like they lacked dedication to their work, such as when they showed what kids were doing during their classes.

2: I think the video does represent an accurate picture. I know that I, for one, don’t spend hours upon hours on homework at night working the whole time, and I know plenty of other people don’t either. However, a lot of people are still dedicated enough to their work that they will do it.

3: I think the top three things teachers could learn from this video are to be more personal, to assign a workload that is more likely to be completed, and they should focus on making classes more interesting. For the first point, there was the one sign that said that only 18% of that girl’s teachers will know her name. A lot of teachers seem to just work and not really talk much with their students and sometimes don’t help them much, if at all. The second point is that a lot of teachers assign reading and other assignments that a student isn’t always likely to get done, such as long readings or assignments that aren’t being turned in or graded. The last point has to do with how many students goof off or pay attention to their own thing in class because they’re not interested. A lot of teachers could make the information being taught much more interesting by throwing in a few more jokes or watching more interesting videos or really anything more than just speaking.

18. Kaylee Brown (2nd hour)

1. I think this video portrays an honest to god average student. I think most of those kids in that class cared about getting an A (or any other grade that they consider good for themselves, like a B), hands down. However, I don’t think those kids want to give up their whole entire social life, and time to themselves to get an A in ONE class that number one, probably won’t matter after they take it and number two, take away maybe two or three lessons IF that at all. I think this shows that students get stressed and that even though they want to do well in a class you can’t give up everything you have for it. They still want time to themselves, which is fair. It really is. I can’t say it’s wrong for them to naturally rather be on the internet than reading for school. Who really wants to do work? However, a lot of students do it, or at least most of it!! And by doing this sometimes they sacrifice time to themselves, friends, family, or worse time to sleep!

2. I definitely think that this video is accurate! I think so because when I read the signs people put up, I related to a few and recognized that there really are only so many hours in a day and there’s just SO much to do as a student, especially. I think it did a really good job showing that students waste their time on Facebook and listening to music, etc. It starts as taking a short 5 minute break and turns into hours that are wasted, yet not because you’re only helping your mental health when you forget all of the stress school bring you.

3. Teachers could learn from this that maybe making you write a whole essay in a day or even two or assigning a huge project and other things like that is a little excessive, and they need to realize students can’t give all of their energy into one class because then others will suffer. Another thing teachers could learn from this is to be a little more interactive. They could try and learn some names and actually walk up to the board rather than sit behind a desk and teach behind a computer. That helps practically no one. You need someone who’s not intimidated in their own classroom. The last thing I think a teacher could take away from this would be not to take anything from their students to personal. I mean honestly, why become a teacher if you’re going to take things students do personally. Students (or rather people). Are. Mean. End of story. Someone is always going to dislike you and someone is always going to love you! Some teachers need to realize that even the student that loves them can’t finish their homework sometimes.

19. Ben Cooper

1. This video paints a depressing sort of picture. The education system has problems and college kids aren’t getting what they need form this system. This video also highlights a lot of waste in today’s education. Students are forced to learn a lot of information that is not pertinent to what they want to do in life. Like one girl said, 25% of half of what she is supposed to read for school pertains to what she wants to pursue in life.
    2. I think that this video does represent an accurate picture of the present American educational system. Many people text during class. And the select few students in high school who use laptops can just as easily play games (or use Facebook). Lots of students in high school don’t do the reading they are assigned. Sometimes they don’t read because it doesn’t concern what they want to do in life, but from my experience the reason is usually laziness (in High School at least). My only problem with this video is that it portrays all students as addicted to technology. They appear to be helpless victims to the allure of Facebook over paying attention in class. Students have the responsibility to take initiative in their learning. College education is not a passive experience.
    3. A) Technology really helps make learning engaging in some situations, but should not be used exclusively, or as a crutch for teachers.
    B) Some students will never take much initiative to learn. This is not your fault. But teachers shouldn’t dismiss all struggling students as lazy.
    C) Teachers shouldn’t assume that their class is the most important class in every student’s schedule. This means that students will often value trying harder in some classes than others on some level.

20. Autumn Palmer

1.The video paints a picture of Today’s students as a changing picture. Technology is changing, and there are more ways to get distracted in class. No longer are you forced to listen to the teacher talking, you can easily multitask with computers, IPods, cell phones, anything that doesn’t have something to do with the teacher. It also implies that students today are more worried about making the grade than about learning the material. There is a huge difference between fact recall, and learning.
    2.I think this video does present an accurate picture. Society now is all about if you don’t go to college, you won’t get a job. I think we are more concerned about the idea of going to college and not the learning experience that we gain from it. If two people are applying for a job, the one that went to the better college is most likely going to get it, even if the other person was more qualified with the actual work. Also, it is easy to get distracted nowadays. There are so many things that we would rather be doing. While doing my homework, I sometimes find myself on Facebook, simply because my homework is boring me. Students are no longer excited about learning because it has turned into a competition, and the winners get the money and the losers get nothing.
    3.One thing a teacher could learn from this video is how much technology plays into our lives. I choose this because technology is a major part of a student’s life. We have access to almost anything, and that can be very distracting while doing tedious homework. Another thing a teacher could learn is how much we are pressured to be the best. Life as a student is always about trying to the best. There are 3 types of students: the ones that try really hard and get ok-good grades and the ones that don’t try because they are afraid of failing. The last thing a teacher could learn is the fact that students are not getting excited about learning new things because it is no longer fun, it’s all about win or lose, there is no in between.

21. Evan Daykin

1. I think this paints a desperate, but one-sided view of college students. To an extent, students are overworked by simply attempting to get into a good college, but the only surefire way of getting in is if you have already cured Cancer and stopped world hunger before Junior year, or if you have an entire building at said college named after your family. The competition is ridiculous and the standards will only get tighter. It also portrays American students as being in a “bubble”, so to speak. The only world they are portrayed as knowing is that of facebook and the internet. This is true for some, but not all. In regards to the laptop, It’s not a matter of yearly income. There are many who won’t make that much in 10 years. A Laptop comparable to the one in the video can cost upwards of 4,000 dollars, not to mention books, room, and board.
    2. I don’t think the video presents a very accurate cross-section of American students. The sample size was 200 students, which couldn’t even come close to an accurate representation of all college students today. This survey only accounted for 1.01% of the American college population [census bureau, Oct-09]. On top of that, they claim near the end that doing tests wouldn’t prepare them to tackle world issues. This is simply not true. There is no way any competent person could take care of any of these issues without any education.
    3.a. teaching a lesson through a video or program not nearly as effective as a teacher. You will never be able to ask a computer to clarify what it just said, or only to an extent programmed into it.
    b. Don’t make us use textbooks that are opened once a year or twice a year, tops. It’s a waste of space and resources.
    c. Assigning hours of mandatory homework is wrong. It should be up to the student to know what and for how long they should study. You can’t force anyone to do well, only those who want to do well will get ahead. When cluelessness sets in on finals day, you will be able to tell like night and day the ones who took responsibility, and those who will be left in the dust as non-contributing members of society.

22. Katia Lev

1. This video makes students look desperate, kindof like they are asking for help. Many students looked exhausted and worn out. I think it seems like the students are claiming that they are too overworked by school but a lot of the things taking up their time, according to their own calculations, were things like Facebook, cell phones, and watching television. It almost seemed as though that could be what was making them so stressed, since generations before this new technology did not seem to have such a grueling time in school, or at least they didn’t publicize it as much, perhaps due to lack of resources such as Youtube and good video cameras.
    2. Even if this wasn’t the intent of the video, I think the portrayal of technology as taking over students’ lives is accurate. I know I have trouble concentrating on homework if I get text messages every 3 minutes and my iPod is plugged in and oh, look, I got a Facebook notification too. Hence my bad habit of doing homework at 10:00 pm if not later, and leading to the lack of sleep that so many students, me included, complain about.
    3.
    1) I think teachers could learn to apply the material we learn to global events such as the wars, poverty, etc. going on. That way students could appreciate what we learn in school more, because they see it as important and having a practical application to real life.
    2) I also think teachers could base less of their tests/exams off the readings in textbooks and more on the discussions we hold in class, because that is how I know I learn best, and how I remember the material after I’ve taken the exam. I definitely know that I forget most of what I’ve read out of a textbook by the time finals come up, but I have a much easier time remembering what we talk about in class.
    3) Teachers could incorporate more group/partner work to encourage student interest in a topic, especially if they are doing a project. However, it stands to reason that with some subjects that is harder to do than with others, and some times it is necessary to just do the bookwork or take the “boring” notes to learn the subject.

23. Erick Dagenais

1. This video shows that now that colleges have way more students and have become more competitive, students get much more work from their professors. It isn’t like how it was 50 years ago where going to college was uncommon. They get distracted by the large number of people in the same classroom and how the teacher rarely addresses a student individually. Students need to study constantly to be prepared for their tests. Not only that, but they need to go to work to pay off debts from college tuition and for basic needs to live. Students get few hours of sleep and find it hard to keep a life outside of schoolwork. Kids are growing up in an era where they need to learn to multitask and manage high levels of stress to succeed.

2. I think that the video is a pretty accurate depiction of how college students live their lives. I have talked with a few college students about college life and got an idea of how it is, and the video reflected most of the things that they said. The information presented in the video is applied to colleges around the nation, not just Kansas State University.

3. One thing that teachers could learn from this video is to use the advancement in technology to their advantage. Instead of the chalkboards/whiteboards, maybe professors should put together slideshows or interactive activities that they could do on a computer. Another thing they could learn is how much stress their students are actually undergoing. The homework and studying, working to pay for debts and needs, and in addition to that maintaining some kind of social life places a ton of stress on people. A third thing teachers could learn is the large of amount of procrastination from students. The typical situation that occurs is that a project is given to be turned in two weeks later. The student says to him/herself: I have two weeks, I have plenty of time. Then work piles up in addition to the project, and the student is overwhelmed with work. I think students need to learn to fight against procrastination and actually do their work early.

24. Andrew Hausman

1. The video represents an incredibly negative side of modern-day students. The video only seems to focus on what is wrong with the system and students themselves. It is nice that it students realize how fortunate they are.
    2. I believe that the items presented in this video are legitimate. However, a significant amount of information is left out. This is only one school that the video is showing. Many other schools are different, including Groves.
    3. a. One of the major things that educators could learn from this video is the power of technology in teaching. The video highlighted the negative effects that technology has on students, and also criticized chalkboards. It also brought up the point that no technology was present. From my own personal experience in the school district,I know that technology is much more engaging than simply copying notes off of a white board. Smart boards are particularly useful, albeit expensive, teaching tools.
    b. This video illuminated the general lack of work ethic that many students have. This knowledge is useful to teachers who blindly assume that students do all the reading and work assigned to them. Almost every student, including myself, puts off homework in favor of other, more enjoyable activities. Teachers must find a way to motivate students to complete all of the work assigned. Although it does not sound good that an educator cannot trust his or her students, one way to persuade students to do every assignment is by giving assessments on all the material.
    c. A third thing that this video could teach educators about students is that students have other activities besides school. This point is related to my previous item. A major reason why students do not put their best effort into completing all of the work is that there is simply not enough time. By giving a smaller quantity of work while emphasizing quality, teachers can assist students in learning better while balancing their busy schedules.

25. David Bellefleur

Extra credit blog
    The video paints a picture of the student being an overworked person who’s life is completely based on school. The part that most described this was when he students held up signs describing their schedule and it came out to longer than a day. This showed that even including the TV time and Internet time spent, there was still only a couple of hours before a day, and they never mentioned sleep I believe. The student seemed to have no time and the things that were spent using time were a waste, like the books that they buy are almost never used. 2. I think that the video represents an accurate portrayal for some students but not all. My brother, who is a student at the university of Michigan, never mentions not having any free time and he spends 3 to 5 hours a day at crew practice. This video accurately portrays a student with something like 5 to 7 classes a semester and a job or other. 3. Teachers can learn to give assignments or tests that instead of just test what you have learn based on books, but how you can apply what you have learned. Also, that a student is not just a thing, they are a person and every person learns a different way and teachers should teach multiple different ways on multiple different occasions. And lastly, teachers or the schools should make classes smaller. Having classes with over a 100 people is ridiculous. Small problems could include hearing, focus, and ability to teach entire class. Classes should be brought down to 20 to 40. This would also help the teacher in knowing their students and offering help outside of class.